• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RHDR - two trains in single track section at same time, going in opposite directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

341o2

Established Member
The trains stopped around 300m yards apart. I'm not excusing any lax operating procedures, but hardly any dramatic news headlines of "train crash only just averted"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The trains stopped around 300m or over 1,000 yards in real measurements apart. I'm not excusing any lax operating procedures, but hardly any dramatic news headlines of "train crash only just averted"

300 metres is a bit over 328 yards.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s quite a straight line without too many corners and with good long distance visibility.
I’d assume (perhaps wrongly) that this was a factor that prevented a head on crash (bearing in mind that these trains travel at 25mph like many other heritage railways)?

MarkyT

Established Member
It’s quite a straight line without too many corners and with good long distance visibility.
I’d assume (perhaps wrongly) that this was a factor that prevented a head on crash (bearing in mind that these trains travel at 25mph like many other heritage railways)?
The outbound train had only just departed the station, stopping about 100m past the loop turnout, so presumably hadn't gathered very much speed, and the incoming train must also have been preparing to slow down and stop. 25mph seems much faster when you're so much closer to the ground in a small vehicle!

Tomnick

Established Member
The trains stopped around 300m or over 1,000 yards in real measurements apart. I'm not excusing any lax operating procedures, but hardly any dramatic news headlines of "train crash only just averted"
The stage was set for something much worse though, possibly only averted by the good fortune that one train was only just getting away from a stand and that the line was straight there. If the oncoming train had been a couple of minutes later, things could’ve been very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.