• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riby Street platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was in Cleethorpes last Saturday and whilst I was waiting on the station for my return train home, I was talking to an elderly lady who said that there was once a railway station with this name that was situated in-between Grimsby Town station and Grimsby Docks station, but she knew little else about it.

Does anyone know why this railway station was contructed and was it built to serve any particular area or industry?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
Looking at the current layout of Grimsby, there is a Riby Street which runs alongside the railway between Grimsby Docks and New Clee rather than between Town and Docks stations. I wonder, if it was situated here, could it have been used by dockers or other port workers due to its proximity to the waterfront there.

Only a thought though, not sure if any of this is viable.

caliwag

Cannot find anything on my old OS maps. According to Wiki it closed in 1941. Perhaps the most convenient for fish dock workers!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Odd. The Wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby_Docks_railway_station
mentions it but has no details.

There's a newspaper article at:
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/B...-s-heartbeat/story-12790635-detail/story.html
which says
There once was a small railway station in Riby Street, consisting of two narrow wooden platforms connected by a footbridge. It was known as "Skateknob Junction" by locals who used it every day travelling to work on the nearby Pontoon
A skate knob being a bit of a fish (no, not that bit).

But it's not on the RCH diagram at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Frodingham_&_Grimsby_RJD_142.jpg

and it's not in the big Cobb atlas of "all the railways that ever existed" either, which has Grimsby Docks and New Clee as the only stations ever between Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

Is it possible that it was a local name for New Clee, only just down from the Riby Street area?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thanks to all who have answered. It is indeed something of a conundrum, especially with regard to the viewing of old maps who usually come up with a definite answer to queries such as this one that I raised.

To give her her due, the elderly lady (much older than my mere 68 years of age) seemed to have a very good memory from other matters about the area that she was able to recall.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Found it!
old-maps.co.uk, in the 1908 1:2500 map, screenshot here:
attachment.php

coordinates approx. 527858 / 410598

Attachments

• Riby Street.jpg
    Riby Street.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 48

Wyvern

Established Member
Have we mentioned Grimsby Pier opened 1853 closed to passengers 1879 and finally some 35 years later.

Butt also lists Riby Street Platform opened 1904 by the Great Central closed 1941

Status
Not open for further replies.