• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RHY 37 &Pembroke Dock HST meet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
No Sprinter to write it up this year, so I will do it!
Friday 4th August

Got up at 0800, got ready etc & got the 0943 BTM train to Bath, after using my commen sense & realising a h-o shot of 37417 on 6c01 was posiable, I got a HST from Bath, so I got that, (good shot as well) On arrival at Bristol I went over to platform 1 to get the 1050 to Cardiff, 158963...

Got in to Cardiff at 1135 & got my Valleys Day Ranger, 158843 comes in vice PACER on the 1201 Bargoed service, so bashed that all the way, a FNW 153 was on the Bay shuttle, after getting to Bargoed, me & the driver had a talk then I went back on it to Cardiff Queen Street, where I did a 153 bash to Bay, then on arrival at Queen ST foted the 158 before taking a Pacer back to Central,then HST to Newport

On arrival at Newport, 37417 was pulling in on 6c02 & I got some cracking shots of it, before joining the Yorkie & co. - Palmer on there HST going to Cardiff. Max, Yorkie & everyone else went to check in to there Hotels, Yorkie came back to meet me in Central, while everyone else joined 425 at Queen ST for the run to RHY, where we got a Stagecoach Volvo to Merthyr (having got to the bus stop at RHY early thanks to my directions :p ) We then walked to Merthyr Tydfill Station & got my FIRST pacer of the day back to Pontypidd where Palmer met us, then of to Aberdare, we then went back to Queen ST & bashed Pizza hut before going to Cardiff Bay & doing Nick W's wanted flyover Bash.

We all retired to our Hotels, before waking up in the morning:blob2:
Saturdays in Part 2
[EDIT]
I was up & out by 9, me & Max bashing Sainsburys before a Pacer bash to meet dad at CDF, the rest of the the attendees who hoteled had only just woke up... We saw them off at Cardiff, while me & dad waited for Mark & co. to arrive, 43165 & 43004. We all said our hellos & got seats, unlike last year, pretty unevetfull to Swansea where we had a Air leak but it got fixed in 10 mins!

After Whitlend I started to help the train manager, I put the reservations out, kept an eye on doors & helped him clean up a bit, while the rest were enjoying themselves, very rewardiing work with free complimentys for the journey back towards england, after a bit of trouble, me & Mark moved away & tucked in to some pringles, much to Jordys happieness when he joined us, after much rambling about how there HST home was canxed. Mark & I decieded to get of the HSt at Cardiff & pick up some grub, Pizza Hut calls to my ears, nose, stomoch & mouth, so we went to bash Pizza Hut before getting the 1950 from Cardiff to Cheltenham, after arrving early in Goucester, I could Easily make it home from Cheltenham on the 2112 Voyager back to BTM.

DIESASTER, it does not exist, BUt the 2052 was late, thank god, I passed the mobs ;) Voyager on the Gloucester Triangle, then took a 150 back from BTM to TRO

So, what did you get up to at Bristol Parkway for over an hour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Well here's my bit after we left at Cheltenham.

We left On Time after arriving nice and early and hit greens all the way until about Longbridge where we slowed down quite a bit. Almost stopping at Five Ways. We arrived 1 min early from the expected arrival time. So i had to make a dash to make the last bus what i wouldn't of made otherwise. Just got the bus and managed to get home for 22:45 ready for a good sleep.

I must say an hr and 20 mins in Cardiff was good and we didn't even get lost.

Jim

Established Member
Ascot said:
So i had to make a dash to make the last bus what i wouldn't of made otherwise.
After much arguing with your Parents about it ;)

I must say an hr and 20 mins in Cardiff was good and we didn't even get lost.
Errrrmmmmm, I knew where Pizza Hut was :p

metrocammel

It was a pretty good meet overall, marred by a certain persons attraction to Orangina and free Scot Rail Moisturiser, but thankfully he only arrived half way thru' the meet, and left quite soon too..

Bristol Parkway was lovely ;), but to stop us all getting too exited looking at the static mail vans, we too a nice ride on a Voyager to Temple Meads, where we got an overcrowded Voyager to Birmingham (as the damn Holidaymaker HST to Man Vic(!) had been caped). We then got on our next Voyager to Picc, where, thanks to "Morgan's" begging skills ;) we had a free FC upgrade to Manchester (however it was effectivly declassified anyway, with a high volume of STD class footie fans).

We finally arrived, most unusually at Manchester Victoria (going via Denton & Ashton Moss) ontime, at 00:10. We then got a tram (not a HST!) to Market Street, when I refuelled with some chips and then got my "NightBus", along with Max 'n' Jordy home, Morgan & Yorkie having a long wait for the next TPE service to Leeds and York respectivley.

Overall, a good meet, however it was a real shame about the HST failing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well I got in at 03:45, over 2.5 hours later than planned :(

The trip was excellent until Saundersfoot, but was downhill from there for the reasons already stated.

I want to go again, if there's enough interest maybe we can organise something.

The most crazy part of the trip was the taxi from Fishguard to Pembroke Dock. The taxi departed about 25 down, and we only just made the train by approx 30 seconds :o If we'd missed it, we could have got it elsewhere (by chasing it), but we really wanted to cover the whole line... ;)

Nick W

Established Member
yorkie said:
Well I got in at 03:45, over 2.5 hours later than planned :(

The trip was excellent until Saundersfoot, but was downhill from there for the reasons already stated.

I want to go again, if there's enough interest maybe we can organise something.

The most crazy part of the trip was the taxi from Fishguard to Pembroke Dock. The taxi departed about 25 down, and we only just made the train by approx 30 seconds :o If we'd missed it, we could have got it elsewhere (by chasing it), but we really wanted to cover the whole line... ;)

Unlike modern downloadable trains, road vehicles have an amazing way to make up for lost time, by going faster :)

Still 30 seconds is a tough connection.

metrocammel

Nick W said:
Unlike modern downloadable trains, road vehicles have an amazing way to make up for lost time, by going faster :)

Still 30 seconds is a tough connection.

May I ask what a modern "downloadable" train is please?

16CSVT2700

Established Member
metrocammel said:
May I ask what a modern "downloadable" train is please?

He's on about OTMR. Which is a black box type thing fitted to all locos/units etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.