• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed it is, with the next big trip planned being a night away in Strathclyde at the end of June! No doubt I'll try to slot something in before then.

Currently the week stands at 90 winners and something like 65 shacks. Suffice to say that I'm positively knackered!

Beaulieu Road on a tight +5 is in my sights tomorrow.

Tech, it's also 158884 you've needed for ages isn't it? The blighter has been evading me all day. Could have gone for it but would have ended up with a 0120 arrival back at my hotel.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
And so, 103 winners, 91 new shacks, one back cab ride with a Southern guard, an argument with the world's worst ticket office clerk, one social occasion, six lost tickets, three signal failures, five days and approximately four thousand three hundred and eighty two leaps between Southampton Central and Southampton Airport Parkway, the rover is complete.

Report will be in a couple of weeks because I'm off to Paris in the morning, but all I can say is that I never want so see another 444 for as long as I live!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You'll be back in love with the 444s again soon enough I'm sure, after suffering Paris...

Can't wait to read your trip report, and have a good holiday!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
You'll be back in love with the 444s again soon enough I'm sure, after suffering Paris...

Can't wait to read your trip report, and have a good holiday!
I don't like many of the people (though winding the street sellers up by pretending not to speak English has some amusing results sometimes) but I like Paris.

Flight AF1581 1150 Heathrow T4 to Paris CDG if anyone fancies keeping tabs on us [emoji38]

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
One stolen phone later and I have returned, bizarrely having felt much safer in Paris than I did in 2015, and even did a fair few solo moves in the evening when I went out on supply raids and left the other half to put her feet up for an hour.

In summary, I was on a near empty end of peak RER A service terminating at Torcy and had my phone by my leg as I was swapping lunch from a carrier bag into my backpack. Didn't notice a thing and when I left the train at Torcy, I noticed that I no longer had it. Quick summoning of station staff and the ticket office clerk, and I found that the service concerned ran empty to a siding outside the station and straight back into service. A quick search of the carriages concerned drew a blank and the driver reported seeing nothing.

Thankfully I was only without a phone for 36 hours, and my understanding parents purchased a replacement (LG K8- £119 versus the £269 of the Samsung A3 I had, but it's a phone that does everything my Samsung did)

Insurance company however don't care at all, insisting on a police crime reference number despite the fact that the one police officer I sourced around Torcy station could barely understand me and didn't seem to particularly care.

My own daft fault really, and it certainly leaves me incredibly cautious about putting my phone anywhere that isn't in a pocket or bag.

Silver lining was 220003 on the mandatory move home, meaning that I now need only 1 XC 220 :)

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I wouldnt worry to much if its plugged in and charging but otherwise caution does make sense I guess.

I loved Paris all those years ago and want to go back sometime. Youl both be on a mega diet now though as the food over there is just too good.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It's time to start the reports then!

Freedom of Severn and Solent- Day 1/5 (09/04/17)

This was the bash i'd been looking forward to for weeks, and the day was finally here! It was a wakeup at 0800, showered and packed, ready to head out of the door for 0920, the much later start being due to the fact that the first direct service from Newcastle to south of Darlington on a Sunday at the moment is at 0914 vice 0755, and I myself was booked on the 0952 VTEC to York, due to having a few Nectar points to use. As a side note, I managed to burn through a load of surveys for Nectar a few weeks back and managed to bank enough in three weeks for a free return fare to Glasgow :lol:

Dud 91113 was at the helm this morning but I already had concerned as the 1027 to Plymouth, my booked service as far as New Street from York, was merely 'delayed' due to a bridge strike near Dunbar. It wasn't until I was at Darlington that it shifted itself, being 31L which increased to around 40L during the course of the journey behind us. Arrival for me at York was around 1105, having passed the plethora of engineering equipment on the line around Thirsk, and I decided that the delay gave me an apt time for a supply raid from Tesco. In the end, I ended up having a pleasant stroll around York before heading for the Platform 9 at the station, in time for the now 40 minutes delayed 1141 to Plymouth. Duds 43301/43321 were working, and an unreserved pair of seats was sourced in Coach E for the journey south. I decided at this point, seeing as all of my connections onto booked trains to Bristol (split tickets had me get a 170 behind) were shot, that i'd just stay on all the way to Temple Meads and settle down for four hours of HST through the heart of the country. We made up a fair bit of time (17 minutes) between York and Cheltenham, where some daft signaller decided to shove the stopper right in front of us, meaning that we dropped another 7 minutes in the process before it was moved out of the way (and in itself delayed a fair bit!) to let us and the Voyager behind past. Arrival was at 1604, being 31 minutes behind schedule but 7 minutes ahead of my booked schedule :lol:

I made the sunny stroll to my Travelodge (Bristol Mitchell Lane), before dropping my bags, having a cuppa and returning for the 1653 to Severn Beach and an evening of bashing. As you can imagine, the sight of dud 150938 working the service had me internally screaming a little considering my GWR requirements! It was however a decent enough run through to shack 1, Severn Beach, which cleared the line. It was incredibly quiet also up this end of the line (a fair few Eastern European blokes seemed to get off at St Andrews Road, I assume that they were working in the vicinity) but the 2tpd service put off any more passengers. It was then taken back down the line to shack 2, Sea Mills, where I had a short wait in the fading sunshine before winner 150248 showed itself for the hop to shack 3, Shirehampton. I was glad to be moving too, owing to the fact that a bloke rooting through the bins was hanging around Sea Mills!

A now dud 150248 came back again, and despite my original plan to take it through to Nailsea and Backwell, I ended up bailing at Temple Meads and heading back for my jacket, having optimistically not bothered with it and leaving it in the room. It had suddenly gotten a lot colder! This was all i'd lose out on though, and it ensured that i'd be able to stay out longer and keep myself warm. A return was then made for the 1924 stopper to Weston Super Mare, oddly having winners 43069/43144 working. Seems that this service forms from a Paddington but spends so long in Bristol that it gets its own headcode of 2C24! A seat was had in Coach K, the 1st/Standard hybrid, owing to the fact that it only fitted in the platform at Weston, meaning that I had a peaceful journey in solitude through to shack 4, Weston-super-Mare. It was a miserable walk over to the Tesco/Petrol station thing for a bag of sugary confections to keep me alert, where I noted that the entire chav population was out in full swing, include multiple individuals intent on getting hit by cars!

I retreated back to the HST, even though it was 30 minutes until it left again, and charged my phone up in relative silence once more. Departure was eventually back north at 2026, and a very tight +3 was attempted at Yatton, shack 5. Thankfully, my service to Worle was slightly late, meaning that winners 150243/153329 were made easily, and took me to the aforementioned rather dark sixth shack of the day, where there was around 20 minutes until the 2112 to Temple Meads, formed of dud 150248, came along and took me to shack 7, Bedminster. I now had a while until my next intended move (the 2148 to Cardiff) hence I walked back to Temple Meads. Just a warning, though. Google Maps takes you through an unlit park on the walking route, which meant that I made it more of a jog to the river, using my phone torch as a guide. This later broke into somewhat of a sprint to ensure that I made the train, which was indeed successful as winner 158956 turned up and took me to shack 8, Patchway. Another daft tight connection, made only possible by the PTT being different to the WTT (The WTT has it as a +0, the PTT as a +2), but thankfully we stuck rigidly to the PTT and I was plonked right next to the footbridge, meaning that winner 158959 was easily caught, and taken back to Temple Meads.

One more move was in my sights tonight, and I wandered over to the 2230 Gloucester, formed of double winners 153370/153380, which made for a very thrashy 15 minute hop up to Bristol Parkway, where I needed to connect to the 2252 Voyager back to Temple Meads. I was prepared for a dud, so imagine my delight when winner 220030 showed itself on the run! An excellent bit of luck, which had me arriving back into Bristol at 2304. I pondered doing the 2312 Weston service for a run to Weston Milton and back, but my sane side told me to go back to the hotel and head for bed, and that's what was decided on!

A good first evening.

Total Mileage- 405mi 68ch
Total Winners- 10+8 shacks

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good first day in the Bristol area.

Yes I remember the route back from Bedminster towards Temple Meads quite well, having cycled it last year.

alexf380

Established Member
Ouch to losing the phone in Paris, but at least you got a replacement sorted pronto!

A good first day in the South West, very much looking forward to the rest.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Grim times with the phone being nicked, bet you were glad you weren't on your own on holiday!

The first day of your visit to Bristol looks like it's been excellent, I look forward to finding out what else you got up to :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ouch to having your phone stolen - that can't have been fun. It sounds like a great time on the first day of your FOSS too, with extra tram mileage as well.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Planning a 3 in 7 freedom Severn solent rover end of May, so intested to read you trip report. Will save on hotels as will get back Taunton and sleep home, how far is travelodge from temple meads

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Bad luck on the phone situation. Good first productive day there. When I did St Andrews a few weeks ago I noticed the same thing you did!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Grim times with the phone being nicked, bet you were glad you weren't on your own on holiday!

The first day of your visit to Bristol looks like it's been excellent, I look forward to finding out what else you got up to :)

Cheers, hoping to get a report on day 2 out sharpish.

Ouch to having your phone stolen - that can't have been fun. It sounds like a great time on the first day of your FOSS too, with extra tram mileage as well.

Thought you'd approve of the extra HST mileage! Get a feeling you'll like the final day of the Rover...

Planning a 3 in 7 freedom Severn solent rover end of May, so intested to read you trip report. Will save on hotels as will get back Taunton and sleep home, how far is travelodge from temple meads

The Mitchell Lane Travelodge is about a 7 minute walk but it's not particularly difficult to find.

Bad luck on the phone situation. Good first productive day there. When I did St Andrews a few weeks ago I noticed the same thing you did!

Indeed, it's annoying but the insurance company seem to be actually doing something about it now that i've shown them GPS data of the phone starting at my hotel, spending a while where I lost it, then being taken to a factory near Torcy then to someone's house in Creteil where the signal dropped!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Severn and Solent (Day 2/5)- 10/04/17

The day started off bright and early at around 0520, with me making myself a cuppa and packing the croissant and breakfast shake i’d picked up last night at the convenience store near Temple Meads before checking out and heading to that aforementioned station! It was very quiet around this morning, no surprises there, but it was a very welcome sight to see winner 150202 simmering away on the 0600 to Bristol Parkway in its refurbished guise. We were soon underway for the empty hop to shack 1, Lawrence Hill, where I had around 20 minutes to fester until the next service in behind (I was on a return to St Andrews Road before the rover kicked in) so I admired the sunrise and the rather grim looking row of shops before winner 150261 trailing dud 153333 came rolling in for the next hop along to shack 2, Stapleton Road. It was a much shorter wait here, and there were a few people starting to mill around as I noted my first 150 of the day belting through on the run now for Penzance! That can’t be a fun run, although from memory it attaches to a 153 at Plymouth, being full and standing from Newton Abbot back in 2012.

The Severn Beach service was soon arriving, unamusingly formed of stalker dud 150938 (now had on a Yate-Bristol Parkway move, an Exeter St Davids-Central move, a Temple Meads-Severn Beach-Sea Mills move and now a Stapleton Road-Montpelier move!). Anyways, no worries as I was dropped off around the corner at shack 3, Montpelier. Time to get walking in the morning sunshine up the hill, admiring a house full of geese in the front garden before slipping sideways onto shack 4, Redland. However, I was to keep going up the hill and left, right, left, right into Clifton, noting a bakery and being unable to resist a bacon sandwich, even for the slightly steep £2.90! It was however done to perfection, cooked to order and put in an insulated packet for me as I headed down to the platform at shack 5, Clifton Down, unable to resist devouring the sandwich before winner 150925 arrives in on my next adventurous run. This was taken to shack 6, Avonmouth, and was where my next walk began, bringing a taste of home back! My Dad used to drive for Lynx and UPS back in the day and he’d take me with him on his delivery runs to the likes of Corus Steel (later Tata Steel in Redcar) and Teesport, so walking up a busy industrial road with trucks speeding past every few seconds was a blast from the past!

I eventually located shack 7, St Andrews Road, and had a few minutes to await dud 150925 once more, this time arriving into Bristol Temple Meads for 0834, 2 minutes late. Bit of a yikes moment when my next intended service was the 0836! I managed to just make it onto winners 150122/158766 on the service to Weymouth (the 158 getting detached at Westbury), and took them as far as shack 8, Bath Spa. I was also being a bit naughty here, having been so engrossed in trying to get Bath in as a bonus that I didn’t realise that I was travelling a whole 24 minutes earlier than allowed :lol: I did however have a wallet with money in if the guard took issue, which she didn’t. Bath Spa was somewhat of a building site, and the usage of just 1 platform seemed to be a source of chaos as the London HST rolled in late for seemingly no reason, taking forever to unload then load again before toddling off to Bristol, leaving me to await the 09whatever to Waterloo, which should have been a guaranteed winner considering that i’d only had 3 159s! Imagine my face when dud 159002 showed itself!

Slightly disheartened, I plonked myself down in the very comfy seats (this was an unrefreshed one) and enjoyed what was actually a very nice run between Bath and Bradford on Avon. Lots of scenery to look at, and the train was pretty lightly loaded. And, it was an easy connection onto the ex Swindon 150 at Trowbridge. Not quite, as that 150 had managed to make itself 9 minutes early and the daft signaller threw it in front of us, leaving us to sit outside of Trowbridge for 15 minutes until the thing moved! I eventually bailed at Trowbridge, 8 minutes late, at shack 9, and noted the 150 on its return run. It was dud 150106, so no loss there. I did however have a bit of a chunky 20 minute wait until dud (getting a theme here) 158950 turned up to take me to shack 10, Westbury. Next move was a quirky one, as I headed for Platform 1 and dud 158766 from earlier, boarding the completely empty shuttle to Warminster. I requested Dilton Marsh off the guard and was told to get off at the very front, and it was a nice short hop there, shack 11, where I noted the insanely short platforms! It was a winding potter down the ramp, under the bridge, across the road and back up the ramp again to await the 158’s return (I’d recommend a good 2-3 minutes to change platforms as there are a couple of tight possible connections here) back to Westbury, where my next service was already waiting.

Winners (yay!) 150247/150265 were sat on the ex Weymouth to Temple Meads, 265 having evidently just attached as it was empty, and that’s where I sat for most of the journey, although there was a slightly unnerving stench of diesel in the carriage! I moved forwards just before shack 12, Freshford, bailing in glorious sunshine at what was a very pretty station, set in basically the middle of the countryside! I however made a daft mistake here in not walking to Avoncliff (my original plan was to get the next service to there and walk to Bradford on Avon, as my train back ended up being 9 late, meaning that I had nearly 35 minutes to kill. I ended up having a stroll into the fields, taking some nice shots of the surrounding area, and returning to the hilarious sight of dud 153329 all on its own for the run to Bradford on Avon, shack 13. I nipped out here for something to have at lunchtime, being returning for a Westbury service once more, unamusingly formed of dud 158954 (I need a lot of GWR’s 158s!). As I bailed on the Bristol and Somerset area hoping to see more red pen usage, I joined a packed winner 43029 leading dud 43071 to shack 14, Castle Cary, managing an aisle seat so I could charge my phone.

I had half an hour there, where there wasn’t a lot around, until dud (I also need a fair few GWR 150s!) 150127 took me along to Weymouth. It was however a very nice run, if a bit squishy until Yeovil Pen Mill. I was however glad to be getting off around an hour later at shack 15, Weymouth, and seeing a lovely air conditioned winning 444010 waiting for me on the other platform :lol: With the inbound service I wanted to connect to also running late, I also spotted a chance to capture a certain evil +1 connection level crossing shack. I took 010 to shack 16, Moreton (Dorset) with a newly created +6 connection due to an inbound delay for some reason (I think Waterloo had imploded) and onto dud 444003 back to shack 17, Upwey. It was annoying getting duds in such an exotic part of the country constantly, but I wanted these shacks done with because they’d mean that a repeat visit wouldn’t have to venture so far south! I bought my ticket from Bitterne to Bursledon for tomorrow from the TVM, before dud 150127 made a return and took me to shack 18, Dorchester West. This was merely a bonus shack because i’d timed it right so as to connect with the GWR service, and I soon had a stroll along to shack 19, Dorchester South, joining dud 444003 again up to Southampton. I could relax a bit for now.

It was a lovely run north and east along the coast before drawing inland a little and heading back around the coast through Poole. The New Forest was also a pleasing sight, before we were eventually arriving into Southampton Central at 1658. Next move was the 1706 to Totton, and very unusually, winner 159010 was heading that way! Indeed, this 159 diagram involves doing a Winchester to Totton run, going back ECS to Basingstoke, then coming out to play again for a Basingstoke to Portsmouth via Botley run later on. Very useful to get an extra 159 in. It was taken to shack 20, Redbridge, where there was a short wait for a refreshed dud 158881 to shack 21, Millbrook Hants. It was a fairly busy time here seemingly, though not a lot around except houses and the distant sight of freight trains up back near Redbridge. Nonetheless, only a few minutes needed to pass until winner 158887 made an appearance to shack 22, Romsey. I’d originally intended to go to Mottisfont and Dunbridge, but realised that if I caught the delayed GWR back earlier, i’d be able to snare a peak time extra 450 heading up to Winchester. Hence, it was a hasty bail onto dud 158960 where I was rewarded for my efforts.

Winner 450123 was in charge for the run north to shack 23, Swaythling. Indeed, the reason why i’d wanted to do this shack was that during the day, it’s a 20 minute or so wait with only the Romsey Rockets calling, but in the peaks, even the Pooles put in a call or two. It was however a very risky move as the 158 back to St Denys was late and I only had a +3. Stupidly, I jumped on dud 158881 and tried my luck. The delay wasn’t helped by the guard insisting on blowing a whistle twice and waving his flag at every station, but I jumped off at shack 24, St Denys, and absolutely bolted it down the stairs, diving through the local door of winner 158885 as it was getting ready to depart. A sigh of relief was indeed had as it was taken through to shack 25, Enthusiast Paradise. I mean...Eastleigh :lol: Indeed, plenty going on here with the first 73 i’ve seen in person simmering away in the yard, but it wasn’t long until double winners 450041/450084 were taken along to shack 26, Southampton Airport Parkway. Winner 444007 was then trundling in behind soon enough and it was back to Southampton Central. Another stab was then had at a Southampton Airport leap, and I was rewarded with winner 158883 up to the Airport, where I decided to grab dinner from the terminal before taking winner 444038 back down to the Central where a change of scenery was decided on.

Winner 158957 was next up and was duly taken to Fareham just as darkness started to fall, as I shifted focus to my remaining shacks between Fareham and Havant. A few minutes later, we then had dud 377208 coming up behind, and it was taken along to Portchester, shack 27. Another service was also waiting behind, and that was dud 450569 along to shack 28, Cosham. Time to switch directions now, and hit a rather annoying double dud formation of 450073/450075 to Fareham again, before a more fruitful winner 450126 popped up for the leap to shack 29, Botley. It was a rather dark 5 minute fester here, before winner 450035 appeared to take me Fareham bound again. I spotted an excellent move to employ before my Eastleigh run, and that was through a return to Swanwick, my last non hourly served shack between Southampton and Havant to get. It required a damn tight connection, but I pulled it off and was rewarded with winner 377154 along to shack 30, Swanwick, and indeed it was a fruitful return back with winner 450005 to Fareham.

On my return, I was greeted with a late running 377 terminated early at Fareham instead of Southampton, with the 5 or 6 passengers dumped on the platform with the driver studying the timetable for them. Yep, Southern hadn’t put an OBS on the service and it was down to the driver to lock out the carriages, help stricken passengers, and cart the unit off into a siding before it got in the way of the 2220ish to Eastleigh! Thankfully, this was slickly pulled off and an empty winner 444034 came along for the run along via Hedge End, with it being a very peaceful run, only resulting in a 20 minute wait at Eastleigh, but never mind, plenty freight action to look at, at this time!

A fair few 66s came in and out with driver changes, with many more blasting through non stop. It was an entertaining wait before winner 444024 came along on the 2303 to Southampton Central, arriving at about 2320 and seeing me taking a short stroll to the Travelodge, dumping my bags and taking a shower before sleep was had at around midnight.

A good day with the red pen eventually coming out later on!

Total Winners: 25+30 shacks
Total Mileage: 312mi 49ch

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A very productive day, bringing back memories when I was younger walking from Avoncliff towards Freshford, mostly via public footpaths in woods & fields.

Dhassell

It was a miserable walk over to the Tesco/Petrol station thing for a bag of sugary confections to keep me alert, where I noted that the entire chav population was out in full swing, include multiple individuals intent on getting hit by cars!

Yep! That sounds like Weston! :p:lol:
Very productive first two days!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
WOW that was a LOT of shacks in one day! A very long one at that, but worth it. Just reading about the bacon sandwich, which I agree is a bit chingy for Bristol, made my stomach rumble!

Very nice to read about bashing in my stomping ground of the very early 2010s. A lot of memories generated so for that I thank you most kindly!

As always an excellent read, I hope you had some better luck on the GWR DMUs on the rest of the bash!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
A very productive day, bringing back memories when I was younger walking from Avoncliff towards Freshford, mostly via public footpaths in woods & fields.

Glad I could bring back a few memories, it is indeed a very pretty area.

Yep! That sounds like Weston! :p:lol:
Very productive first two days!

Indeed, not in a rush to return :lol: Though I do need the track south of Weston down to Highbridge so I might not have a choice...

That was a super productive day! The route between Bath and Trowbridge is very scenic.

Indeed, it's one of my new favourite runs!

WOW that was a LOT of shacks in one day! A very long one at that, but worth it. Just reading about the bacon sandwich, which I agree is a bit chingy for Bristol, made my stomach rumble!

Very nice to read about bashing in my stomping ground of the very early 2010s. A lot of memories generated so for that I thank you most kindly!

As always an excellent read, I hope you had some better luck on the GWR DMUs on the rest of the bash!

Oops :lol: It was a lot of shacks indeed, and you're most welcome for the bonus nostalgia!

Sadly GWR were very stingy for the rest of the week. Spoilers in that I think I only scored 158958 and 150233 for the rest of the time in the area, though 165103 did make a welcome appearance on my journey home. Everything else on GWRs DMU fleet was for some reason, a wall of duds. Southern were actually kindest to my red pen in terms of winners to duds ratio! (Well Thameslink were but I don't think 1-0 is much :lol: )

Thanks to TPE sending trains from Newcastle to Edinburgh on Sunday coupled with bizarrely cheap advance fares and a truckload of Nectar points to boot (£13 return with 100 nectar points) i'm off for a Tram bash on Sunday, keeping in mind the new app that lists which ones are out. I also need to knock off two non-Airport shacks, and might knock off my last two Shotts line shacks as well.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
TPX are running Newcastle to Edinburgh? That's funky!

Have a grand time!

Just as extensions of Manchester Airport-Newcastle services in order to make up for the WCML being closed. I can see most opting for the bus though as there's only 4 of them each way on Sunday and Monday.

I'm on the 1115 to Edinburgh on Sunday, with services following at something like 1315, 1515 and 1915.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Glad I could bring back a few memories, it is indeed a very pretty area.

Indeed, not in a rush to return :lol: Though I do need the track south of Weston down to Highbridge so I might not have a choice...

Indeed, it's one of my new favourite runs!

Oops :lol: It was a lot of shacks indeed, and you're most welcome for the bonus nostalgia!

Sadly GWR were very stingy for the rest of the week. Spoilers in that I think I only scored 158958 and 150233 for the rest of the time in the area, though 165103 did make a welcome appearance on my journey home. Everything else on GWRs DMU fleet was for some reason, a wall of duds. Southern were actually kindest to my red pen in terms of winners to duds ratio! (Well Thameslink were but I don't think 1-0 is much :lol: )

Thanks to TPE sending trains from Newcastle to Edinburgh on Sunday coupled with bizarrely cheap advance fares and a truckload of Nectar points to boot (£13 return with 100 nectar points) i'm off for a Tram bash on Sunday, keeping in mind the new app that lists which ones are out. I also need to knock off two non-Airport shacks, and might knock off my last two Shotts line shacks as well.

Just remember that the Shotts Line on Sundays at the moment is West Calder - Edinburgh only, with rail replacement buses after West Calder towards Glasgow. Add on a rough 2 hour frequency, which 2 shacks do you need (as I could probably give you hints)

If doing a tram hunt, might I suggest buying a PlusBus ticket for Edinburgh (as it be cheaper than the All-Day ticket, plus you can get a railcard discount). The App is useful as it shows the next 4 trams in each direction from a particular stop, I suggest using a stop like Edinburgh Park Station as you shouldn't get repeats.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just remember that the Shotts Line on Sundays at the moment is West Calder - Edinburgh only, with rail replacement buses after West Calder towards Glasgow. Add on a rough 2 hour frequency, which 2 shacks do you need (as I could probably give you hints)

If doing a tram hunt, might I suggest buying a PlusBus ticket for Edinburgh (as it be cheaper than the All-Day ticket, plus you can get a railcard discount). The App is useful as it shows the next 4 trams in each direction from a particular stop, I suggest using a stop like Edinburgh Park Station as you shouldn't get repeats.

I need Curriehill and Kirknewton which are served by bus services in the PlusBus area (by my last two Shotts line shacks, I actually mean those under the wires as I actually need Cleland and Breich as well) so ideally i'd get a bus to one, train between them and a bus onwards.

Indeed it's a PlusBus all the way.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A very enjoyable read of lots of places I know well. Thanks for sharing it all RG.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I need Curriehill and Kirknewton which are served by bus services in the PlusBus area (by my last two Shotts line shacks, I actually mean those under the wires as I actually need Cleland and Breich as well) so ideally i'd get a bus to one, train between them and a bus onwards.

Indeed it's a PlusBus all the way.

Breich -> Fauldhouse (or even Addiewell) is an easy walk for someone like you ;)

I'm surprised the bus services covered by the Plusbus extend all the way to Kirknewton [bus stop outside the station IIRC]

Anyhow Curriehill is a footbridge shack [think it may be one of those long footbridges], with Kirknewton being a level crossing shack [where the barriers go down early]

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Breich -> Fauldhouse (or even Addiewell) is an easy walk for someone like you ;)

I'm surprised the bus services covered by the Plusbus extend all the way to Kirknewton [bus stop outside the station IIRC]

Anyhow Curriehill is a footbridge shack [think it may be one of those long footbridges], with Kirknewton being a level crossing shack [where the barriers go down early]

I'm sure it extends to Kirknewton as it goes to Curriehill and there's a large amount of yellow to the west of it on the map. Balerno is also covered which is only just down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.