• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks! And no, i'd not have bothered with a Railcard if that was the case ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well i've cashed in my EC Rewards and got myself a standard single from Aberdeen to Newcastle on April 18th. Bought a First Class Advance at £30.40 for the journey up, which isn't bad for the journey length!

So it's gonna be a lot of HST with this...

1S03 0842 Newcastle-Aberdeen 1303
1E25 1452 Aberdeen-Newcastle 1901

Lot of the same HST ;)

You might be able to grab 2 lots of food from the trolley as normally the staff change at Edinburgh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well that was a fun little trip to Brum! Cleared Stourbridge, Wolves, Solihull and International :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to hear you enjoyed your little adventure to my area! Rather looking forward to the trip report of course too :D

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed it was fun! Only bashing from 1039 to 1449 but got about 85 miles out of my £6.40 :) Never posted this before but here's my coverage map, not bad for 16 :p

Not managed to resize it so apologies for the massive size.

AIwLDc9.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wolverhampton to Walsall is certainly one bit of rarely used track on that map!

What happened with your coverage of the Whitby line?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Wolverhampton to Walsall is certainly one bit of rarely used track on that map!

What happened with your coverage of the Whitby line?

Errrr...I made it to Glaisdale of all places before they decided that there had been a gas leak at Ruswarp.

Never had any motivation to go back :p

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Ah fair enough. It's a nice run on a 156, probably less fun on a 142 :lol:

I had 156484 out and a taxi back :lol:

Basically, the bus replacement was amazingly bad and it missed the connection with the train and had to continue to Middlesbrough.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah fair enough. It's a nice run on a 156, probably less fun on a 142 :lol:

I had both when going to Whitby :lol:

I think the map also has the section of track from Lichfield Trent Valley towards Burton, used only be a handful of XC services a day

Wolverhampton to Walsall is rare, and very boring

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Birmingham- 07/03/15

Well, its time for another trip report. This time it was off to Birmingham for a very short bash indeed. The short time was down to the fact that this was meant to be a Supertram bash but I decided that a change of scenery would be nice, and that it would be good to get my foot in the door for the West Midlands as it’s basically uncharted territory for myself. The short time was also due to the poor connection off the 1603 ex Birmingham into Sheffield for Doncaster, where the only option is the all stations stopper via Rotherham which gets in at 1810. My train home also happened to be at 1810 :lol:. As a result, the final possible connection was the 1530 straight through to Donny, getting in at 1716 which gives a stonking great +54 there. But hey ho, it would be a chance to get some dinner and have a wander around so I stuck with it.

The day was off to a dodgy start as my alarm failed to wake me up at 0535! It wasn’t until 0600 that I actually woke up, and my bus was at 0629. Whelp. It was a very hasty start as I crammed in my breakfast and got ready for running out of the door at 0625 before legging it down the street for my usual vehicle of Optare Versa vintage (this time it was 5378) to take me to Grainger Street in Newcastle for 0650. 45 minutes until my train, so I took it slow and decided to have a laugh and see if Newcastle would issue a Network Daytripper to avoid taking up bashing time when I got there. Initially, it looked like this wouldn’t be possible but the clerk had a dig through and found the ticket! This was then bizarrely issued on blue stock (she really didn’t know what to put it in and initially picked up a 2T Railcard :lol:) but I duly handed over my £6.40 and headed for Platform 4 where 220020 was waiting on the 0735 to Leamington Spa. This was set to be a rocky journey from the start as the 0645 Exeter was starting short at Derby, meaning that we were very busy on departure. This was also coupled with confusion surrounding reservations (as usual) where the system had completely failed and was simply telling people to sit in their reserved seats. All credit to the guard however who quickly came out with a reel of paper reservations and put them in the backs of the seats with this being all done by Durham. The train then continued to then become very full, and by York we were near bursting point. I also had to switch seats at Doncaster (changing from AP ticket to Off Peak Day R) so I feared having to stand Donny-Birmingham as it was so full. However, plenty of folk piled off at Doncaster and I headed down to Coach F where I of course found someone sitting in my reserved seat. ‘Well, I’m reserved in the aisle, are you fine sitting there instead’ ‘Erm no, not really.’ And that was that. The woman begrudgingly moved herself into the aisle and I plonked myself at the window as the train then filled up again after Sheffield. It was then again standing room only after Derby. I had also been keeping an eye on the time as I had my sights set on the 1039 to Wolverhampton, which was perfectly feasible with a 1027 arrival, but this was of course not to be as we were recorded as being 11 late through Tamworth. However, we were going full pelt from then onwards, and I started to gain some hope as we approached New Street at 1033. This wasn’t going to be easy considering that all I knew was that I had to get from 10A to 3B, but at 1034 I was on the platform and absolutely legging it onto the bridge and across the station.

I made it to 323208, working the 1039 all stations to Wolverhampton with about 3 minutes to spare. 2 minutes platform to platform, I was pretty proud of that! I took this service to Smethwick Galton Bridge from where I wanted to get Stourbridge Town crossed off. It was a pretty quiet journey with only one stop, and I was deposited at Smethwick GB at 1046. From here, it was a light jog up onto the high level platforms to await the 1052 to Worcester. It was starting to get out pretty pleasant as I slung my coat over my arm just as 172220 and 172215 pulled in. Nice! Two 172s scratched in one go! This was a pretty lightly loaded train once again, and I was finding the LM 172s to be pretty pleasant units as we wound our way around suburbia, past a couple of stabled Chilterns 68s, and onto the platform at Stourbridge Junction, arriving in at 1107. Now for something I’d wanted to do in ages, a 139! It was over onto the Town platform, where 139001 pulled in on the 1115 to the Town, and it was pretty well loaded! It was a pretty quirky little experience, and the ride quality was somewhat lively as we bounced our way through the 62 chains up the branch. It was a quick photo and back on board for the 1120 to the Junction, getting me back for 1123. It was now back to the 172s as I crossed platforms onto 172336 which was working the 1127 to Stratford Upon Avon. This gradually filled up as we got closer to Birmingham, but I was intent on bailing at The Hawthorns for a quick leap on the Trams. And I did just that, crossing over onto the Tram platforms and catching a Snow Hill service. I didn’t know how far I wanted to go, and I knew I still had a few things that I wanted to do on the mainline, so I just went to Handsworth Booth Street and back. It was a new 22 for the journey out, and an older 05 for the journey back. One thing I did notice was that the acceleration on the new trams seemed to be pretty quick, giving a pretty sprightly journey. As for the old ones, I just find the interior layout bizarre with the steps up onto the front section of seats. I was glad to catch one though as I’m not sure that the old trams have very long left!

It was back to The Hawthorns and onto 172342 which was working the 1207 to Dorridge. I decided to do the journey as far as Solihull before turning back and spending a couple of hours on the New Street lines. The journey through Birmingham was pretty pleasant, before heading through the Snow Hill tunnels and into Moor Street which is a very pretty station indeed. It was then on past Tylesley and into Solihull. The sun was now out in full and it was getting very warm indeed as I checked the time of my train back to Moor Street, which was to be the 1237 to Stourbridge Junction formed of 172332 which had me at Moor Street for 1247. I then questioned the idea of going back out on the 1255 Chiltern on 168219 but I opted not to bother as Chiltern will be getting a good bash in April, and there was plenty of new track to focus on. And with that, I left the station and attempted to locate New Street with minimal success at first. I ended up taking a circuitous route around the entrance to the Bullring and through a few dodgy looking side streets before ending up at New Street just in time for me to miss the 1301 to Liverpool, so I looked up the next Wolverhampton train. The 1305 to Shrewsbury? That’ll do! It was formed of 170502 and 170509 and was surprisingly well loaded as we proceeded to depart, calling only at Sandwell and Dudley en route. 350242 was then in my sights which was working the 1331 back to Birmingham, so it was a sprint over to Platform 4. Success! My first 350/2 had been bagged and so I was plonked back at New Street for 1349. I could see a Voyager headed for Euston across the platform, but I couldn’t see whether it had 1350 or 1358 as its departure time. Alas, it was 1350 and it was missed, so I went for the 1354 to London Euston formed of 350232 which called at Marston Green before Birmingham International where I intended to bail and head back. It was another busy train and a good view of the Airport was had before I jumped onto 158833 and 158839 which were working the 1409 to Aberystwyth/Pwhelli getting me back in with time for one last leap out of New Street to somewhere.

I fancied a couple more 323s so 323216 was taken out on the 1426 to Lichfield City/TV (I can’t remember) as far as Aston where I thought I had 2 minutes to cross platforms. However, Aston is a pain to change platforms (I think I confused it with Duddeston!) and I was left with a 10 minute fester instead before jumping on 323215 on the 1442 to Longbridge back as far as New Street. I technically could have gone to University but I fancied the idea of getting the 1503 Dundee back to Sheffield which was a double set, with more of getting a decent seat back. This was the case as 220032 and 221121 rolled in. 220032 had few reservations in and was practically empty in Coach J where I took my seat for the pleasant, sunny journey back through to Sheffield. We lost a few minutes approaching Sheffield, arriving back at 1622. I was now left with a choice. Hang around and get something later back to Donny, or leap on the first train and leave myself more time to get something to eat. I chose the latter option and I hopped on 158792 working the 1641 to Bridlington. This was a nice fast run, so fast that we seemed to be about 10 early on the approach to Doncaster as we sat around for ages before arriving in at 1710, still 2 minutes ahead.

It was off to the Frenchgate centre where I bought myself a salad and a fizzy water for £2.50 for the journey back and proceeded to have a wander around before nipping to the loo, as you do! But this particular cubicle had £15 chucked on the floor. I didn’t really know what to do with it, so once I was *finished* I headed for the customer service desk with cash in hand. It was unstaffed. It felt morally wrong to wander off with someone else’s cash but I was kind of running out of options with there being no staff in sight. I did however find a security guard who basically told me that it was better me keeping it as the chances of having someone come for it were slim and that it’d end up in the centre funds. He said that he admired my honesty and wished me a good day as I proceeded to then walk out of the centre with more money than I’d came in with which must be unusual :P

It was a short walk back to the station and a fester for the 1810 to Edinburgh, hauled by 91115. The service had only originated at Retford and as a result, it was very empty indeed. Few seats were actually reserved and the quiet theme continued through to Newcastle as night fell. We arrived into the toon at 1939, three minutes ahead, where I decided on a walk to the Tyne Bridge for the 1958 bus home. In this time, the traffic completely clogged up. It seemed unlikely that the bus would be here for a while so I walked into the centre for the 2015 bus from the Haymarket, but then I noticed my original intended bus approaching from behind as I was off into the distance. Bugger! I absolutely legged it to the next stop and somehow made it as we departed at 2011, 10 minutes late. Home for 2030. An exhausting day :p

Total Mileage: 506mi 19ch
Total cost for the day: £56.45

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very enjoyable trip to the Midlands there by the looks of things, a better journey back north than the way south at least! :lol:

Did you enjoy the rather unusual experience of a PPM with 139001?

There's plenty down here to enjoy, hopefully you'll get to spend a bit more time in the region next time :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
A very enjoyable trip to the Midlands there by the looks of things, a better journey back north than the way south at least! :lol:

Did you enjoy the rather unusual experience of a PPM with 139001?

There's plenty down here to enjoy, hopefully you'll get to spend a bit more time in the region next time :)

It was very bouncy :lol: very unusual but glad to have done it.

In July i'd like to do a WMDR coupled with a North East Rover on the Saturday meaning that i'd only need Sheffield-Birmingham tickets (£18). It'd also be nice and flexible meaning that I can just get the first/last trains (arr 0928/dep 1930- although that would be a 0500-0000 day which might kill me) :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You'd be better off having a few days focused solely on the Midlands, and to properly enjoy a WMDR you need to spend the whole day on it. Especially for someone who isn't from the area so needs everything!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
You'd be better off having a few days focused solely on the Midlands, and to properly enjoy a WMDR you need to spend the whole day on it. Especially for someone who isn't from the area so needs everything!

It's just pretty awkward to get to so a few days would be difficult/costly. We shall see :)

Kite159

Veteran Member

I think my June Saturdays will be mostly spent in the West Midlands area, engineering works permitting.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
rg177:2103116 said:

It's just pretty awkward to get to so a few days would be difficult/costly. We shall see :)

If you find a reasonable rate hotel it wouldn't too bad. 3x WMDR at £24.80 each (not including railcard discount), or a 3 in 7 Heart of England Rover (which means you'd only have to book to Derby from Newcastle) which I can't remember the ching for. The latter covers an enormous area, and if you book Travelodge or budget hotels well enough in advance you could do a 2 night stay for quite reasonable money. Yes it still won't be cheap but it would be well worth the money!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Had a pleasant day out on a Cheshire Ranger yesterday. Was booked to change at York for Manchester Picc, but on deciding that i'd head to Liverpool first I had a chat with the guard to see if he'd let me go through via Manchester Vic (Newcastle-Liverpool TPE) and he just said that 'You're not supposed to, but don't worry about it' and so I started bashing 45 minutes early :D

More later on in the trip report :)

Also decided to book a little trip over the Glasgow South Western line as it's required from Dumfries-Barrhead by travelling later and using the pretty decent £2.95 Northern Advances to Carlisle. That's on April 2nd :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's a nice and cheap Advance! :shock: I take it it has a railcard discount attached?

Looking forward to the details on the Cheshire Day Ranger :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That's a nice and cheap Advance! :shock: I take it it has a railcard discount attached?

Looking forward to the details on the Cheshire Day Ranger :)

Yep, it's only available on the 0924/1022/1122/1424/1524/1925/2118 off Newcastle, and the 1025/1135/1229/1332/1528/1628/1728/1941/2128 off Carlisle and on weekdays only. £4.50 adult/£2.95 railcard/£2.25 child :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And that's my last trip before the 1 month GCSE exam bombardment booked for May 23. Plan is to basically clear Metrolink in a day (I have 0933-1851 to do it) bar Bury-Altrincham which I did back in 2011. £15 on TPE Student advances so a decent price :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's a lot to cover in that time! Not impossible mind but you need to factor in breaks as well. Don't forget the full run from East Didsbury to Rochdale via Oldham and the city centre takes 80 minutes to do, Cornbrook to the airport is roughly 50 minutes too.

I wish you luck young man...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That's a lot to cover in that time! Not impossible mind but you need to factor in breaks as well. Don't forget the full run from East Didsbury to Rochdale via Oldham and the city centre takes 80 minutes to do, Cornbrook to the airport is roughly 50 minutes too.

I wish you luck young man...
Eck, 50 minutes? I knew Rochdale was lengthy though. That would just leave Eccles and Ashton. We shall see :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Piccadilly to Ashton's approximately 27 minutes each way too. I did Ashton West to Eccles (via MediaCity UK) in 58 minutes on my trip. I reckon you could cover the whole lot in the time you've got, but it will take some doing and will be exhausting! Don't forget to organise some PNBs along the way, something I found was easier said than done! Shudehill bus station (I don't think that's the right name but that's what I called it in my trip report!) has facilities at 20p a go, cheaper than Piccadilly at 30p a go but the latter is more extensive and so more likely to be in and out in less time than Shudehill.

I know it may not be a popular topic to talk about, but on lavatory-less trains/trams bashing being genned up in advance is useful!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Eck, 50 minutes? I knew Rochdale was lengthy though. That would just leave Eccles and Ashton. We shall see :)

Depending on the ticket, you could change a train to/from Rochdale to cut down the time, same with the Airport. Timing it for Eccles & Ashton for the more limited service (Eccles is hourly).

Agree with toilet-less units, try doing a few hours on 378 or 313 bashing

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Been there done that Kite159, it gets, shall we say, difficult after a while!

Aye that's a good point, I did tram only tickets, so mainline trains weren't an option.

Established Member
Sounds a canny day out mate, good read too, quite informative to me as well. I try to avoid voyagers like the plague, however if your travelling down from Gods Country, the early start invariably means a voyager. I'm hoping by the time I go down there, the 09.42 is still booked for XC HST.
'

That's exactly what my intention, go down the day before, start the day WMDR at the very first knocking's next day, back to base for 2nd night home the following afternoon, basically trying to score whatever whenever. Very uncharttered waters for me too.
Any suggestions for a base camp folks? Brum Crewe or Stafford?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'm doing a Wayfarer so it'll be mixed with the mainline stuff :)

I have my eye on a Wigan NW-Victoria service in the evening too as I require the bit of track connecting North Western to Ince.

Clearing the network would be nice but it might drive me nuts :p I'll aim to get a good chunk done, maybe leaving Cornbrook-Airport for another day.

The only networks i've cleared completely are the DLR/TW Metro. Tramlink isn't far off though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.