• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue Protection Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Martin's diminutive frame – energised, perhaps, by the two fare dodgers she has just fined – is electrified.

Wow, she has the power to fine fare dodgers?

Makes me fearful about the accuracy of the rest of the copy...!

the company public relations official, who explains that there are no formal targets or incentives

Hmm.. Is that a carefully worded response that means there are informal targets?

Listen to revenue officers talking to each other at a station (like Finsbury Park) and hear how they compare notes and high five each other for doing a load of PFs on any given train they've just worked. There's definitely SOME incentive in operation, although I have no idea what it is.

Ferret

Established Member
Wow, she has the power to fine fare dodgers?

The Guardian in Crap Journalism Shock! In other news, the Pope happens to be a Catholic and would you believe it - bears like to do their 'business' in the woods. Memo to Guardian-reading left-wingers who think 'their paper' is better than all the rest: it isn't - it's full of the same inaccuracies that plague the rest of the newspapers out there be they owned by an odious Australian or otherwise. Now lose the superiority complex and do us all a favour by shutting up. Thank you.

End of rant!

Flamingo

Established Member
Commission no doubt?

Commission is not paid on UFN's or PF's as it can be represented as an incentive to issue them inappropriately.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Listen to revenue officers talking to each other at a station (like Finsbury Park) and hear how they compare notes and high five each other for doing a load of PFs on any given train they've just worked. There's definitely SOME incentive in operation, although I have no idea what it is.

Satisfaction of a job well done...

Good article, though, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The Guardian in Crap Journalism Shock! In other news, the Pope happens to be a Catholic and would you believe it - bears like to do their 'business' in the woods. Memo to Guardian-reading left-wingers who think 'their paper' is better than all the rest: it isn't - it's full of the same inaccuracies that plague the rest of the newspapers out there be they owned by an odious Australian or otherwise. Now lose the superiority complex and do us all a favour by shutting up. Thank you.

End of rant!

It's just an article in a newspaper about someone's job! They have one every week! I wasn't commenting on Guardian superiority or anything, or indeed the quality of the article, just that it was interesting....sorry if it has offended you!

Ferret

Established Member
It's just an article in a newspaper about someone's job! They have one every week! I wasn't commenting on Guardian superiority or anything, or indeed the quality of the article, just that it was interesting....sorry if it has offended you!

Oh, I wasn't offended or having a rant at you. My moan was aimed at those on here and elsewhere (you know who you are) who seem to think that the Guardian is wonderful and is the only paper you can believe!

table38

Established Member
IIRC the Guardian has had to make 38 written corrections so far about stories it made up published in it's vendetta against News International

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh, I wasn't offended or having a rant at you. My moan was aimed at those on here and elsewhere (you know who you are) who seem to think that the Guardian is wonderful and is the only paper you can believe!

I think I'm actually beginning to hate the Guardian more than the Daily Mail now.

Whereas the Daily Mail website has comments from your typical DM reader, to people who try and show a bit more balance (the DM doesn't care - any traffic is good for online advertising), the Guardian seems to have only one type of reader - those who agree with everything it says and then finds a way to call the coalition a bunch of c**ts and similar. In fact, the hatred is quite scary. Either that or the paper is censoring comments from people who don't just suck up to the paper.

What's more, the paper happily takes on interns and then has a go at any other company that does the same, or takes on work experience people.

table38

Established Member
The trouble with the comments section of any newspaper or blog is that activists (of either persuasion) are often summoned en masse to leave comments. Even "template" letters sent to local newspapers appear almost identical when people forget to re-write them in their own words.

For example, after all the parties released their tax records in one form or another, Ken Livingstone's Mayoral Campaign team were emailed to "urgently engage" various pro-Boris sites by Tom Copley, Ken's "Digital Campaign Coordinator".

However it looks like "Team Boris" are getting their own back after Ken wrote an article in the Guardian yesterday whining on that the tax row, which he exacerbated by his comments and challenges on LBC, is now suddenly "a distraction" :roll:

I suspect some of the comments left on http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/08/tax-london-mayor-ken-livingstone will be "tidied up" when they get back into work tomorrow!

Ferret

Established Member
The trouble with the comments section of any newspaper or blog is that activists (of either persuasion) are often summoned en masse to leave comments. Even "template" letters sent to local newspapers appear almost identical when people forget to re-write them in their own words.

For example, after all the parties released their tax records in one form or another, Ken Livingstone's Mayoral Campaign team were emailed to "urgently engage" various pro-Boris sites by Tom Copley, Ken's "Digital Campaign Coordinator".

However it looks like "Team Boris" are getting their own back after Ken wrote an article in the Guardian yesterday whining on that the tax row, which he exacerbated by his comments and challenges on LBC, is now suddenly "a distraction" :roll:

I suspect some of the comments left on http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/08/tax-london-mayor-ken-livingstone will be "tidied up" when they get back into work tomorrow!

I'm sorry, but partisan newspapers really hack me off. I know this will never happen, but I'd much rather have the facts presented and be left to make my own mind up. The closest paper to that is the Indy, but even they lapse sometimes...

Going back to the subject at hand, on the whole it wasn't a bad read, just that it was let down by poor journalism. I am glad it was posted though.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It was actually a good read, but possibly because it was meant to do nothing more than give an example of a day in the life of a job - any job.

If it had been to do with over zealous revenue officers, you can imagine how different it would be. You can still imagine the paper slating the private railway companies off another day, and talking about 'jobsworth' revenue staff penalising those making innocent mistakes etc!

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
It was actually a good read, but possibly because it was meant to do nothing more than give an example of a day in the life of a job - any job.

If it had been to do with over zealous revenue officers, you can imagine how different it would be. You can still imagine the paper slating the private railway companies off another day, and talking about 'jobsworth' revenue staff penalising those making innocent mistakes etc!

You're correct, as I posted earlier it is a different job each week, can vary considerably and doesn't make any attempt to make any statements that might be 'political' in nature. I suppose it is a human interest story....can't recall the Guardian ever having a go at RPO's in particular, neither has it, to my knowledge been especially brutal about the privatised railway (except the Railtrack fiasco}

Ferret

Established Member
You're correct, as I posted earlier it is a different job each week, can vary considerably and doesn't make any attempt to make any statements that might be 'political' in nature. I suppose it is a human interest story....can't recall the Guardian ever having a go at RPO's in particular, neither has it, to my knowledge been especially brutal about the privatised railway (except the Railtrack fiasco}

No, leave that to the Daily Mail and the other tabloids!

jon0844

Veteran Member
The Telegraph for one, although most of its hatred is for HS2.

Clip

Established Member
When a defiant young woman, who has not swiped her season ticket, starts to rant, Martins hears her out politely then repeatedly explains her omission.

This bit kind of confused me probably cos im tired and very close to falling asleep at me desk but if the woman in question had a season ticket then she doesnt really have to touch in or out unless their are barriers. Though technically i suppose you do but as yet i have yet been told off for not doing so on stations my staff pass lets me travel from.

causton

Established Member
Indeed, the Conditions of Carriage last time I checked IIRC say you have to touch in and out, but sometimes you can't! (e.g. on a staff pass, if you use London Overground into Clapham Junction you cannot touch out as the gatelines are set to reject staff passes as it is not a proper Overground station. Of course the barrier assistant just lets them through so I don't see the point of it personally as they don't actually verify the user travelled on the Overground, but hey ho...

Clip

Established Member
Yeah its quite an odd one as all the barriers at say liverpool street will open no matter where you are going so it is a bit of a farce really and open to abuse should TfL staff members or their nominees want to abuse it.

But again the whole touch in thing when you have a season ticket on your oyster is also a farce unless the station is barriered because you still hold a valid ticket... Or does it become invalid if you dont touch in? Which is then also stupid as Oyster is just a medium to hold your season ticket instead of a paper one, so if it is part of NCoC are they putting you at a disadvantage with extra restrictions you would not get for holding a paper ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.