• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Returning to the Underground after a Two Year Absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpus63

in 2019 I moved away from the southeast of England and would normally have returned to visit friends and family in Kent and the London area until the pandemic resulted in us being locked down at various times in Wales and advised against anything other than essential travel at many other times. However this week I had to update a little perk with my Oyster card that required me to attend in person at an Underground station. It was the first InterCity journey I had made for that duration as well and I decided that instead of changing off the Cambrian line at Birmingham International I would change at Wolverhampton onto a Northwestern up to Stafford via Penkridge and then catch an Avanti Pendolino from there non-stop to Euston. The InterCity was clean and occupied to about 25% of capacity. I therefore had no problem in finding a comfortable seat far enough away from people to remove my mask and feel safe for both them and I (imho). The air-conditioning was just right and the journey flew. At Euston I decided that the TfL staff would have enough on their hands without dealing with my Oyster issue so I walked up to Euston Square. The staff there were great; efficient and friendly and I would certainly use this station again for the same purpose because the guy who attended to my Oyster card issue was able to juggle dealing with me with other passengers and their more pressing (immediate travel) needs without betraying any sense of being under pressure; plus it was a very hot day. I could have headed straight back to Wales at this point but I thought that was pointless and might as well see what the Underground was like now what with the pandemic and reduced numbers using it etc. I can compare it with travelling at eight o'clock on a Sunday morning in normal times. I took an eastbound Met to Liverpool Street and then the following Circle to Tower Hill where I sought a break from travel and enjoyed refreshment. Then back to Euston via westbound District to Monument and northbound Northern from Bank to Euston. The busiest bit was the Northern Line but there were enough seats for everyone who chose them. Overall I suppose about 70 per cent of people were wearing masks on the Underground (including me I hasten to add). I noticed that a number of people on the train coming to London were bound there for a holiday and there was a reasonable amount of obvious tourism around the Tower of London and St. Katharine's Dock. The trains that I used were clean and the service was efficient at all points that I used. It was a good and reassuring return to the capital after the interval and, oddly, I found it to be friendlier in my experience. Let's hope that the pingdemic and the forthcoming winter don't put the kybosh on what I felt was a tangible recovery.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Revaulx

Thanks for this. I'm off to London with my daughter on Monday for a couple of days and you've given me a good idea of what to expect.

Grumpus63

Thanks for this. I'm off to London with my daughter on Monday for a couple of days and you've given me a good idea of what to expect.
I am pleased that it was of use. I have been in a handful of cities over the past few days and found that London, like Liverpool and Manchester, was certainly showing signs of revival with many cafes and restaurants open in the area of St. Katharine's Dock for example, street vendors operating and the buzz was returning minus the hassle. I hope that you have a good journey and find that your trip is both worthwhile and enjoyable.

rebmcr

Established Member
Let's hope that the pingdemic and the forthcoming winter don't put the kybosh on what I felt was a tangible recovery.
The 'pingdemic' might feel bad, but it is literally replacing further spreading of the virus, so it's absolutely doing its job and contributing to recovery — just in the medium-to-long term instead of the short term.

I'd much rather have a few weeks pinch from the app (and it's already showing a daily reduction in cases) rather than watch the infection rate spike for a fourth time and be forced into another months-long lockdown.

Grumpus63

The 'pingdemic' might feel bad, but it is literally replacing further spreading of the virus, so it's absolutely doing its job and contributing to recovery — just in the medium-to-long term instead of the short term.

I'd much rather have a few weeks pinch from the app (and it's already showing a daily reduction in cases) rather than watch the infection rate spike for a fourth time and be forced into another months-long lockdown.
We are moving into a another stage of this worldwide event and are always learning, certainly. Future generations will look back at this period in our history and all of its rights and wrongs with great interest I'm sure.

Djgr

Established Member

Of course the overwhelming percentage of pings are false alarms and simply cause significant disruption. Comparison of the English and Scottish algorithms suggests that the English one is inappropriately calibrated.

londonteacher

As all schools are now off though, whilst it may have been quiet here it is less likely to be the same. London was much busier on Thursday and Friday than over the last few weeks.

rebmcr

Established Member
Comparison of the English and Scottish algorithms suggests that the English one is inappropriately calibrated.
Quite possibly. Testing and vaccination releases would be good too.
Of course the overwhelming percentage of pings are false alarms and simply cause significant disruption.
No, even an overzealous version still stops the spread. The disription would be best minimised, but it's worth it overall, because the alternative is eventually and inevitably even more disruptive.

ChrisC

Established Member
Even allowing for an increase in numbers using the tube due to the school holidays I found this quite reassuring. I’m going to London on Tuesday for a 7 day break and this will be my first time in London since November 2019. I’m hoping to generally find things quieter than usual due to lack of foreign tourists and hoping amongst other things to visit a few museums. I’m travelling down from Nottingham around midday and so not expecting my MML train to be too busy but was a little apprehensive about using the tube during my stay. I know that we need to get back to normal and that’s what I want to do, but living in a relatively rural area, and not having been into any large cities during the last 18 months, it is a big step for me to visit London again.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I’m going to London on Tuesday for a 7 day break and this will be my first time in London since November 2019. I’m hoping to generally find things quieter than usual due to lack of foreign tourists and hoping amongst other things to visit a few museums.
South Kensington station has been getting quite busy lately, with no Piccadilly Line trains stopping there and leisure traffic building up again.
The station will be completely closed 31 July/1 August and 4-12 August.

Grumpus63

South Kensington station has been getting quite busy lately, with no Piccadilly Line trains stopping there and leisure traffic building up again.
The station will be completely closed 31 July/1 August and 4-12 August.
That's useful info, thanks. Remember that when South Kensington Underground is closed it can be a pleasant way to reach the museums by alighting at Hyde Park Corner on the Piccadilly Line and walking through Hyde Park along, or parallel to Rotten Row (much nicer than the name suggests). When you see the Royal Albert Hall on the left the museums are pretty much right behind it.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are times when the Underground is quiet but it isn’t always like that. This was the Victoria Line on Friday evening at 18:00. A good service was operating.

Attachments

• 77CAC341-D5B7-4C8A-A770-AFC85CE22976.jpeg
    77CAC341-D5B7-4C8A-A770-AFC85CE22976.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88

Dstock7080

Established Member
There are times when the Underground is quiet but it isn’t always like that. This was the Victoria Line on Friday evening at 18:00. A good service was operating.
although a "good service" was advertised on the Victoria, as a regular even service was provided, only half the 40 scheduled trains were operating.

PeterC

Established Member
although a "good service" was advertised on the Victoria, as a regular even service was provided, only half the 40 scheduled trains were operating.
I thought that in TfL speak "good" meant that its not bad enough to justify an taking alternative route.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought that in TfL speak "good" meant that its not bad enough to justify an taking alternative route.
I've heard that too. I believe there need to be gaps of more than one train missing before delays are reported.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I suppose for the Victoria it's so busy in the central sections anything less than about 2-3 minute frequency (especially on a warm Friday evening after restrictions lifted) will cause crowding.

westv

Established Member
Just a minor point to the OP. I find it easier to read long posts if there is some spacing in the text.

Turtle

I've heard that too. I believe there need to be gaps of more than one train missing before delays are reported.
Terms like "Good Service" should never have been used in the first place as they are purely subjective. The correct term for "Good Service" would be "Scheduled Service Operating" with similar terms of reduced or emergency service etc.

Grumpus63

You know that's not what I said. :rolleyes:
No need for the eye-rolling. I assumed that your meant that my posts were rather too verbose. Now, upon looking back, I can only assume that you are commenting on my lack of paragraphing. This is a fair point; with some social media I am frightened to press the return key in case it sends the post before I was finished.

I can see now that there is no need to fear that here and can break the posts up properly.

rebmcr

Established Member
with some social media I am frightened to press the return key in case it sends the post before I was finished.
You can usually press Shift with Return to make it understand that you only want a line break.

This is specifically a line break though, rather than a paragraph, so when using software that makes a distinction between those, two lots of Shift+Return are required for the necessary spacing.

Grumpus63

You can usually press Shift with Return to make it understand that you only want a line break.

This is specifically a line break though, rather than a paragraph, so when using software that makes a distinction between those, two lots of Shift+Return are required for the necessary spacing.
Thanks, that's useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.