• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rhaetian Railway ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

racklam

I'm planning a trip to the Lower Engadine in Southeast Switzerland at some point once travel is possible again, and was wondering if there's some sort of ticketing option for various short trips on the RHB during a week (e.g. Scuol-Lavin, Scuol-Zernez) - the idea being to get the train somewhere and hike/run back so as to explore more than a round trip from my accommodation would allow.

Does such a thing exist, or would I have to resort to buying individual tickets? I'll be getting the train down from the UK, but still don't think, for example, a Swiss Travel Pass would offer value for money.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

As you intend travelling from the UK by train, as it would cover your travel both ways (aside from a passholder fare for Eurostar) then a Global Interrail pass might be your best bet costing between £157 and £209 (depending on your age) for a 4 day pass.

Veteran Member
If you are only planning short trips then I doubt a GR-Pass would be worth it, even at CHF 165 for the 5-day variant, but if you also intend to do " touristy" train trips like the Bernina that's another matter.
The other possibility is a (book in advance) Spartageskarte which starts at CHF 29 for the whole country, but again you need to compare with ordinary fares (make sure you don't select the half-fare card prices!).

PS In case you don't know, Guarda village is well worth the visit.

Alfonso

I'm planning a trip to the Lower Engadine in Southeast Switzerland at some point once travel is possible again, and was wondering if there's some sort of ticketing option for various short trips on the RHB during a week (e.g. Scuol-Lavin, Scuol-Zernez) - the idea being to get the train somewhere and hike/run back so as to explore more than a round trip from my accommodation would allow.

Does such a thing exist, or would I have to resort to buying individual tickets? I'll be getting the train down from the UK, but still don't think, for example, a Swiss Travel Pass would offer value for money.

Thanks in advance.
You can often get tickets specifically for a walk that include rhb, post bus, cable cars etc. They're not massively cheaper than individual tickets but can offer maybe 20% discount. Depending on where you're staying you might also get free travel included. Tourist info in Switzerland is very localised so can be tricky to find all offers

Alfonso

If you are only planning short trips then I doubt a GR-Pass would be worth it, even at CHF 165 for the 5-day variant, but if you also intend to do " touristy" train trips like the Bernina that's another matter.
The other possibility is a (book in advance) Spartageskarte which starts at CHF 29 for the whole country, but again you need to compare with ordinary fares (make sure you don't select the half-fare card prices!).

Thanks in advance.
Search free mountain railways engadine for a good example

Alfonso

[Search engadine scoulobilQUOTE="racklam, post: 4566233, member: 25068"]

Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE]
Search Engadine Scoul Mobil for the lower Engadine free travel offer

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In some Cantons you get a free local ticket from your hotel for the duration of your stay, don't know if that applies there and it's sometimes bus only.

racklam

I found that there's a "Graubunden Pass" valid locally, various versions valid from 2 to 5 days.

Good to know, thanks - as mentioned by other posters, probably too expensive for just short trips unfortunately.

As you intend travelling from the UK by train, as it would cover your travel both ways (aside from a passholder fare for Eurostar) then a Global Interrail pass might be your best bet costing between £157 and £209 (depending on your age) for a 4 day pass.

That's a good point - I'll take a look at Interrail for the whole thing.

Guarda was on my list of places to stay for a few days, so good to know it's worth it.

Search Engadine Scoul Mobil for the lower Engadine free travel offer

That could be useful, thanks.

Veteran Member
Looks as if the Mobil ticket is only for hotels in Scuol :(
The marginal cost of longer period IR is quite low.
We stayed in Filisur recently and a day of IR was cheaper than the ordinary fare to Davos - as it happens the village guest card covered the trip anyway...

Alfonso

Switzerland is a strange creature when it comes to tourism, there can be different offers from municipalities, cantons, state railway, private railways, postbus, and they all act as if the others don't exist.

dutchflyer

Established Member
This Graubunden pass has summer and winter variations. Should be easy to find details on ww of rhaetische bahn.
The all-Swiss 29 CHF daypass is ONLy for holdrs of a Halfpricecard, for those without its from 52 eur-If you, just like airfares, can grab them as soon as they go on sale.
Do take a serious look at the normal sky-high fares even for just sort trips. or consider making slightly longer daytrips to get the fun of getting full value for money. If not, then just cough up.
There is also a 3 country pass for train+bus in the triangle CH/AT/IT, terra raetica or so.
It also depends on how you get to Swiss-fly or train. If flying in, there is also a tikcet giving 2 trips to/fro airport and half fare for up to 1 month. All should be prety easy to find on the sbb.ch/com site.

Gordon

Good to know, thanks - as mentioned by other posters, probably too expensive for just short trips unfortunately.

That's a good point - I'll take a look at Interrail for the whole thing.

Guarda was on my list of places to stay for a few days, so good to know it's worth it.

That could be useful, thanks.

You should know that Guarda is on a hillside high above the station serving the village - not the best place to stay. My wife and I walked Lavin - Ardez in late February 2020 (a trip which turned out to be 'just in time', and we were not far from Lombardy...). This walking route goes up onto the hills via Guarda.

See my photos. First train shot is at Lavin, last train shot (green loco) is at Ardez. Other phots are of Guarda village

Attachments

• CH feb 20 guarda - 5 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • CH feb 20 guarda - 4 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • CH feb 20 guarda - 6 (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • CH feb 20 guarda - 7 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • CH feb 20 guarda - 3 (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Veteran Member
You should know that Guarda is on a hillside high above the station serving the village - not the best place to stay. My wife and I walked Lavin - Ardez in late February 2020 (a trip which turned out to be 'just in time', and we were not far from Lombardy...). This walking route goes up onto the hills via Guarda.

See my photos. First train shot is at Lavin, last train shot (green loco) is at Ardez. Other phots are of Guarda village
You must have been there just before us - it was much snowier on 1 March.
The Post(klein)bus connects well with trains, but IIRC was CHF3 each way (the driver agreed it shoukd be cheaper downhill!)

Status
Not open for further replies.