• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Wow now THAT was a good day out! I must confess to not having yet seen the sights you did, but now I want to. I may have to seek your expert advice before I go next time!

feel free :lol: I was just keen to cram in a little bit of everything!

I'm glad you enjoyed the loco haulage over there, the 21 must have been hellfire! I've had a couple of them but not enough. They are hard to come by now, unless you do an evening peak bash like you did. I had similar problems, as discussed in my trip report in January, with the Jump and have yet to work out why. Something to ask the experts on the forum about that!

I've just had the one though I noted at least four on rush hour P designated workings. I''m yet to work out why either, as they are advertised as valid.

I've not done many of the shacks you did, although a couple of them sounded awful anyway. Definitely agree on the hospital waiting room feel on some of the SNCB coaching stock! :lol:

Not done a step-entrance tram over there yet, another objective to conquer one day. Ouch to such an early start and nearly missing your train out of Wembley though! Is that hotel you stayed at much cop?

Room was nice and the hotel was nice enough but service was shockingly bad, rudest staff members i'd encountered all week, except from the Novotel that booted me out at 1am because my card was £1 short and they refused my multiple offers of resolving the situation in the morning!

Still need to try a 374 myself, although it doesn't sound like you enjoyed the experience all that much. Only need to try a 374 and a 707 to have sampled all the currently available classes in the UK, although it won't be long until the 385s and 800 Series get onto that list too!

They're alright but a tad more cramped compared to a 373. I'd go for one over an original 373 set though, E300 being the superior!

If you want ancient EMUs you have to try the AM62 family, very old but still hellfire. My first ever SNCB train was one of those. Didn't think much of them on my leap to Nord but I've had them since then and found the experience similar to a 313. I don't believe they show up in Brussels much if at all now the AM08s are in squadron service.

I missed catching one by seconds and it then disappeared off diagram, replaced by treble AM08s.

Beer at McDonalds sounds ever so odd, and as a beerticker I must ask which beer it was!

Thoroughly enjoyable read, and as much as I love your UK reports the Brussels one I had really looked forward to. I reckon you'll be hooked and want to explore more of Europe now ;)

The beer was a 330ml can of Jupiler. Was alright but obviously not quite so Artisan! Just wanted the novelty of having a can of beer in McDonald's :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
feel free :lol: I was just keen to cram in a little bit of everything!

Sometimes you have to do things that way though, I did when I did Milan a few weeks ago (by gum it feels like months ago), due to arriving over 4 hours later than planned there wasn't much time to play with. Still, I achieved everything I wanted to do!

Room was nice and the hotel was nice enough but service was shockingly bad, rudest staff members i'd encountered all week, except from the Novotel that booted me out at 1am because my card was £1 short and they refused my multiple offers of resolving the situation in the morning!

Jesus that is poor! Won't be booking either of those then!

They're alright but a tad more cramped compared to a 373. I'd go for one over an original 373 set though, E300 being the superior!

Interesting viewpoint, my memory of the original 373 sets are a bit hazy now, but then this was 2006 so it's perhaps fair enough. I do like the refurb that they did, the WiFi working on my device was a pleasant surprise and being able to charge my phone was a miracle considering I hadn't taken my Euro plug adapter when I last went to Brussels. Even worse is that I have 3 of the things somewhere in the house!

I missed catching one by seconds and it then disappeared off diagram, replaced by treble AM08s.

Sounds like the AM62 will have been a depot kick-out to cover something. I'm not a big fan of the seats on the AM08s, but I do like the PIS on them.

The beer was a 330ml can of Jupiler. Was alright but obviously not quite so Artisan! Just wanted the novelty of having a can of beer in McDonald's :lol:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Jupiler *drools* :D:lol:

I love Jupiler, I'll never forget trying it at Charerloi (or however you spell it!) Airport and falling in love with it. So much so in January I brought an 8 pack of 500ml cans of it home with me! If I hadn't had to consider how heavy my case would have got, I'd have taken at least one more multipack home. Put it this way, I LOVE Butty Bach as well, and it remains my most logged beer ever on my Untappd, but Jupiler would be higher if I had the chance. If I could buy it easily in the UK it would be happily chosen on every night out, every after-work social and so on!

Oh my, resisting a spin to Brussels is getting very difficult...!

Established Member
Eventually caught up with your thread Richard, took a few bus journeys to and from work but got there in the end. Cracking read there.

You've certainly hammered your requirements on all fronts by the sound of it. Quite ironic your last Northern 156 should be on the Tyne Valley, when your in its home turf looking for it and congrats on clearing the Northern Starships too.

Congrats are also in order for your A Level results and getting into your Uni of choice. Very handy as the 399s are close to entering service, as I write 399202 has entered service, so no doubt, they'll be roped in quickly, as you fritter away your student loan on the way to the pub, gigs, women etc. Jammy swine, hope all goes well.

The list of winners from the ALR and other trips, made me swear to myself on the bus, it was, f*×k me, look at that lot, that and the list of shacks, was mighty impressive. The trip to Belgium was a great read too, seen some videos on YouTube of the railway scene over there and the loco hauled turns sound impressive locos too. The EMUs, not sure which class they are, I believe one class are nicknamed Kennys(517) and the other Minions or Goggles(935).

All in all a cracking read, I look forward to any more of the ALR reports. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Much agreed with the above comments RG. Very interesting and loved the photos too. Sounds like it was a great experience.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Days 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-12-13-14: A summary.

It’s time for a summary. Because I fear that I’ll never get around to finishing this, and you already have the lists of numbers, so let’s do a nice little summary of the remaining days minus the numbers, showing what I got up to added with a few thoughts as we go.

Day 4- Hard Times

I was up fairly early, irritating my friend a little, out for 0555 and ready for the 0605 bus to Polegate. Which didn’t turn up. Correction! The 0635 bus, and I made it clear how peeved I was to the driver, while also of course bearing in mind that it wasn’t his fault. Visiting Glynde was surrendered as a result and I actually did fairly well with the red pen, scooping all winning 377s on my trip to the quaint but badly served Berwick (Sussex), swooping over to Bexhill with the commuters and back to the very ramshackle and windswept Collington before drowning myself crossing the platform at Ore. I then took a swift change of direction and took a 171 along to Ashford, falling asleep in First Class between basically Three Oaks and Ashford :lol: Coffee promptly sourced from Frothbucks for a wakeup call, before I knocked out the shacks between Tonbridge and Ashford in the pouring rain, which was reasonably good for the old red pen, then moving onto some 465 action and clearing out Chelsfield, Dunton Green and Knockholt. Swiftly back to the seven oaks, and I was onto the rare crawl to the Watery loo via the reinstated curve, meaning that that was one nice PSUL move out the way.

A sprint then ensued across London and an argument with the gateline at Kings Cross (who saw my rover not working the gates as suspicious) and a few yells at platform dispatchers for blowing whistles for the 14:08 Newark at 14:05:45! (We left at 14:08) but this was an important move as it saw 90029 knocked off. An evening in Cambridgeshire ensued, with a mix of 365, 379 and 387 action seeing all stations Royston to Waterbeach cleared, including a visit to the shiny Cambridge North and a nailbiting +0.5 connection at Meldreth, before I decided to go check into the EasyHotel Paddington. Nice little place, well located for Paddington, and I ended up having a spin out to Reading before noting a stopper formed of eight coaches. EIGHT. All winners, 165131, 166209 and 166213 from what I recall. Swiftly taken to Twyford, back to Reading on a single 166 and another HST powercar snared back to Paddington.

Day 5- Daydreaming

I woke up at 06:48, which was an issue considering I was intending to catch the 06:00 off Liverpool Street. I yelped, crammed everything in my bag, and dived out the door by 06:53, on the tube at Edgware Road by 06:59, and was at Liverpool Street for 07:23. Thankfully I had a very understanding friend for today, as I joined the 07:30 to Norwich instead, which was the same loco for the 09:30 to Liverpool Street! Piles of mileage off 90005 then :lol: This was a nice relaxing day exploring Camden, Little Venice and the like, which saw me snare 315831 during the day (I need just 2 315s now, 1 of which isn’t in damn service anymore!) as well as a 395, the icing on the cake being 90010 back to Norwich on the 21:30. Drunk trespasser on the line at Colchester made things a bit awkward, so it was basically midnight by the time I crashed into bed at Travelodge Norwich Riverside.

Day 6- Pressure

Kept awake by drunks all night, I vented my spleen a little at reception in the morning, though all credit to the bloke behind the desk as he was lovely and gave me a refund! I joined the 0530 to Colchester, annoyingly being the same 90 from last night, and knocked out Hythe (where the crossing gates actually lifted for about 30 seconds and let me pull off a +3!) before finishing my GEML shacks (except Manningtree, that was done later) and enjoying some triple units before I eventually settled on getting some new track in on the Southminster line having visited Alresford for some reason. Conductor was top notch on the first unit running on the line, telling me the best way to get all the shacks in on the line, before wishing me luck on what was a very trashing day! Southminster, Burnham-on-Crouch and Althorne were knocked off in the end.

Nail biting time as my connection heading back at Wickford was put in jeopardy by a late running service at North Fambridge, though the driver was excellent and kept us very well informed (and kept up the pace) ensuring that we made our connections back to London, where I decided I had enough time to go via Stratford International and bag another 395 (395023) before grabbing some supplies and heading for the 1500 to Stirling, back to Newcastle, grabbing the usual Mercedes Citaro back home and showering, refreshing and getting the bag nicely repacked.

Then I did something insane, I left the house again and went back to the station :lol: I was hating myself for doing this, but it maximised my time and added to the mileage and adventure, by throwing myself onto the 2016 as far south as Stevenage! I was basically asleep by the time we arrived, so the swap onto a pair of (dud) 387s and their incessant bouncing shook me awake quite well, leaving me so awake that I found a really silly service that I absolutely had to try :lol: The 365 operated 2350 Kings Cross-Finsbury Park. Yes. Just Finsbury Park. I then ended up on the late running 2356 service to Highbury, onwards to the Victoria Line where I thought ‘balls to this, I want winners!’ and I ended up sampling the weirdness of Southern night services. See...all those lovely 377/1s and 377/4s? The ones that stick to the mainline? Shoved on Epsoms and West Croydons. Stupidly, I joined a dud 377415 to Battersea Park only to realise that a pair of winning 377/3s were on the 0037 West Croydon. So, of course, I waited for them. 377302 and 377304. And onwards to Clapham! There was thankfully a return service at 0104, meaning that I was in my EasyHotel by 0120 and not obliged to be up again until 0700.

Day 7- Born For This

I woke up on time for what I actually wanted to do, surprisingly, and headed for Marylebone with breakfast in hand. A few shacks between Aylesbury and Amersham were knocked off, before the clearing of the track to the Vale Parkway, down to Saunderton which saw everything north of Denham Golf Club completed on the Chiltern, where I had a waiver thrust into my hands on boarding 165003 north to the Risborough! Music started playing, and indeed i’d wandered into the filming of a TV advert :lol: It was a fairly impressive setup, piano playing and all, but I was headed north to complete my track coverage to Oxford, before a nice fast blast on a 165 to Reading non-stop. What next? Every single station from Reading to Newbury? Sure! It was a fairly uneventful ticking off until I reached Midgham where I had a +5 and a level crossing. It stayed down. It. Stayed. Down. It did however come up fairly sharp so I practically ducked and dive under it, pelted my way up the ramp and dived through the doors of the 166 to Newbury Racecourse. What’s that? I’m running to Newbury now? Sigh…

Didcot to Reading shacks then followed, where the red pen was getting absolutely no use whatsoever, so I did Earley and Winnersh, scoring a pile of 450s in the process. Now HST time was beckoning as I spent my evening scoring around 10 of the things, including one a little closer to my heart than others. See, visiting Didcot Parkway 7 years ago and seeing these brutes at 125mph is what got me into the railways, and there’s a photo of me with 43098. I’d never had 43098 for haulage, and i’d worked out its moves, so along I went, roped it in and felt that little pang of enthusiasm from my childhood come back. Back and forth I went from Reading to Didcot before heading up to Swindon and having a blast through to Paddington from there, arriving at about 21:30.

Let’s go and clear all the Shepperton Line shacks! Sure! Why not! I bound my way to Vauxhall, and in filling in my time until a Shepperton service, I bizarrely stumbled onto some 450s working their way to Hampton Court, something that does seem to happen but very very rarely. I’ll be honest, the line was fairly grim at night, and it was a bit of a naff walk from Kempton Park to Sunbury at 11pm, but I finished up at Fulwell for 23:10 and headed for the 23:21 bus to my hotel, which conveniently ended up arriving at 23:44! It was a relief to be back at the Premier Inn, Heathrow Terminal 4, for the third and final time this past month, with all the staff welcoming me back to what is a real monster sized hotel (Rooms on 7 floors, all numbered from x01 to x98). Sleep time!

Day 8- When it Rains

The 482 was taking me to Southall this morning, where I was meant to head for Reading and subsequently the West Country, but the 360 to Paddington was late so I managed to join it on the 0722 service, fast line running being the order of the day, which saw massive steps onto the train. I then completely changed my mind, and joined the Newport service through to Newport. We were massively screwed over by a late running freight train, meaning that I had to surrender a visit to Chepstow, and it poured with rain on arrival at Newport, but I persisted and headed for Caldicot, having a drizzly stroll back to Severn Tunnel Junction and into Newport once more. McDonald’s duly sourced, then bizarrely joining an Ebbw Vale service was the order of the day! Yes, i’m now probably the only person to have done Newport to Pye Corner but not Cardiff to Pye Corner :lol: It was a wet but scenic run up and back down the line, before I leapt off at Pye Corner and joined a shiny Scania Omnicity for the blast to Cardiff Central.

After an interrogation with regards to my destination, I ended up scooping up 2 150s on a Queen Street leap before a 142 pair took me along to Bridgend via Rhoose, where an HST had me back along to Newport, and the same 150 from earlier took me to Gloucester, completing the line via Chepstow for track. Quick swap to an HST and it was down to Stonehouse for a supply raid, before heading straight back, and with there being nothing else to do for a couple of hours, it was to Lydney and back before I joined the same HST from earlier to Kemble, clearing the Golden Valley for track and shacks before joining a winning pair of 150s to Swindon and an HST to Bristol where I spotted a chance to grab Keynsham, so I went ahead and snared that (plus 150238) before I checked into the Hilton (£44!) and enjoyed all of the amenities before the trashing start the next morning.

Day 9- When It (Still) Rains

I was up at some ungodly hour for the 0520 Voyager to Cahhdiff, promptly grabbing a sausage baguette on arrival, being noting the single 153 taking me to Swansea via Ninian Park, where I then fell asleep again for most of the way, jumping off for a coffee before joining a 150 for the fast run to Fishguard, skipping Carmarthen and going direct to Whitland. Having witnessed exactly 3 people get off for the ferry, it was back to Clarbeston Road, joining the Milford Haven, and promptly ticking that off before requesting Johnston on the way back. I popped into the local shop for some supplies before handing over my £3.90 for the 30 or so minute blast on a Dart to Pembroke Dock, a bit of a naff place really. Joining the 150 to Penally was somewhat of a relief, where I had a few minutes to look around before taking another to Lamphey, complete with lovely guard who asked me what I was up to before I set off on the walk to Pembroke itself, which truly is a very nice town with plenty to look at. I successfully filled my hour here!

It was time to head for somewhere more populated as I took the 150 to Pembrey & Burry Port, awaiting a late running 175 back to the evil Kidwelly. Some charming kids did an emergency door release as it arrived at the station, resulting in a very peeved announcement being made by the guard after we set off having dumped them at Pembrey, but it also meant that I didn’t have long to wait until the next service filed in behind to take me to the positively beautiful but also baltic Ferryside, where I retreated for shelter as the wind and rain battered my face stepping off the 158. Next service was taken to Port Talbot, where I stumbled into dud HSTs to Neath then to Bridgend, ticking me off greatly as they were both ones i’d had very recently! I then decided to walk to Wildmill before noting a double winning pair of 150s back at Bridgend, so I stumped up the half hour wait at Llantwit Major only to score a third! Tight connection then saw me go all the way to Maesteg and come back, clearing that line, before going full idiot and catching the service via the Swansea District Line to Llanelli, seeing another semi-awkward bit of track done. Final move was a 158 to Swansea, complete with a guard who was again very interested in what I was up to.

Swansea was grim, as were the drunks puking up in the streets to greet me as I arrived. Bed was the Premier Inn, and I happily collapsed.

Day 10- When it (STILL!) Rains

Up for the 0559 to Paddington in the morning, I got myself along to Cardiff before a run to Bargoed which was an utterly grim looking place, more sad than anything, before I noticed a theme as I took advantage of the end of peak workings to tick off all the stations up to Rhymney. Everywhere was sad. Everywhere looked neglected. The rain had a certain pathetic fallacy about it as I noticed just how bad the Valleys were for deprivation. There was seemingly no soul anymore. This was bolstered by just how naff Rhymney was. At least Merthyr Tydfil had some signs of life as I had a nail biting connection off the number 1 bus from Rhymney onto stalker 150281 to Troed-y-Rhiw then back up to Pentre-Bach. Order of the day now was clearing Aberdare and Treherbert along with an assortment of shacks (though none between Abercynon and Aberdare were done) with the odd unit being scooped up on the way, before I ended up bounding my way back to Central Cardiff in order to intercept a required 143 on the City Line (and knock off two shacks on that line) before scooping up the 153 on the Bay Line then working out a line of attack for my last two required ATW 142s (seeing as 072 decided it wanted to set itself on fire) which was successful, with 002 falling first.

This put me at Taffs Well, a required shack, then it was back into the centre for some Queen Street leaps to knock off a few 150s before 142073 was snared and I had a +3 at Central for the 1931 to Paddington, dropping back at Reading for a required pair of power cars before arrival at Paddington and a run to Marylebone for 165s to Wembley Stadium and check in at the Best Western Wembley. What a shambles! Checked in by some miserable bloke who demanded a damage deposit. Thankfully the room was much better.

Day 12- For an Optimist, I’m Pretty Pessimistic (sp)

I awoke in EasyHotel Earls Court slightly groggy after my Brussels adventure, an hour late, meaning that I was ending up on the 0707 Ashford, and ended up nearly having an argument with the woman on the gate who wasn’t paying attention, and when I did catch her attention I received a load of lip! Still, it was all the way along to Charing, back over to Bearsted, then I headed for Ashford and aimed to clear off Kent today. With that, it was along to Canterbury West on a behemoth of treble 375s before a swift change into the peace and quiet of Chartham. Back to Canterbury, a nice walk through a park, into Canterbury East and then onto one of those rare 375/3 things up to Teynham, before eventually ending up at Sittingbourne to try and tackle the Sheerness line once and for all! ‘Oh this won’t be so bad’ I say as a winning 466 approaches. ‘Oh yes it will’ I say as I realise i’ve had enough and settle on getting Kemsley in and bagging the other 466 before running away again.

I ended up heading down to Margate once again, just like how I started the week, this time ticking off Westgate on Sea followed by the delightful Dumpton Park, with a walk ensuing to Ramsgate, allowing me to head to Canterbury West and clear off the track there. I was then left with basically no connection at all on the way back, which had me kicking the walls a tad, as I ended up firing myself out of the doors and into the closing doors of the peak time 375 via Sandwich, which then left 5 late anyway. Hot headed for nothing :lol: The shacks between Dover and Ramsgate were subsequently ticked off before my attention turned to the line via Adisham from Faversham to Dover, and I spent the next couple of hours using the half hourly frequency to tick off every station except Kearsney.

One final frontier as I headed for Ashford afterwards, and headed for Edenbridge where I did the lonely walk to Edenbridge Town before mopping up Hever in a filler move and making my way back to Clapham Junction, West Brompton and making the walk back to my hotel.

Day 13- Part II

Anglia was the order of the day today, with me starting on the 06:10ish Braintree, swapping onto the Southend where I fell asleep (though without any negative consequence) to the end of the line, being woken up by the driver :lol: A lack of sleep was taking its toll, clearly. A linear hopping session then took place, scooping up at least 8 new 321s before making my way back towards London and finishing off the West Anglia, even spotting Michael Underwood on my visit to Harlow Mill. That saw all stations from Newport Essex to Liverpool Street finished, as I also popped into Angel Road and noted just how grim the place was. Not as in, the area was bad, but it was industrious and throttled by motorways. I then headed back for the GEML and finished off the Southminster line proper, making use of a One Stop supermarket at South Woodham Ferrers and admiring the rather quirky village of Battlesbridge.

Where next? Well I had myself a random move to Harold Wood just to pick off 315861, before taking advantage of a few early peak extra services in the mix (such as a 3x321 service that only runs from Ingatestone to Colchester, schools service it seemed) before joining a Harwich Town service to Wrabness, subsequently Mistley, Harwich Town and Dovercourt where the sun was starting to set. I left International for a few hours, heading back to Manningtree and joining the 317 diagram down to Colchester, my oh my can those things make noise! It was then a 90 back up to Ipswich before I took a completely empty 170203 around the North Curve and into Harwich International, where the danger music started to play as the Manningtree was 4L on a 3 minute connection.

GA refused to hold the London service despite it having nothing behind it (and we’re talking a 60 second hold) but thankfully the connection was only just made. What now? Well I dived onto the 90 and worked out that I could nab myself 315839 fairly easily but it was getting incredibly late by now, and by the time I slogged myself down to Romford to intercept it (dropping back onto a 321 at Chelmsford for Shenfield) and got myself on another 321 into Liverpool Street, it was getting on for Midnight (indeed I caught what seemed to be the 0004 Met Line to Wembley Park) so arrival at my Novotel for 0030 was much welcome and I went to check in. Oh, they hadn’t taken my money yet, unlike every other hotel and going against what they said they’d do? (I checked- they genuinely hadn’t) Okay, alarm bells ringing here but I went to pay anyway, though this was my final night away so my account wasn’t very healthy. I was £1 short. One. Pound.

I offered to call my parents first thing in the morning, and offered my camera as collateral, all sorts like that, just to get myself in bed. The absolutely vile woman behind the desk just stared me down until I left and told me to leave, saying she didn’t care if I slept rough because ‘rules are rules and you’re not staying’. So, 1am, i’m stood shaking like a leaf in Wembley, and I have the sense to call up EasyHotel Earls Court and get myself a room for £42. It was a slog to get myself all the way over there, arriving around 0150, but I cannot rate the place highly enough. The bloke behind the desk couldn’t believe i’d been booted out for the sake of a pound! Accor group won’t respond to my emails either, so it’s one where I might simply have to accept that being left to fend for myself at 1am was appropriate service.

Day 14- Last Hope

I didn’t start until the 0906 off Paddington, needing time to recover and even then I was in a foul mood all morning, nearly flipping at the bus driver because my Oyster was just under in credit, so she opened the doors and said ‘get off then!’. Cue me slapping my contactless card on the reader (which was accepted) and saying ‘I don’t think so, love’. I was however reasonably productive in the morning, heading for Reading then a Turbo all the way to Burnham and back (GWML finally finished from Paddington to Cardiff exc. Pilning) before I decided i’d had enough of dashing around, and ended up down a few leaps from Swindon to Chippenham and back before heading to Avoncliff.

What a beautiful place. Sure, I’d hit dud, dud, dud, dud, dud, dud… in getting there (and didn’t have another winner until my Pewsey to Westbury move) but it was gorgeous and gave me time to breathe, relax and reflect after a horrible night then threatened to sour the memory of the whole trip. I then had a trundle down to Frome just to get it outta the way, followed by Pewsey, and that was it really. I headed back to Westbury, a place i’d visited a fair few times this summer, and dived on an HST back to Reading, dropping back a set there (pointless, as it was a dud set) and making a point of getting some shots out of the window on the approaches to Paddington, as I have no idea whether i’ll ever get to do that again (depending on the speed of the IEP introduction) and took a moment to take it all in, with a line of HSTs standing proudly on Platforms 1 to 5.

The journey back behind 91109 was somewhat uneventful, and I felt a pang of sadness as the door slid open at Newcastle, me stepping onto the platform and grabbing a shot of my final haulage of the week, before disappearing into the rainy Saturday night crowds.

Final Thoughts.

I mean, it’s not *just* this All Line Rover that has comprised this summer, i’ve been up and down the country basically every single weekend in July and August. I’ve done some crazy stuff, i’ve sat up front in the cab on an Edinburgh Tram from Airport to Murrayfield for example, chatting about current developments with a driver, i’ve done the Norfolk loco hauled services (eventually), done London commutes repeatedly, racked up thousands of miles, sampled a wide variety of hotels (M by Montcalm Shoreditch was the absolute highlight- look it up, it’s 5 star and it’s pristine), and filled the books nicely. I’ve met a ton of new people, maybe drank a little much at times (on my way back from Cornwall I had a fair few drinks so while everyone was complaining about the diversion via Leeds, I was smiling my way along), but most importantly, i’ve loved it. It's been pricey and it's had its moments (sent off a block of delay claims yesterday, including one where both Newcastle to London and return on the same trip were disrupted by 81 and 69 minutes respectively) but it's something i've woken up for every day and wanted to do.

God, I’ve no doubt i’m going to have summers like this again, as YouTube conventions and parties happen every year, and with Europe: that was a mere taster. But it’s been absolutely insane and the All Line Rover was the icing on the cake. Sure, I was at my wits end in the past day or so, but it’s all life experience, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.The wandering through Exeter at midnight, the early morning slogs, the blasting up from one end of the country to the other and back again, the 928 hotel stays, the 317 noise, the random strangers i’ve struck up conversations with, the...bliss.

It’s been a pleasure, and I hope to see these reports continue (after a bit of a hiatus for the initial trials and tribulations of university)

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Eventually caught up with your thread Richard, took a few bus journeys to and from work but got there in the end. Cracking read there.

You've certainly hammered your requirements on all fronts by the sound of it. Quite ironic your last Northern 156 should be on the Tyne Valley, when your in its home turf looking for it and congrats on clearing the Northern Starships too.

Congrats are also in order for your A Level results and getting into your Uni of choice. Very handy as the 399s are close to entering service, as I write 399202 has entered service, so no doubt, they'll be roped in quickly, as you fritter away your student loan on the way to the pub, gigs, women etc. Jammy swine, hope all goes well.

The list of winners from the ALR and other trips, made me swear to myself on the bus, it was, f*×k me, look at that lot, that and the list of shacks, was mighty impressive. The trip to Belgium was a great read too, seen some videos on YouTube of the railway scene over there and the loco hauled turns sound impressive locos too. The EMUs, not sure which class they are, I believe one class are nicknamed Kennys(517) and the other Minions or Goggles(935).

All in all a cracking read, I look forward to any more of the ALR reports. Thanks for sharing.

Sadly 1 more is yet to fall! 156461 continues to evade me :lol: I do indeed hope that the 399s will be roped in quickly, and indeed I do intend to make the most of Freshers Week (while maintaining a healthy balance of course ;) )

I know the list of winners was slightly insane! Glad you enjoyed the reads though.

Much agreed with the above comments RG. Very interesting and loved the photos too. Sounds like it was a great experience.

Glad you enjoyed and indeed it was quite the experience!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks for your entertaining summary, it sounds a lot of fun and memorable. I am not a fan of any accor hotels brand and whilst Iv never stayed at Novotel their functions/events dept has given me much work related stress (where do they get their truly rancid staff?) so not just you.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Thanks for your entertaining summary, it sounds a lot of fun and memorable. I am not a fan of any accor hotels brand and whilst Iv never stayed at Novotel their functions/events dept has given me much work related stress (where do they get their truly rancid staff?) so not just you.
I've had a lot of experience with their London Excel Hotel, due to a couple of naff stays. Management seemed mortified and were giving out heavily reduced stays left right and centre but staff on the ground were clueless.

I did like all the staff encountered in Ibis Styles and Mercure Hotels, but these were on the continent.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have just read your day 4 - 14 summary and loved it. I can imagine how tired you must have been at times but you covered a lot of stuff including a fair few that I need in the south east.
Any idea how many miles you did over the two weeks?

Established Member
Great summing up Richard, I find it hard to believe a fellow Geordie getting narked in London:lol:.

I totally agree with you, when your summing the whole thing up. I haven't been that fortunate to do an ALR, YET!!! but I think you were spot on, when summed up what most of us enjoy about this hobby, ok some of us have different agenda's but the main principle applies to us all, getting out on the rails, meeting various folk, sometimes like minded souls, maybe sharing a beer or two at times or a bit natter about the weather or footy results, with folk in general.

Yeah every know and again, you get the odd a=hole extracting the water, the woman in the hotel for example, sounded a bit of a cow, having worked in a hotel earlier on in my career, It'll not come as a shock when I tell you, by no means not all but most, hotel receptionists, think its gloriously sunny all the time, cos their heads are so far up their own arse, they think they'll get a tan because of the sun they think shines out of it. Go above and beyond to make sure that gets settled, shocking service that. However as you rightly said it's a life experience and in a few months you'll probably laugh it off, unfortunately for them, you'll never use them and I dare say, many on here will now avoid it like the plague too.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Have just read your day 4 - 14 summary and loved it. I can imagine how tired you must have been at times but you covered a lot of stuff including a fair few that I need in the south east.
Any idea how many miles you did over the two weeks?
Glad you enjoyed, and not yet! When I have a few hours spare I'll calculate it all

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Great summing up Richard, I find it hard to believe a fellow Geordie getting narked in London[emoji38].

I totally agree with you, when your summing the whole thing up. I haven't been that fortunate to do an ALR, YET!!! but I think you were spot on, when summed up what most of us enjoy about this hobby, ok some of us have different agenda's but the main principle applies to us all, getting out on the rails, meeting various folk, sometimes like minded souls, maybe sharing a beer or two at times or a bit natter about the weather or footy results, with folk in general.

Yeah every know and again, you get the odd a=hole extracting the water, the woman in the hotel for example, sounded a bit of a cow, having worked in a hotel earlier on in my career, It'll not come as a shock when I tell you, by no means not all but most, hotel receptionists, think its gloriously sunny all the time, cos their heads are so far up their own arse, they think they'll get a tan because of the sun they think shines out of it. Go above and beyond to make sure that gets settled, shocking service that. However as you rightly said it's a life experience and in a few months you'll probably laugh it off, unfortunately for them, you'll never use them and I dare say, many on here will now avoid it like the plague too.
Very well put.

I wouldn't wish to tar all reception staff with the same brush (EasyHotel ones were all absolutely amazing for example, and the staff at the Montcalm were above and beyond) but for some reason, 4* places seem to attract the staff who think they're God's gift running some fancy boutique, whereas they're just in some souped up Premier Inn.

Go below that, they're more human and know their place, above that and they don't dare put a foot wrong and go above and beyond because you're dealing with many rich clientele.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed Kite, it was both slightly sad and a relief to be done with!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was a thoroughly enjoyable read good sir! I dread to think how much that lot all cost mind!

For sure that sounds like my sort of ALR, but equally I would find it thoroughly exhausting and not worth it. Not when I can have a bloody good bash in Europe for less money! A 3 day Benelux InterRail would only cost me £112, less for you as you're under 26. Try having 3 days of such varied travel for that money in the UK! Better trains, more freedom, no silly peak restrictions and such enormous choice of routes and cities.

Yeah, I'm becoming a Euro crank, it's 99% certain...

Established Member
That was a thoroughly enjoyable read good sir! I dread to think how much that lot all cost mind!

For sure that sounds like my sort of ALR, but equally I would find it thoroughly exhausting and not worth it. Not when I can have a bloody good bash in Europe for less money! A 3 day Benelux InterRail would only cost me £112, less for you as you're under 26. Try having 3 days of such varied travel for that money in the UK! Better trains, more freedom, no silly peak restrictions and such enormous choice of routes and cities.

Having seen various videos on youtube tech, i think its a very good idea, especially if your needs on the these shores are basically shacks and tracks and basically all required in one certain area, which will eventually become more n more tedious, hitting on a regular basis. As they say, a change is as good as a rest. However a new platform 5 book of Benelux trains is no doubt required.

Happy hunting.

barrowjack

Just caught up with these, sounds like a fantastic ALR. Particularly enjoyed your Belgium repot. Have been discussing the merits of a return visit with Techniquest on my early years thread and now definitely want to go back! I had a Class 27 (2721) way back in 2000 (My first SNCB winner) so good to see them still around

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That is excellent value for money. It does look very interesting over there.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just caught up with these, sounds like a fantastic ALR. Particularly enjoyed your Belgium repot. Have been discussing the merits of a return visit with Techniquest on my early years thread and now definitely want to go back! I had a Class 27 (2721) way back in 2000 (My first SNCB winner) so good to see them still around

I'm glad you enjoyed. Indeed they're actually around in fairly plentiful numbers!

Keith Jarrett

The ALR sounded fantastic barring the incident at Wembley and the odd hiccough along the way. I hope you enjoyed Caneshum, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M (Radio Luxemburg listeners from days gone by will know what I am getting at) - after all it's the nearest station to my childhood home.

Appreciate that writing up a 14-day ALR would take oodles of time but the summary did the trick, especially as you picked out the salient points. Good luck with uni in the field next to the River Sheaf - no doubt you have a few adventures to relate in due course!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Having seen various videos on youtube tech, i think its a very good idea, especially if your needs on the these shores are basically shacks and tracks and basically all required in one certain area, which will eventually become more n more tedious, hitting on a regular basis. As they say, a change is as good as a rest. However a new platform 5 book of Benelux trains is no doubt required.

Happy hunting.

Oh I've got a big lot of needs in the UK still, but it's not just the same any more. Yes I know, some of you reading this will mention that there's still plenty of interesting traction around and all that, but I'm just not finding the enthusiasm to go up and down doing the same bits of track all day long like I used to. There's no one reason for it, it's just how things are.

I didn't know until Keith mentioned it the Benelux book was due to be updated, I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. It's not a cheap book, as anyone who's bought one knows, but it is very useful if you've not been over there before.

I've booked myself a stay in easyHotel Croydon for the Spa Valley gala now, and thanks to Virgin wanting too much money and a good deal via Paypal, I'm going to London by coach. I am still tempted to invest in a good pair of binos and research a decent (and legal!) spot at Heathrow to plane spot though, that was immense fun in 2010 and I'd love to do it again!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Glad you enjoyed the read Keith.

Freshers Week has had me starting to feel a bit ill so I've ended up buying a 4 in 8 Coasts and Peaks Rover for £48, deciding to have a few evenings out while flatmates get absolutely hammered (I did 3 nights in a row so I think I'm allowed a break)

And to prove I'm not doing tiny trips each night, first adventure is North Wales shacks this evening and the 67 workings!

15:11 to 00:44, so a decent length trip ahead!

Edit- well a 175 has just rocked up instead so hopefully Gerald won't produce a unit too...

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Coasts and Peaks Rover- Day 1

Well, Freshers Week was simmering along nicely for the most part, with me somehow ending up on stage at the big ‘Icebreaker’ event that takes place in a fair few university cities, but then, the drink was starting to get a bit tiring, and by the time I woke up on Tuesday morning feeling like something the cat dragged in, I opted for a quieter night in with some people off my course before deciding on a whim to get a Coasts and Peaks Rover for £48. I came to this decision after deciding i’d probably do a Cheshire Ranger and a Derbyshire Wayfarer, realised that they’d set me back about £35-40 alone, and realised I may as well, for the sake of £12 a day, do something more substantial and flexible. At around 1430 Wednesday, I rocked up to Netherthorpe Road Tram stop, my new local shack, and joined 116 along to the station, before purchasing my Rover and joining the 1511 to Manchester Airport, with 185136 for the run along the Hope Valley, a line I hadn’t done in a good few years, and my is it pretty, i’ve no issue with this being one of my new local lines! Though, there’s a phone signal blackspot from Edale to Chinley, which is a tad irritating compared to the pretty consistent 4G down the ECML.

Arrival was at around 1550, and my attention turned to the ex London service arriving across the platform. Winner 390132 would do very nicely indeed, and it was taken for the hop to Piccadilly, amusingly overtaking my 185 en route. Dinner was then sourced before dud 350402 was taken to Oxford Road to kill some time before my gen from the forum paid off as winner 142051 trailing dud 156466 was taken to Deansgate. 1 Northern 142 and 2 142s overall to go! Dud 156468 was then taken back over to Oxford Road followed by duds 156421/156475 into Piccadilly. Next up was a wonderful 67 move, something that would be most welcome for the long journey into North Wales, and with nothing on JourneyCheck, I was optimistic. Then dud 175113 rocked up. What the hell is this? Where’s my lovely MK3 carriage with sockets? We left Oxford Road full and standing, but I decided that I still had one more chance at a 67 so i’d remain positive. It was a nice enough journey all the way through to shack 1, Prestatyn (yes, this is a day trip and i’ve just joined the 1650 to Prestatyn) where i had around 20 minutes before my next service so I had a quick scout of the area before winner 221117 was taken along to shack 2, Rhyl.

The run of bad luck with Arriva continued as dud 175002 was taken to shack 3, Colwyn Bay, where I had a wander to the seafront and watched the sun go down before dud 175001 was taken to shack 4, Flint. Danger music was playing here as the 67 was getting later and later, throwing my connection at Rhyl into jeopardy. That said, I was just happy when winner 67015 eventually came in, and in the end I did miss the 158 over to Chester, and resigned myself to a wait for the 221 (meaning that I was banking on a +1 connection) Dud 221117 eventually turned up on time (more or less) but lost 30 seconds en route into Chester, though thankfully I managed to dart across the platform and down to winner 507004 for the journey through the even more dull than usual Wirral suburbs as far as shack 5, Birkenhead Hamilton Square, which i’d never visited for some reason. Oh well, another one in the book! Winner 507027 was then soon filing in behind for Lime Street, arriving about 2220 in order for me to join 185119 to Manchester Piccadilly. It was a pretty busy run, surprising considering that the train doesn’t get to York until about 0115! Arrival at Manchester was at 2309, and I ended up having a late night snack there before joining the 2353 to Sheffield with 185146 in charge, diverted to run direct with a 0046 arrival rather than 0125 making it slightly more palatable. It was reasonably well loaded and it was certainly odd running through Stockport non-stop also, though we had a clear run all the way, arriving early at 0040 and meaning I could get myself in bed for about 0125 having tackled the half hour stroll home.

Decent first day, bit short but at £12 I covered some decent ground!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I must confess I had never paid much heed to this ticket before but a quick look at its validity plus your report has got me fancying one, most likely next year however as time and funds for bashing are limmited to the point of imaciation just now.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good stuff. Looking forward to reading the rest Rg.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Like Lord BT of Edinburgh, I've never really considered doing one of these, but now all of a sudden I do. An excellent first part to the trip, including stuff I've never done like Prestatyn. It appears we're all after stuff in Wales this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.