• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Easier to do Beaulieu Road on a Sunday ;)

I'm only down there Monday to Thursday ;)

There's a +5 from the 0808 to the 0813 or there's a +8 in the afternoon. Hoping to clear absolutely everything from Eastleigh to Weymouth, everything Southampton to Portsmouth (with a walking move to Bitterne before the rover becomes valid) with *hopefully* everything the Romsey Rocket serves getting done too.

Also a short move today in between my lessons at college saw me snare 221134 on a handy XC Only £3.90 return to Durham, leaving just 221131 to complete the XC lot!

Last edited:

Established Member
I've done the the 21:18 Newcastle-Carlisle and the similarly timed Middlesbrough departure, for the reputation both of those trains seem to have-it was no worse than I'm used to in Greater Manchester-and far better than many of the Huddersfield-Man Vic stoppers I've ever done!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well until 221144 returns ;)

Good idea on the walk to Bitterne, or even walking to Woolston to walk over the Itchen Bridge for some good views of the river

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've done the the 21:18 Newcastle-Carlisle and the similarly timed Middlesbrough departure, for the reputation both of those trains seem to have-it was no worse than I'm used to in Greater Manchester-and far better than many of the Huddersfield-Man Vic stoppers I've ever done!

On a Saturday night? The Middlesbrough never looks too bad (alas on Weekday nights i've seen it absolutely dead) but that Carlisle is absolutely insane and i've been sworn at by fellow passengers and witnessed a couple of fights (and there's a video of a full on brawl on YouTube, on the 2118 service between Newcastle and Prudhoe) though not quite as bad as the 2131 arrival at Newcastle off Plymouth one Friday night where I ended up in the middle of a fistfight and pinned up against the door until I shuffled my way out.

Worst i've ever had though was the 2321 Manchester Vic to Leeds on a Friday night where ketamine was getting shared around the carriage!

Well until 221144 returns ;)

Good idea on the walk to Bitterne, or even walking to Woolston to walk over the Itchen Bridge for some good views of the river

Scratch that, I meant Woolston! Walk to Woolston, onwards to Sholing, then train to Hamble, walk back to Netley, then train to Bursledon and back over to Bitterne.

My Monday morning adventure consists of a walk to Montpelier at circa 0615, thence to Redland and Clifton Down, before jumping on the train to Avonmouth, walking to St Andrews Road and getting the train back to Stapleton Road...

Last edited:

Established Member
It was a Friday night on the Carlisle

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It was a Friday night on the Carlisle

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Friday nights are normally a touch quieter. It's also getting worse now with the weather starting to warm up.

Inbounds to Newcastle are generally bad on Saturday nights...i've witnessed some things I really didn't want to on the 2206 York-Newcastle in a first class vestibule :lol:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cheers Kite, I'm actually on a Freedom of Severn and Solent so would just need the return to Avonmouth.

Means that come 0900, I can head for the shacks between Bath and Warminster!

It was for some action in the morning before the FoSS becomes active, but i didn't realise how cheap it was to Avonmouth!

BTW hope that PM last night gave you an idea for those two pesky shacks on the mainline ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Cheers Kite, I'm actually on a Freedom of Severn and Solent so would just need the return to Avonmouth.

Means that come 0900, I can head for the shacks between Bath and Warminster!

I thought the Severn Beach line was included in the FOSS?

I think the line has a 2 zone flat fare system, because a return to Severn Beach is the same price

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
And it begins!

91113 was taken to York, where everything fell apart as my XC service to Brum ended up 40 late due to a Bridge strike.

Thankfully, due to me booking tickets on different services (I was meant to jump off at New Street for a 170 to Cheltenham) I'm able to stay put on this HST all the way to at least Bristol Parkway and arrive no later than I would have otherwise.

43301 up front, not sure what's on the back as I had to scramble for a seat.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

cactustwirly

Established Member
And it begins!

91113 was taken to York, where everything fell apart as my XC service to Brum ended up 40 late due to a Bridge strike.

Thankfully, due to me booking tickets on different services (I was meant to jump off at New Street for a 170 to Cheltenham) I'm able to stay put on this HST all the way to at least Bristol Parkway and arrive no later than I would have otherwise.

43301 up front, not sure what's on the back as I had to scramble for a seat.

It was with 321 on Friday

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed, reached Temple Meads 31 late (and didn't bother doing the leap on the GWR service from Parkway as it in itself was 14 late) and it was 43321

Edit- and its been an excellent little evening really! Looks like 9 new haulages under my belt and 8 new shacks. Double Dogboxes up to Bristol Parkway now, and a Voyager back. I'm vaguely considering the 2312 to Weston Milton and back but think I might be hitting the hay!

Edit again- Make that 10 winners as one of my last three 220s has tipped up on my final move of the day!

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Just got round belatedly to going through your storm dorris report. As you, me, Tech and a number of other forum members were out on the rails that day I think possibly you had the best experience, bar that tax move!
Hope you and the Mrs are well.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just got round belatedly to going through your storm dorris report. As you, me, Tech and a number of other forum members were out on the rails that day I think possibly you had the best experience, bar that tax move!
Hope you and the Mrs are well.
Cheers mate, both of us are doing well.

Aye that taxi bill is currently in the hands of London Midland!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I hope you get resolution from LM. Quietly celibrating as VT have nicely paid out for the entire Carlisle to Noradge trip, common sense prevaling as I should have got to Euston at Quarter Past 5 not 9 mins to 9 and achieved a sub 45 minute cross London transfer which is an achievement for anyone but especialy for some who cant bluddy well see where hes going!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
After saying all was fine, I lost my tickets home last night!

Thankfully not the wallet with my railcard and rover in, so I'm free to continue, and well enough in advance for me to *only* have to pay £34.50 for a revised route via Didcot, Oxford and Leamington Spa which will hopefully include a compromise 68.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Ouch, but I'm glad that I can continue and score some new track on the more expensive way home.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Having been in that situation before, i know how it feels! Thankfully you can continue the bash.
Indeed. My friend who I'd went to stay with in Eastbourne (I think my ticket wallet fell out of my wallet there) took pity and sent me money to cover the flexible tickets I'm using, meaning that I'm only £20 down thankfully!

For future reference to anybody, a Super Off Peak single is only £9.90 with a railcard from Swindon to Banbury. It's immensely useful.

It does mean a trudge on a Voyager from Leamington to York but I'm happy so long as I get home. It also slightly extends the bash as I need Leamington, Banbury and Oxford for shacks.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Not good losing tickets! Always a fear of mine having done it once, but at least you're sorted to get home ok.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed.

Bit of a limp day with bashing today as the tiredness has started to kick in and I've got from having had 12 or so 444s to only needing about 12 so there's very little about in terms of winners considering I'm staying in Desiro land tonight.

Still, 13 winners and 14 shacks looks like the likely end total.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a quick fling at the GWR HSTs in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.