• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Another cracking read there Richard. Bloody long day, all the bustitutions would've driven me bonkers and I'd have easily got lost.
Even if the 175 was a winner, a little consolation, I'd have still cried when one turned.up instead of the skip.
Really shocked the TPE 350s haven't fell for you, with your red pens all over your book, I thought they d have fell yonks ago. Still there's plenty time with them, they're not gonna go in a hurry really are they.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
By gum that was a long but clearly very good day! You must be well pleased at the results, I would be!

Bizarrely it didn't catch up with me until Friday morning where that 08:20 alarm for a 09:00 lecture turned into my eyes opening at 09:09 in horror :lol: Very pleased though, except with that bloody 67 eluding me!

That was some day. Quite eventful and nice to see a cardigan wearing guard too...

Pretty exhausting but indeed, odd to see the casual wear as some of the drafted in staff were in their best suits!

Another cracking read there Richard. Bloody long day, all the bustitutions would've driven me bonkers and I'd have easily got lost.
Even if the 175 was a winner, a little consolation, I'd have still cried when one turned.up instead of the skip.
Really shocked the TPE 350s haven't fell for you, with your red pens all over your book, I thought they d have fell yonks ago. Still there's plenty time with them, they're not gonna go in a hurry really are they.

Google Maps kept me on track and I don't mind a good bus move if it's scenic and the vehicle is comfortable enough.

Indeed the 67 not showing up hacked me off a bit as that's the 2nd time it's happened. Though last time, the git was replaced by a 2 car 175 and I was going all the way from Manchester to Prestatyn!

I've done plenty TPE 350 moves but they seem to be falling at the rate of around 1 per year (I'm sure the last one I scored was 350410 and that was 2016!) for some reason. Only had 401-2, 404, 407, 409 and 410.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You need to go and actually hunt the infernal things down, before we happily take them off the North and use them better in the Midlands, which is what I did yonks ago. Couldn't possibly have been because they were my last two in the class to get mind...The 67 failing to produce would have annoyed me too, but I like 175s so it wouldn't have been too bad. Mind you, when I went on Cardiff on Friday I specially arranged our travel (yes I had company!) to have the 67 to Newport, where I also arranged a short fester for 800s which just had to be done. I've even had my first dud 800 already!

Ouch to missing that lecture though! For cripes sake don't do what I did and put trains first!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Don't panic, i don't intend on it. Thankfully it was a shorthand lecture which I have every single day so I was able to just get up, kick myself and do the work in my room.

Most people are putting drinking first though, I think they've more to worry about :lol:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good few trips but it must have been a shame with a 175 appearing instead of the shovel. I would also have got lost with all those buses so nicely done at managing them.

Kite: The carriage washer incident was at Canton and was because someone left the cab doors of 67014 open as it went through the washer, damaging the electronics. I'm not sure at what was wrong with the Manchester set that day but it was a separate incident.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a good trip to Manchester, except for the lack of a 67.
I have a nickname for buses - peasant wagons. I will only use them if it's absolutely necessary

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What charm there, some of us rely on buses to go to/from work...Cactus, please think more considerately before such an unfair term like 'peasant wagon' in the future!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have a nickname for buses - peasant wagons. I will only use them if it's absolutely necessary
Love it. I think that it's pretty clear what I think of buses and the majority seem run down (except the brand new ones and National Express West Midlands new ones where much of the last 3 digits are 47 numbers).

Nothing against people who travel on buses though.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well the majority of my bus journeys have been on late & clapped out E200s with urban 90 seats.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I must admit that the buses down Sheffield are pretty wrecked (even the Enviro 400s) so it's always a relief to be back in Newcastle with my leather seated Mercedes Citaros on my local route!

Benelux pass is also a go-go now...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Love it. I think that it's pretty clear what I think of buses and the majority seem run down (except the brand new ones and National Express West Midlands new ones where much of the last 3 digits are 47 numbers).

Nothing against people who travel on buses though.

You can't say you love the term peasant wagon and then say nothing against people who uses buses. That would like me making a derogatory comment about canal boats then saying I have nothing against those who use them or live on a boat!

Clearly your experience of buses is limited and a lot of places have decent buses!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm basing that on the buses I've been on - most are overpriced and have the same level of comfort as a Northern 150/1. I hate buses but I still use them occasionally - it's the same with some types of train even though I have derogatory nicknames for them. Needs must for travel on sub-standard stuff occasionally but it doesn't mean that those who have to travel on them are any worse than others; indeed most of them are excellent people.

87electric

Sounds like a good trip to Manchester, except for the lack of a 67.
I deplore bus travel myself. An endurance test of people and discomfort. Only my opinion.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Now for a little update on how 2018 is going to pan out- as 2017s bashing is essentially finished for the year (though on the way back from PVRIS on Thursday night I managed to make 43050 fall, another EMT HST in the book!)

02/01/18- Newcastle-York-Manchester (arr. 16:09), probably time for an evening bash of a few remaining shacks, then overnight in a £9.99 EasyHotel! (The sale is still on by the way)
03/01/18- Manchester-Cologne (via Ryanair) then around 6 or so hours to do some local bashing (again! :lol: ) before joining the 17:28 ICE to Arnhem, onwards to Utrecht, Rotterdam and finally Rotterdam Brainpark
04/01/18- NS Bashing all day, ending in either Amsterdam or Den Haag
05/01/18- NS/Belgian bashing, unsure which as yet and where i'm ending
06/01/18- Belgian bashing most of the day until around 18:30, then the 19:52 Eurostar to St Pancras and hitting the hay in EasyHotel Croydon
07/01/18- Trundle home.

09/01/18- Ryanair from Manchester to Berlin then I have three days to do whatever with, not sure as yet. Probably an Ibis Budget jobby staying fairly central.

And a new one...

08/04/18- Ryanair from London Stansted to Basel, followed by three days bashing in Switzerland courtesy of reasonably priced EasyHotels in Zurich and Basel. On the hitlist are Basel, Bern, Zurich and Lucerne as they're all in a decent little clump.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that's quite a significant amount of Euro cranking! :D By that reaction you've probably guessed I'm well into going to Europe these days. Confirmed this on Friday, details to come in my own trip report thread later. Safe to say I was glad to have the group chat on Messenger and free WiFi, otherwise I'd have gone crazy on the way back to Hereford!

My 2017 bashing is over too, can't afford to go anywhere and things are scheduled to be changed soon anyway. Details to be announced soon, don't worry, in the trip report thread but not until it's all actually happening. It was meant to be next week, but now delayed heavily...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed, i've now booked up everything so I have a rough idea of what's happening roughly 4 weeks from now!

I've booked a 1st Class Interrail as it was an extra £40 (£129) for the 4 days, as it means I can use Standard Premier on Eurostar and First Class on Thalys/ICE (the latter being a mere hop from Arnhem to Utrecht but hey)

First night is in Rotterdam, then Amsterdam, then Leuven. Luxembourg has been dropped from the schedule as it's a bit of a faff to get to and I don't exactly have masses of time!

One point to note is that for reservations, Interrail's website is actually seemingly the worst due to the insane booking fees they charge. It was getting nigh on £50 for a Eurostar seat in Standard Premier. SNCF happily sell at the base rate with no fees (£33.50).

I'm not 100% sure on routes yet but I suspect that on day 2 will be concentrated around Amsterdam, The Hague and Utrecht before I catch the 0717 Thalys to Antwerp and visit Liege, Maastricht and Leuven before probably heading to Ghent on day 4 (perhaps up and over to the famous Kusttram route afterwards) and subsequently Brussels for the Eurostar.

The compromise is that i'm using Megabus from London to Newcastle on the Sunday morning (a mere £7.05).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Better to do Megabus during the day when in some sort of awakeness than overnight when all you want to do is sleep! I speak from experience, and I've vowed to only use coaches during the day and only then if reasonably priced.

It's worth noting to everyone else that if you're under 26 you get Youth fares on InterRail, so for the rest of us the difference in fares would be quite significantly different to what rg177 is paying.

Sounds like an incredibly good time though, a shame you're missing out on Luxembourg as the run from Liege is quite nice. The CFL 3000s are hellfire too, but it can always be done again sometime! I'm rather looking forward to my visit to Alicante next month, it feels like forever since I went Euro bashing even though it was only in October!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Better to do Megabus during the day when in some sort of awakeness than overnight when all you want to do is sleep! I speak from experience, and I've vowed to only use coaches during the day and only then if reasonably priced.

It's worth noting to everyone else that if you're under 26 you get Youth fares on InterRail, so for the rest of us the difference in fares would be quite significantly different to what rg177 is paying.

Sounds like an incredibly good time though, a shame you're missing out on Luxembourg as the run from Liege is quite nice. The CFL 3000s are hellfire too, but it can always be done again sometime! I'm rather looking forward to my visit to Alicante next month, it feels like forever since I went Euro bashing even though it was only in October!

I should also add that there's a 15% off sale on Interrail fares until the end of the year so the jump up to a normal priced adult fare is probably a fair whack.

I'm undecided on Luxembourg as yet to be honest, for some reason I'd just forgotten how far south it actually was!

Indeed on the coaches though it's the 08:00 departure so I'm going to still have a reasonably early start and will probably have a nap or two on the way back up.

Indeed I actually don't have any UK bashing plans at the minute, having blitzed most of the network in the past two years (with the exception of Heart of Wales and the scenic lines of Scotland ie West Highland, Kyle, Far North and Aberdeen to Inverness, plus a few other random bits) I think the sheer cost of UK bashing (even for a railcard holder, an All Liner is still more expensive than the equivalent Global Interrail) is putting me off for now!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm not surprised! I don't do UK bashing any more myself, and it's nice to know someone else who appreciates what the continent can offer!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like it’s been a good year RG.
I’m finding the stuff going on abroad ie Belgium etc interesting to read about. I’d really like to experience a bit of that.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
A finale to 2017- 16/12 to 17/12/17

The University term had come to an end, and all that was left was to head home, right?

Not quite.

A friend was having a gathering in London last Sunday, so thanks to £19 of Travelodge credit and GC allowing you to mash Railcard and NUS discounts together, I threw myself together a weekend in London for £39, and pondered what to do with the Saturday evening, still being unsure as I stepped out of my flat and had the usual walk to the station, sliding over and cracking my phone screen en route (thankfully just a cosmetic one) before I awaited the 11:11 to Cleethorpes, formed of 185120 for the run to Doncaster where I had a half hour wait because connections onto GC are absolutely terrible. I noted that the VTEC service in its vile hateful way was running late, so my train was held at Shaftholme Junction to let it groan past.

Side rant- I really don’t have any time for VTEC anymore, too many failed delay repay claims and run ins with some absolutely disgraceful staff, usually customer service and senior figures. The nail in the coffin for me was in August when I was delayed 75 minutes on a TPE service, ironically due to VTEC’s 1Y03 0445 NCL-KGX disgracing itself at Ferryhill, wildly missing my GC connection. VTEC station staff refused to help and said i’d have to wait three hours for the next service, so I got on the next VTEC anyway (sod delaying myself by about 4 hours!) and managed to seek out the guard before we’d even left York station, though he asked me to hang on until he’d done the doors. This caught the attention of two plain clothes/office looking type revenue people who told me i’d have to buy a new ticket at the full price. The guard turned around and said “oh back off, he’s literally been two services in front of us the entire time. Just sit down mate, you’ve been through enough already”. Along comes the two happy campers afterwards and they demand my ticket again (it’s been shoved in my wallet as I thought I was done with checks) but nooo, “I want to mark it!” snaps one of them at me. She then goes down the train and is asked by a passenger if he can travel via London King’s Cross to Cambridge as at the time, a freight train had derailed between Peterborough and Ely. Official advice was indeed to do exactly that. Her magical special advice was that he was to get off at Peterborough else she’d charge him a new ticket.

As soon as she wandered off, I showed him the official National Rail advice and told him he’d been fed absolute rubbish and to not pay anything else for his journey. And indeed, I now refuse to buy VTEC only or VTEC & Connections tickets if I can help it :lol:

Rant over, dud 180105 sped into Platform 1 a few minutes late, and I plonked myself in Coach B for a very quiet run to King’s Cross non-stop. We were hindered a little outside Newark waiting for the VTEC to speed up again, though I laughed a little as we did full pelt through Peterborough, overtaking the Virgin service that was meant to be in front of us, as we subsequently made up all of our time lost and arrived into King’s Cross at 13:43. I threw some money onto my Oyster before deciding what I wanted to do- play with some GWR services before everything changes drastically in the New Year! I hopped onto winners 21103/21104 to Baker Street before swapping onto winner 3265 trailing dud 3536 to Paddington. A quick trip into the ticket office to be served by a complete misery guts saw me with a Thames Branches Ranger in hand, promptly rejected by the gates (requiring more interaction with another pain in the rear, what is it with Paddington?!)

I joined duds 43078/43098 on the 1427 to Bristol, figuring that I wasn’t entirely bothered about winners and just wanted to rack up some good runs on Western Region HSTs out of Paddington before the chance disappears. These were taken to Reading, of course, where I joined the 1512 service back, another two duds this time being 43142/43193. I wondered where all of the winners had actually gone as I hadn’t noted a single one in either direction, apart from the 800s off to Swansea which i’d intercept later on! It was a very tight cross platform connection on the 1545 to Swansea once I got back to Paddington, bemusing the dispatcher as I opened the nearest door and slammed it shut behind me, only noting that it was dud 43196 on the front. This was a pretty lightly loaded train, and I was getting fairly hungry so I made a note to do a supply raid at Reading Boots once we arrived in there. I was happy to note on arrival that i’d finally struck lucky too, with winner 43017 being on the back.

Sandwiches and a wrap for £1 each were sourced at the small Boots on the bridge, where I decided to just wait until something I required rocked up. Bizarrely this time, the first set that rocked up was formed of winners 43031/43139, so I sat myself down in Coach B and devoured a very cheap sandwich for the umpteenth run back to Paddington (I used to say this was a bit of a boring use of a ranger, but when it’s cold and dark to be honest it’s probably also the best use of it) where I was monitoring the 1700 to Oxford, ready to dive onto it as we were late enough to make the +3 or +8 onto the two HSTs impossible. I noted an HST on the adjacent platform as we arrived however, and with winner 43164 on the front I wasn’t going to pass it up, so I dived on and slammed the door shut behind me as the dispatcher was blowing his whistles. What was I actually on board though? An announcement of “welcome to the 16:48 to Bristol Temple Meads” soon answered my question as we turned out to be the Bristol, running 5 late on departure for some reason.

Arrival into Reading was a little unwelcome as the rain was starting to fall, though the rear power car was IDed as winner 43141, keeping the lucky streak going. I did however decide that I had to give a newfangled IET a try, and paid £4 for a return to Didcot before sitting myself down in the waiting room for a half hour or so wait before winners 800012/800020 squealed into the platform and I found myself a table at the very front. Very confusing state of affairs here. RTT had us down at the Weston-super-Mare service, the guard said we were going to Bristol, and the PIS was happily announcing us as going to Taunton via Weston! The reality was that we were for Bristol only, and I spent some time trying to accustom myself to the seats. They’re alright, but still rock hard and absolutely not suitable for a Paddington to Penzance run! The trains themselves however are undoubtedly solid and I was impressed by them. They’ll be worthy replacements once the seats soften up a bit! Off I hopped at Didcot Parkway, joining duds 43010/43018 back to Reading where I decided to try for something better. Across the platform I went for winners 43176/43185, with 185 looking fantastic in Intercity Swallow livery! Bizarrely Coach A was empty so I made myself comfortable before readying myself to join what was designated as a fresh-off-the-depot 800 pair.

As I headed back through the barriers (and somehow had another argument as the attendant put his hands on me and said “Where do you think YOU’RE going?” as I walked through a gate I thought he’d opened to let me through), the sight of duds 43025/43151 was a bit of a letdown and a blessing. A blessing as it made the most of HST workings, a letdown as they were damn dud! Through to Reading once again, before I jumped off and figured I had time for a filler move before the IET from Swansea. I had a choice of two services to Reading West, both duds 165108 or 165126, so I chose 126 in its original FGW guise for a shorter wait at West. All was going smoothly, but then departure time from Reading West came around and along came the late running ex-Penzance instead! I only had a +6 at Reading! I started muttering expletives to myself as the headlights appeared 4 late, though the silver lining was that it was winner 166204 and I was left with 90 seconds to absolutely pelt it across the station, making it onto winners 800015/800018 as they prepared to leave.

It was completely empty this time so I had a proper look around the train and was almost ready to go “oh it’s falling apart already!” as the vestibule door at the back was constantly banging open and shut, before I saw someone had stuck a coke bottle in its way :lol: The toilet looked all spick and span too, and I started to warm to the firmness of the seats before we arrived into Paddington and I saw that I had the option of an absolutely rammed 165130 on the Worcester (2 carriages, really?!) or to just get the Cardiff for one last HST run. Obviously I took the latter option and joined duds 43009/43168 to Reading one last time. I now needed to head back to Hounslow-ish so I was left with the unusual option of catching an Oxford to Maidenhead 165 for a 387 onwards (really useful as a pile of these were cancelled earlier, leaving Reading to Twyford and Maidenhead with next to no service, the biggest gap being 2001 to this service at 2241!) Dud 165107 was in charge for my likely last ever run on a Turbo down the GWML to Maidenhead as 387s are set to take over these from January 2nd (unless I end up getting on a Bedwyn sometime soon), arriving in at 2255 and ready for me to join dud 387148 and winner 387154 to Hayes and Harlington.

It seemed busier than usual, and I soon found out why as the 2242 had been cancelled so this 2303 was the first service for a good while! My original plan saw me try to snag a few more 387s and finish on the 0030 to Twyford, though that was a bullet dodged at the 0030 was caped too! Arrival was at 2328, and I swiftly made my way upstairs for an early running H98 to Cranford, into Travelodge Heathrow Central for a shower and lie down before I headed to bed.

---

I didn’t get up until around 09:05 the next day, simply because I didn’t want to fork out for a Travelcard for the sake of a couple hours bashing so I just stuck to my Oyster credit. I left the hotel at around 09:40 and walked the mile or so to Hounslow West station (this is a terrible hotel for tube and rail connections nearby!), joining winners 167/230 to Hammersmith where I intended to have a supply raid for the day, but the Sainsbury’s turned out to be a bigger one not open until 11, and the Tesco was a similar story. Oh well, onto winners 223/870 it was then to Russell Square.

Fast forward to 18:45 and I weaved my way out of Spoons next to Holborn station and onto winners 157/878 to Russell Square, dropping back onto winner 177 leading dud 206 to Kings Cross where I figured I had 10 minutes spare. As a result, it was onto winners 11025/11026 to Euston and a dash across the platform onto winners 51581/51713 back over. I waited up on the concourse for my delayed for some reason 19:22 to Bradford to be announced (don’t understand why to be honest, it arrived on time and there was no other disruption) but it was winner 180101 so I wasn’t too fussed as we left 7L and seemed to fly all the way to Doncaster, to the extent that we arrived on time at 20:59 and I had a feasible +2 onto the Northern stopper back to Sheffield due to it being slightly late (waiting until 21:42 otherwise) and I asked the guard if she could sell me a single with railcard discount before boarding 158910. She obliged and also accidentally sold me the cheaper TPE only ticket! Oh well, an extra 85p in my pocket then :lol: Arrival was at 21:37, and I returned to my now empty flat, being the last one to head home for Christmas the next day after signing for a house for next year.

Decent end to the year’s bashing!

Total winners- 28

Cletus

Established Member
Did the same £4 800's (only counted 1) to Didcot and 43's back to Reading myself Saturday :smile:

cactustwirly

Established Member
When I did my TV day ranger in September, my ticket didn't work at the barriers either.

Sounds like a good day on the GWML and London.

I'm still looking for my house next year

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Cheers for all of your comments, and indeed all of your comments and support this year!

A very Merry Christmas to you all.

87electric

Your reports are always a good read. I'm always interested in reading TOC's grippers attitudes towards travellers. I know there are caring staff out there but I also feel some employees do like the power they wield too much which is no help to anyone. We pay for a service right?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Your reports are always a good read. I'm always interested in reading TOC's grippers attitudes towards travellers. I know there are caring staff out there but I also feel some employees do like the power they wield too much which is no help to anyone. We pay for a service right?

Indeed- some are horrific but I've had some wonderful encounters with members of staff.

Best this year was when I photted a 313 coming into somewhere like Emsworth, and the guard noticed me and invited me into the back cab, pointing out that the sun was nice and low on the track and it looked really nice. In the end, he invited me to sit there all the way to Chichester where I bailed. We had quite the conversation about the job of a guard, and he was saying that he was feeling a bit put out as he'd been given a broken machine for the day so there wasn't any real point in him walking through the train.

Ended up bailing at Chichester, and lone behold when I see a 313 appear at Angmering about 40 minutes later, it's him again. No questions asked, he ushers me through the back cab door and we resume our conversation. Three stops down the line, he shuts the doors and a bloke comes barrelling down the ramp. No worries again, he's invited in through the back cab. "Don't panic mate, i'm not going until you're on" he comments to the gasping fella.

I ended up bailing at West Worthing having been given directions on how to run to Worthing in time for the next service. Handshake duly exchanged and I disappear off into the fading light.

Can't get much better than that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was an interesting tale about VTEC and indeed in general! Quite agreed on not giving VTEC any money unless mandatory though I don't have to use them thankfully. Glad you like the 800s as well, they're a bit firm yet but give them time and they'll be fine :)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I’m doing a Thames Branches rover next Saturday to try and get some HSTs, and maybe an 800 if I come across one, so the GWR bit was an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.