• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RGD - DEE 26/08/08 - I'm Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougman

I'm trying to do nothing more complicated than travel from Reading to Dundee on the 26th of August.

Managed to book tickets DEE_RDG for the 21st through thetrainline, got the advance first for £37.50 on the day 12 weeks in advance of the journey, so no problems there.

Tried to book the return trip on Tuesday with no joy. Nationalrail.co.uk shows me that there is a direct crosscountry service and that the advance fares are available but none of the ticket selling sites it takes me to will sell me the ticket, however thetrainline doesn't even show the direct crosscountry train! I wouldn't mind going to paddington the tube to KGX but the fare's a bit steep.

I've also looked at the proposed engineering work but that doesn't explain anything either.

I'm obviously being thick somewhere along the line, anyone any ideas?

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
The NXEC website is showing a £14.50 fare on the 09.10 direct departure - and it has the advantage over thetrainline they don't charge you any 'extras' such as card fees, or ticket collection. You might need to book quickly as there aren't any other cheap fares listed on any other direct trains.

John @ home

Established Member
The NXEC website is showing a £14.50 fare on the 09.10 direct departure - and it has the advantage over thetrainline they don't charge you any 'extras' such as card fees, or ticket collection. You might need to book quickly as there aren't any other cheap fares listed on any other direct trains.

£37.50 First Class advance single is also currently available on 0910 on 26 August at NXEC site.

John

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Have you tried visiting your local manned station? It is on the machine I have for £37.50.

djw1981

Established Member
But has the bank holiday engineering work been published yet? 26th is the Tuesday after this so if TOCs are not sure where units will be, they may not have released advance tickets yet?

Dougman

Thanks all, managed to get a £37.50 advance 1st from the NXEC website. And an added bonus that I got free postage and no card handling fee, which I didn't know about until you told me either. Think I'll keep using them in future.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not sure why everyone is frothing lately over these supposed free bookings through NXEC. I've used the FGW site for booking tickets for absolutely ages and never been charged extra to have tickets posted to me, nor have I been charged to use my Maestro!

If someone can enlighten me as to where these charges are using anything but NXEC (I refuse to use The Trainline), then I might be willing to discontinue my moan.

Chris B

Tickets bought through *any* TOC website do not incur any processing / mailing fees - but tickets bought via the Trainline (and RailEasy, I think) certainly DO.

djw1981

Established Member
The NXEC using teh new booking engine designed by Atos is IMO much better for comapring dirfferent times on a day and thus the different ticket types available.

Status
Not open for further replies.