• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised NRCoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It has now been clarified by ATOC in a brief that necessitation of break of journey is the customer's decision alone.

Hopefully all staff will read it!
They might do, if they get it! As I stated before we have not had the first brief, let alone the clarification brief, and when I asked the manager they didn't have a clue what I was on about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Well this brief was issued about five hours ago - it should in theory filter down!

It's a clarification of some questions ATOC have been asked, apparently. I rather suspect ATOC have read this forum and issued a brief on the back of it, as it answers all of the questions (and no more) that have been asked on here!

barrykas

Established Member
Next question: How do front line staff get on the ATOC mailing list so as not to have to wait for such briefings to filter through from above?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Next question: How do front line staff get on the ATOC mailing list so as not to have to wait for such briefings to filter through from above?

They shouldn't have to if those above communicate properly! (Which is a problem at some TOCs)

I'm not on the ATOC mailing list - but I was aware within the hour.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
rather suspect ATOC have read this forum and issued a brief on the back of it, as it answers all of the questions (and no more) that have been asked on here!

You know it would things easier all round if ATOC just directly asked what we thought about the various changes they're making seeing as they seem to use our thoughts from this forum anyway! I mean seriously it would save everyone a lot of time and trouble, rather than having to issue things, have us point out all the mistakes and inconsistencies and then re-issue with clarifications!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They might do, if they get it! As I stated before we have not had the first brief, let alone the clarification brief, and when I asked the manager they didn't have a clue what I was on about.

I too have not received either brief yet, which probably means no-one among the retail staff across Northern knows about it yet.

They shouldn't have to if those above communicate properly! (Which is a problem at some TOCs)

I'm not on the ATOC mailing list - but I was aware within the hour.

I can't say I have seen any mention on the FRPP either, I didn't check today, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Flamingo

Established Member
HA Ha!
I'd call it nit-picking, though there are some folks on here who seem to suffer from literalism (which of course is very useful and appropriate until taken too far).
But its a fair point, there's people here who will flag up an inconsistency or an undefined concept more quickly than a computer will 'find' code which attempts a 'divide by zero'. (And probably more quickly than the consultees in the TOCs - I'm assuming that ATOC really does consult before it publishes its ambiguous Conditions).

But please don't be hard on Angels. My Philosophy Lecturer was very keen on Aquinas, and I am grateful for all that I learned from him.

Fair point, and well made! Of there was some way of doing it without breaching commercial confidentiality, there might be large benefits from it!

First class

Established Member
I too have not received either brief yet, which probably means no-one among the retail staff across Northern knows about it yet.

I can't say I have seen any mention on the FRPP either, I didn't check today, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Dale G definitely knows about it...

Not in FRPP yet. A document is in the queue for Monday.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
From the staff briefing document <SNIP> :

Journey MUST commence on the date on the ticket. If the journey cannot be completed on first day, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day. All travel must be completed by 0429 past midnight on the second day. Unless otherwise indicated in the relevant restriction code, the same time restrictions from the origin station apply on BOTH days.​

hmm, I'm a little confused about how the 0429 brings ticketing into line with LU - TfL's time restriction is:

Day Travelcards are available for travel at Anytime or off-peak.
• Anytime Day Travelcards can be used all day on the day of
validity and for any journey that starts before 0430 on the
following day

TEW

Established Member
Changes to Ticket Validities and Conditions from 5 October 2011

Some changes are being made to National Rail ticket validities and conditions for tickets which are used on or after Wednesday 5 October. These apply even if the ticket has been purchased before this date.
The changes in summary are:-

Anytime Single tickets are now valid for TWO days. This does NOT apply to Anytime Day Singles

A standard 'end of day' time of 0429 following the last date of validity shown on the ticket now applies for all national ticket types. This may not apply to some local PTE tickets. Note that specific restrictions or local easements may apply, and in this case local instructions should be followed as well as any restriction code applying to the actual ticket being sold

Changes to overnight validity now permit holders of Off-Peak / Super Off-Peak tickets who cannot complete their journey in one day to continue their journey the next day. The travel restrictions that apply on the first day will also apply the following day unless otherwise noted in the relevant restricion code. Note that this does NOT apply to Off-Peak / Super Off-Peak DAY tickets.

A change to Condition 11 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage to allow the standardised time of 0429 to be introduced.

In addition, and to improve clarity to customers, a number of Route Descriptors will change to include the word 'VIA', e.g. Route 'NOT VIA LONDON' is easier to understand than Route 'NOT LONDON'.

Just seen the previous quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.