• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue protection officer GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joshuan542

I'm currently an RCO on TL North.

Shifts are from around 0600 to latest around 2300, stations vary on shift patterns but Elstree and Harpenden have the best at the moment on TL north.

Plenty of overtime, salary is currently £24,699 P.A

Good way to jump into the railway, then progress, I am currently awaiting news on a passenger host role which is the next step up from RCO.

Jonboy79

Have been invited for interview today, does anyone have any tips regarding the interview please???

P1066

@joshuan542 can I ask a couple of questions about the RCO role at Luton?

Are the majority of the shifts train friendly ie so that you can use the train to get/from Bedford to Luton for work?

How many hours a week do you work?

On the advert the salary is given as £24K + allowances, do you know how much the allowances are?

I'm currently an RCO on TL North.

Shifts are from around 0600 to latest around 2300, stations vary on shift patterns but Elstree and Harpenden have the best at the moment on TL north.

Plenty of overtime, salary is currently £24,699 P.A

Good way to jump into the railway, then progress, I am currently awaiting news on a passenger host role which is the next step up from RCO.
When you say there is plenty of overtime, can you tell me roughly what you could earn?

Thanks

joshuan542

Sure thing, luckily the network runs almost a 24 hour operation and any shifts are easily met from Bedford to Luton.

we currently work a 39 hour week and the salary at this moment is 24,699 paid every 4 weeks so there are 13 paydays a year (the two paydays in one month usually are each January)

unfortunately I am unaware of allowances, LAP may work in a different salary base at this moment

joshuan542

When you say there is plenty of overtime, can you tell me roughly what you could earn?

Thanks

with regards to earnings overtime is paid at the base rate of your hourly rate which equates on a normal shift to around £11-12 per hour

P1066

How long are the shifts? Does the shift pattern have a good work life balance?

joshuan542

It does depend on station but lost stations have a pretty nice roster pattern. Shifts are 4 x 8 hours and 1 x 7 hour

P1066

Thanks and final question, do staff get free or discounted parking at other stations other than their base station? Ie would I be able to park at Bedford for free or a discounted rate and then train it down to Luton?

joshuan542

Oh absolutely, so as RCO’s you get two stations to choose, your home station Bedford would be one then you get to choose work station as LAP.

you sometimes depending on manager and reason can add a third if needed, the manager for LAP is brilliant though and is one of the best on the line

Chanelle25

Hi,

Does anyone know if when applying for a job do the recruiters take into account where you live? And the nearer you are to your local station would that help you get to the next stage of the application process?
Anyone got any pros and cons of an Revenue Control Officer/Gate Line?

joshuan542

Hi,

Does anyone know if when applying for a job do the recruiters take into account where you live? And the nearer you are to your local station would that help you get to the next stage of the application process?
Anyone got any pros and cons of an Revenue Control Officer/Gate Line?
With regards to location, being closer to a station doesn’t come into account for them if you are within the 45 minute time.

pros:
- Salary is pretty good compared to external careers
- Once you’re in the railway it is easier to move jobs and is fairly flexible
- Benefits are great, such as full free travel across 5 TOC’s being thameslink, great northern, southern, Gatwick express and southeastern +high speed
- meet a lot of new people
- rosters are fairly good depending on station
- usually a lot of overtime if you want it

cons:
- can be rather slow and boring depending on station
- you are the frontline and take all of the heat from customers
- pay can be a lot better of course, compared to other roles similar to the RCO in TL some pay much better, but are considered higher.

Chanelle25

With regards to location, being closer to a station doesn’t come into account for them if you are within the 45 minute time.

pros:
- Salary is pretty good compared to external careers
- Once you’re in the railway it is easier to move jobs and is fairly flexible
- Benefits are great, such as full free travel across 5 TOC’s being thameslink, great northern, southern, Gatwick express and southeastern +high speed
- meet a lot of new people
- rosters are fairly good depending on station
- usually a lot of overtime if you want it

cons:
- can be rather slow and boring depending on station
- you are the frontline and take all of the heat from customers
- pay can be a lot better of course, compared to other roles similar to the RCO in TL some pay much better, but are considered higher.
Hiya,
Thank you for the information!!! The reason for me asking about the distance was because I could walk to the station in question so that's not a problem at all, but if my application is not up to scratch will they look at my home commute and maybe make an exception hahaha!! If not successful and another role becomes available could I re-apply or do you have to wait s certain amount of time? What are the shifts normally like? Then I suppose it'll depend on what station you would be at I'd imagine? Thanks again of the info.

joshuan542

Hiya,
Thank you for the information!!! The reason for me asking about the distance was because I could walk to the station in question so that's not a problem at all, but if my application is not up to scratch will they look at my home commute and maybe make an exception hahaha!! If not successful and another role becomes available could I re-apply or do you have to wait s certain amount of time? What are the shifts normally like? Then I suppose it'll depend on what station you would be at I'd imagine? Thanks again of the info.
How far do you live (driving) from your station, which station also is it as it depends on vacancy availability also.

I wouldn’t worry too much about distance as long as you are within 45 driving you’ll be in with the chance, the assessments are also pretty easy and the interview is a sort of relaxed competency one bit just let me know and I can give you as much info as I can at each stage.

Chanelle25

How far do you live (driving) from your station, which station also is it as it depends on vacancy availability also.

I wouldn’t worry too much about distance as long as you are within 45 driving you’ll be in with the chance, the assessments are also pretty easy and the interview is a sort of relaxed competency one bit just let me know and I can give you as much info as I can at each stage.
Hi,
I could walk it within 25 mins if that, so driving would be a doddle!! I'll see how I get on first before I start with the loads of questions hahaha! Thanks again .

joshuan542

Hi,
I could walk it within 25 mins if that, so driving would be a doddle!! I'll see how I get on first before I start with the loads of questions hahaha! Thanks again .
No worries just make sure your cv and application are heavily customer service based as that’s what they look for.

also brush up on Govia Thameslink Railway knowledge, for example routes, trains (class 700 is all we have) etc.. and you’ll be fine

joshuan542

Hi,
No worries just make sure your cv and application are heavily customer service based as that’s what they look for.

also brush up on Govia Thameslink Railway knowledge, for example routes, trains (class 700 is all we have) etc.. and you’ll be fine

Chanelle25

Hiya,

Thanks for the heads up!! Daft question, I am concerned that I might not have covered enough detail with regards to Customer Service side of things.....I do wonder if there is an option to cancel my application in order to resubmit it with more bits added to it.....probably best I don't risk it at hahaha

Last edited:

Chanelle25

Hey peeps,
Any idea what the shift patterns are like on GN route? Or does it differ from station to station?

Chanelle25

Hi all,

Just a quick question, does anyone know what the next stage is if successful after the online test? Also with the current situ with the Corona Virus if classroom assessments are required assuming that will be set at a date months or so down the line? Just like the interview?

Can anyone also confirm if the shifts are 12 hour shifts or could they differ?

Thank you peeps and sorry for all the questions

joshuan542

Hi all,

Just a quick question, does anyone know what the next stage is if successful after the online test? Also with the current situ with the Corona Virus if classroom assessments are required assuming that will be set at a date months or so down the line? Just like the interview?

Can anyone also confirm if the shifts are 12 hour shifts or could they differ?

Thank you peeps and sorry for all the questions

It depends, are you applying for Thameslink or Great Northern?

After online test, you'll be invited to Go ahead house in East Croydon to complete the assessment day, It consists of some basic tests like awareness, report writing if i remember correctly, all quite straightforward and there is a role play also.

Coronavirus is affecting recruitment, Im waiting on a new role in southern from Thameslink to become a conductor and my interview is being postponed.

Status
Not open for further replies.