• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue collection on Valley Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp01

Minor rant #3 of 3 for today.

This one concerns revenue collection on the valley lines in south Wales. Over the last few years I'd guess that on around one-quarter of the journeys my kids have made on the valley lines, they've not been asked to pay a fare. I don't really understand this since the trains are often quite empty and it must be relatively easy for the train manager to walk up and down and collect unpaid fares, especially from people boarding at stations where there is no ticket buying facillity at all. OK, it's only a quid or two each time, but surely it all adds up to a load of lost revenue for ATW? Am I missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We've had a lot of these threads recently (here's just one example: Bizarre experience on East Coast), I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said though!

I know some people won't like this, but perhaps the way things are done with the Glasgow electrics is best, with a member of staff dedicated to selling/checking tickets on each train.

Carlisle

Established Member
We've had a lot of these threads recently (here's just one example: Bizarre experience on East Coast), I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said though!

I know some people won't like this, but perhaps the way things are done with the Glasgow electrics is best, with a member of staff dedicated to selling/checking tickets on each train.

There must be a particular problem on those local lines cos i can remember the above suggestion being made in the latter days of BR

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have travelled on the Valley Lines a fair bit, and most of the trains I have caught have been 4 coaches (2 x 2 car units), often with no gangway connection. Many of the station stops are close together. At some stations, with no ticket office or issuing facilities whatsoever, large numbers of passengers board. My last journey was about an hour (Cardiff - Treherbert) but many people used the train for 'short hops', with only a small number on the train for the entire trip. The guard seemed to be able to reach most people, but not all. When large groups boarded towards the end of the journey, it became clear that it would be impossible to issue tickets to everyone.

A week later I was on local services in Strathclyde, where the train was regularly patrolled by a ticket inspector, who tended to start checking even before the train departed the origin station, and were able to continue to check tickets at all times, as they do not have responsibilities such as opening/closing doors. They don't have a cab to go to, so they are always visible (though most trains were 6-car, using 3-car units, so again they can only be in one portion of the train at any one time).

Qwerty133

Established Member

at least when in these situations (when the guard doesn't get round), and there's manned ticket barriers the staff (with ticket machines!) could sell the passengers tickets instead of letting them through.
yes this is a common occurrence on my local line (Birmingham to Leicester)

Carlisle

Established Member
Yes an interesting comparason guess after electrification or new stock then we have the same old scenario debated thousands of times already it will come down to if the operator at the time wishes to challenge the unions or not

Established Member

Not always the case. There are equally some bone-idle TIs on Scotrail (I drink with one self confessed one) and conversely, there are some ultra keen guards who would do tickets between Oxford Road and Piccadilly given the chance.

TPJ

There are some that check between Cardiff Central and Queen St

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
there are some ultra keen guards who would do tickets between Oxford Road and Piccadilly given the chance.

Reminds me of when I recently had a ticket check between Waterloo East and London Bridge :)

Northerner

I work over the greenford branch, and a vast amount of the time it's a free railway. People just pop on and off. I know one particular driver who makes an announcement saying there will be a ticket check at the next stop, and then watch half of the train get off!

mp01

I have travelled on the Valley Lines a fair bit, and most of the trains I have caught have been 4 coaches (2 x 2 car units), often with no gangway connection. Many of the station stops are close together. At some stations, with no ticket office or issuing facilities whatsoever, large numbers of passengers board. My last journey was about an hour (Cardiff - Treherbert) but many people used the train for 'short hops', with only a small number on the train for the entire trip. The guard seemed to be able to reach most people, but not all. When large groups boarded towards the end of the journey, it became clear that it would be impossible to issue tickets to everyone.

A week later I was on local services in Strathclyde, where the train was regularly patrolled by a ticket inspector, who tended to start checking even before the train departed the origin station, and were able to continue to check tickets at all times, as they do not have responsibilities such as opening/closing doors. They don't have a cab to go to, so they are always visible (though most trains were 6-car, using 3-car units, so again they can only be in one portion of the train at any one time).

Many of them are, but the worst case I've seen is where my son was the only one who boarded at a particular station, the guard walked past him on the train, and he was on it for 45 minutes, but not asked for a fare.

Ho hum, I suppose.

RP

My experience has been variable. Some of my work-related meetings have involved train travel from Ystrad Mynach to Cardiff Central and ticket checking or sale has been distinctly lacklustre, particularly from some of the intermediate stations, but better coming back. On our own local line (Risca to Cardiff) the ticket checks are generally efficient in both directions and in my experience, have been since the trains restarted in 2008. There are also TVMs at the Ebbw Vale line stations but none, as far as I know, on the Rhymney Valley (but there are ticket offices at least part of the day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.