• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rhyl - Birmingham New St - London Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
I need to travel from Rhyl to Birmingham, break my journey there for a couple of days, then on to London Euston, staying there for a few more days, then returning directly to Rhyl.

I would prefer the flexibility of off-peak tickets, and am aware that an off-peak return from Rhyl - Euston is valid via Birmingham, but am also aware I cannot break my outward journey at Birmingham for a couple of days.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper way to make this trip, and be able to return directly to Rhyl, without the use of anytime singles, which make it very expensive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
You could combine a £59.70 Rhyl-London Marylebone super-offpeak return valid on Arriva Trains Wales & Chiltern Railways only (to search for this, try putting High Wycombe as a "via" point), with either a single Birmingham-Euston Advance valid on London Midland only (available from £6 even for the day after tomorrow) or a £16 super-offpeak single on London Midland from Birmingham to Euston.

roversfan2001

Established Member
If you can use ATW and Chiltern only (no real journey time penalty on the outward journey, probably a not insignificant one on the return) then not only is the ticket cheaper, there are no BoJ restrictions on either leg.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
On Outward Portions of Off Peak/Super Off Peak fares you cannot break your journey overnight as the ticket is only valid for date of travel except in exceptional circumstances where you must compete the journey on Day 2. The OP would need the Anytime Return @ £147.00 to do what roversfan2001 suggests as he plans a couple of days in Birmingham.

Romilly's advice is sound I would also look at doing a Chiltern AP from Birmingham to Maylebone if the route is acceptable on return.

DelW

Established Member
A flexible and fairly cheap option is splitting at Birmingham with an off-peak return on London Midland only between there and Euston. It does mean a slower journey home though.

Status
Not open for further replies.