• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revealing personal details on forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydro

Established Member
I try not to reveal too much. I've just been for a dump.

Oh, bugger.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crimson_Quiff

I would say I'm 50/50 when it comes to revealing who I am!

I don't mind giving out my name, town where I live and also pics of myself on the web I have no issues with. That way, if people would like to speak to me in person, they know who I am. I don't mind whether it's good or bad, I'm certainly no coward when it comes to voicing my opinions on public forums and someone wanting to challenge that opinion in person. Absolutely, go for it.
It becomes a problem if someone wants to kill you, however! :lol:

The stuff I do not give away that easily is mobile and private phone numbers, my address etc. My job is also something I don't go shouting about. It's nothing I'm ashamed of, I just I prefer to keep my working life off the internet!

Only my email address is visable in the public domain on the net.

deltic1989

Established Member
I will reveal, personal details to a point. I will only give such information as I would normally give on meeting a person, for example my real name and age, which I have posted on these forums before, for those that missed it my real name is Chris and I'm 23, also people will be aware that i have 3 children and l live in Lincoln, i see no issue with people knowing the city I live in as long as I don't plaster my adress all ove the internet, In fact another forum I am on has my real name as my username. Beyond that I will never give out further details online (after saying that I beleive my date of birth is on facebook which I seldom use). But there can also be problems when someone with a grudge takes your username from a forum and uses it to post unsavory things elsewhere, this actually happened to me where someone I had a long standing disagreement with (going back to school), discoverd my username from this forum and posted some frankly disgusting comments on an article on my local newspapers website.
Its horses for courses really, everyones view on what, and what not to reveal online will be different.

Mvann

I have facebook, but it's more of a way to keep in contact with people I used to work with and old school friends. Even then, the last eleven years of work are not listed. I have always used mvann as a game/forum/chat room name. This name is used as few people know what it means and there are only one or two other mvann's about the place.

Established Member
The only concern I have on here is some train companies are snooping on here... one company, when cornered, admitted they do this in open court. That said, if they still have any doubts about who I am by now, they really must be daft.

Chew Chew

For me I tend to give away very little.

I post on 3 fora. 2 about football and occasionally on here.

On here if someone was to do a bit of digging on my previous posts they'd be able to work out where I live but that would be about it.

On one of the football sites I post on I've met loads of the other posters and quite a few of them are my mates in the real world as well so they know a decent amount about me but for others I haven't met they'd know very little at all.

Facebook wise, I don't add people I've never met in person, my birthday isn't publicly available, I haven't added any details of what school/uni I went to or who I work for, I don't add Apps as that would mean my details are forwarded on, I don't allow my details to be used for Facebook adverts and only my 'friends' on there can look me up by name.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I tend to give away a lot of info but that's just me. I do not intend to but I actually couldn't care less about whether people know stuff or not.

I've give my full name, town, age out. That's freely available but never my address or phone number. I couldn't care less if people know where I go to University, whether they know what political party, football team I support or where I am (twitter).

I use facebook and if people want it, I give it if I want to. I couldn't care less.

That's me though.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.