• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RHDR Princess Coronation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltic1

A little section on the wikipedia age of the RHDR states:
In addition to the railway's own 16 locomotives, one additional engine is currently housed at New Romney. This is a partially constructed third-scale reproduction of an LMS Princess Coronation Class locomotive, commonly known as the 'Duchess' type (although of the 38 engines of this class, only 10 were named after duchesses). The replica was commissioned by Paul Riley, a director of the railway, as a private project and is currently stored in an engineers' depot.
I believe there were some photos floating about online a little while ago but the forum they were on seems to have been taken down.

Has anyone got any more information about the loco, whether its still stored at the railway or any pictures of it at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Last i heard this was a private venture where the person building it passed away during its build. So what status it is at i am not sure.

wagwan my g

"In addition to the railway's own 16 locomotives, one additional engine is currently housed at New Romney. This is a partially constructed third-scale reproduction of an LMS Princess Coronation Class locomotive, commonly known as the 'Duchess' type (although of the 38 engines of this class, only 10 were named after duchesses). The replica was commissioned by Paul Riley, a Director of the railway, as a private project, and is currently stored in an engineers' depot. Following the unexpected death of Mr Riley on 4 June 2008 the future of this locomotive is currently unknown. It is understood that construction is more than half complete"
taken from this website https://discover.hubpages.com/trave...only-miniature-railway-that-fought-in-the-war

Last edited by a moderator:

Deltic1

"In addition to the railway's own 16 locomotives, one additional engine is currently housed at New Romney. This is a partially constructed third-scale reproduction of an LMS Princess Coronation Class locomotive, commonly known as the 'Duchess' type (although of the 38 engines of this class, only 10 were named after duchesses). The replica was commissioned by Paul Riley, a Director of the railway, as a private project, and is currently stored in an engineers' depot. Following the unexpected death of Mr Riley on 4 June 2008 the future of this locomotive is currently unknown. It is understood that construction is more than half complete"
taken from this website https://discover.hubpages.com/trave...only-miniature-railway-that-fought-in-the-war
I hadn't seen that, unfortunately though the whole page seems to be a copy and paste from wikipedia.

jumble

I hadn't seen that, unfortunately though the whole page seems to be a copy and paste from wikipedia.
That article is rubbish
Pictures are from elsewhere
There are no topless coaches as ones head would be knocked off by the tunnels and certainly no mountains so probably is Ravenglass
Pilot halt has not been a stop for at least 30 years
The Bug is not the Bug and is pictured somewhere else ( no idea where)

What is remarkable is that Davey Paxman built 7 of their locomotives ( and only one other 15 inch for the Ratty ) and no one is sure if they built any other steam locos
All 8 survive which must be a record

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are no topless coaches as ones head would be knocked off by the tunnels and certainly no mountains so probably is Ravenglass
Yep, that image was taken at Dalegarth on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. And as you say, no idea where the picture purporting to be of The Bug was taken.

It's interesting to note that the RHDR did in fact operate open topped coaches from 1946 in an urgent response to post-war passenger demand, the final examples of which were withdrawn in 1979 having subsequently been fitted with lightweight frames and first chicken wire and then hardboard roofs, to deter anyone from standing up in transit.

Gartcosh

I would suggest the picture purporting to be the Bug is actually of 0-6-2 No.3 "Dougal" on the Evesham Vale Light Railway.

paul1609

Established Member
A little section on the wiki page of the RHDR mentions that a partially constructed Princess Coronation is in store at the railway. I believe there were some photos floating about online a little while ago but the forum they were on seems to have been taken down.

Has anyone got any more information about the loco, whether its still stored at the railway or any pictures of it at all?
Im not associated with the RH&DR but I have it on good authority that the partially completed loco is still in store at New Romney.

Status
Not open for further replies.