• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ribblehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnyus

Hi all,

In the next few weeks I will be heading to Carlisle, and I have found that I have a day or two free, so I was thinking of heading for a spin on the Carlisle & Settle Line.

I have the passenger timetable, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about any freight or spl workings that would be running on a Wednesday (25 April).

I am hoping to get out at Ribblehead (to view the viaduct) and Dent.

Is there also some sort of 'rover' ticket available? If I buy an 'anytime return' from Carlisle to Ribblehead will I be able to break the journey on the way back to stop off at Dent?

Kind regards,
F.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
I would recommend a Settle & Carlisle day ranger: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr4fbc88c35ce741005334c6695fdf61/details.html

It allows you to 'hop on, hop off' as much as you like. I'm not sure about specials but certainly around lunchtime there are a few Southbound freights. I believe the first is a FLHH coal, followed by 6K05 engineers to Crewe (DBS) and then the Chirk bound logs (Colas).

I'd also pop into the Station Inn if you have time, at the bottom of Ribblehead station. Good selection of ale & pork pies to be had!

IanD

Established Member
An anytime day return is cheaper and I believe you can break your journey in both directions.

As far as I can see, the only advantage of the ranger is that it lets you travel up and down the line as many times as you want (4 complete returns max I think in the current timetable assuming no breaks) whereas the other ticket only allows 1 return journey.

I'd go for the return and spend the difference on a pie and a pint at the Station in Ribblehead.

D1009

Established Member
Hi all,

I have the passenger timetable, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about any freight or spl workings that would be running on a Wednesday (25 April).

I am hoping to get out at Ribblehead (to view the viaduct) and Dent.

Pity you're not going the next day, Thurs 26th sees the Great Briton 5 steam special running from Glasgow to Preston via the S&C with 46233 Duchess of Sutherland.

There are paths for lots of freight trains in the WTT but many of them don't run every day.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
If you get chance get off at Dent and walk down the hill to Cowgill and have a pint at the Sportsmans. A lovely Dales pub and you should be able to try something from the Dent brewery in there too.

Also, the walk friom Ribblehead to Dent is very rewarding and there is lots of historical railway interest too.

trainfanatic

Using the Northern Rail 'Great Escape' £10 offer, I managed to do this trip from Leeds/Carlisle/Leeds yesterday (Thursday).

It is everything everybody has said about it...stunning scenery, a glimpse of the past regarding the signalling/station design etc.

I was on the 10h26 service ex Skipton arriving Carlisle 12h17 and at least 2 Freightliner coal trains passed heading south. On arrival at Carlisle, I witnessed the NR train (carrying track sections?) and then shortly after, the Colas operated Chirk log train.

A very tiring day but very rewarding.

Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.