• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rhätische Bahn in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afternoon All,

The latest addition to my YouTube channel is a journey from Sagliains to Ospizio Bernina on the Rhätische Bahn. It was taken in April, 2003 when there was still plenty of snow at the higher altitudes.

Here's the link if you'd like to have a look:

Hope it's of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Thanks for posting. The Rhätische Bahn is a superb network, another visit is overdue.

Established Member
Look forward to it. Good to see Pontresina in your film, we once stayed in the Youth Hostel there but due to a miscommunication (pre email days) we arrived a day before they opened. Luckily they were preparing the place and made us most welcome, sharing their dinner with us.

The traction may have been modernised more recently, but the scenery will always be there.

Another part on my video is now on YouTube. It covers the line from Alp Grüm to Sagliains:

More to follow in due course.

TTFN,

The next installment is now on YouTube; it covers Sagliains, the Vereina Tunnel, Klosters and Davos. Hope you like it:

Evening All,

I have now added a further part of my 2003 Rhätische Bahn video to my YouTube channel and this part covers the journey on the Arosa Line from Chur to Arosa. I hope you like it.

Follow this link if you'd like to have a look:

TTFN,

Ron.

Evening All,

Another instalment of my 2003 RhB video is now on YouTube if anyone would like to have a look. Hope you like it:

TTFN,

Ron.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Nice. By the time I went to Arosa it was Allegra units rather than locos. But they still ran round at Arosa as they were carrying tail traffic - extra coaches, and in one case cement wagons.
I walked down from Arosa via Litzirüti (beer) to Langwies taking photos, including one at the crossing you show at 3:59 in the video.

Nice. By the time I went to Arosa it was Allegra units rather than locos. But they still ran round at Arosa as they were carrying tail traffic - extra coaches, and in one case cement wagons.
I walked down from Arosa via Litzirüti (beer) to Langwies taking photos, including one at the crossing you show at 3:59 in the video.

Can you open the windows on the new trains? It's difficult to take photos or videos from trains with non-opening windows!

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Looking at the RhB video about the new trains, it seems as though only three windows at one end of the 'photographers' carriage' are openable, so they might get quite crowded at busy times. It's not only trainspotters and gricers that like to take pictures and videos out of train windows - I've often seen 'ordinary' passengers take pictures of the views and mountains through open windows.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Looks like you'll have to scour the timetable for trains with these coaches (no glass at all!):

Looks like you'll have to scour the timetable for trains with these coaches (no glass at all!):

Only in the summer months though, and even then not on the whole network.

Afternoon All,

I'm still working through the video footage that I took on an April, 2003 visit to Switzerland and the most recent instalment is a ride over the Oberalppass from Disentis / Mustér to Andermatt. It's now on YouTube if anyone would like to have a look:

Hope it's of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

Afternoon All,

A further instalment of the VHS footage that I shot in April, 2003 is now on my YouTube channel. This time it's a ride from Andermatt to Disentis-Mustér on the then newly created Matterhorn-Gotthard-Bahn. However, the station and rolling stock was still branded FO as the merger with the Brigg-Visp-Zermatt-Bahn had only taken place a few months earlier.

Hope you like it:

TTFN,

Ron.

If anyone would like to have a look, the latest addition to my YouTube channel is a train ride from Davos Platz to Klosters Dorf on the Rhätische Bahn. You won't see much though, it was all shot in the dark!

Uf Wiederlüege mitenand.

Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.