• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richmond (London) to Gatwick Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgsh2011

I am travelling from Richmond (London) to Gatwick Airport today at about 12:00 and returning Sunday (17th) at about 14:00. I have a 16-25 R/C. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a decent fare. Seems only Anytime singles/returns exist now. Can I get an over distance return to anywhere nearby?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjohnson

Single not via London is £8.10 with railcard; splitting at East Croydon would get you down to £6.15 (£2.40 RMD-ECR, £3.75 ECR-GTW). I think all Gatwick-bound trains from Clapham call at East Croydon.

If you've got an Oyster with the 16-25 railcard discount loaded on it, and have the time/inclination to touch out at East Croydon (might not be practical with luggage) that brings the first leg down to £1.40.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you use First Capital Connect only between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport, then this option will be useful.

2 x Anytime Day Singles Richmond to East Croydon Not via LONDON £4.80 (£2.40 each way).
Anytime Return, valid for 1 month East Croydon to Gatwick Airport FCC only £6.60

total cost : £11.40

pkkelly

If you use First Capital Connect only between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport, then this option will be useful.

2 x Anytime Day Singles Richmond to East Croydon Not via LONDON £4.80 (£2.40 each way).
Anytime Return, valid for 1 month East Croydon to Gatwick Airport FCC only £6.60

total cost : £11.40

Except that since the May fares change this FCC only fare (£10 Anytime return without railcard) has become meaningless as the "ANY PERMITTED" fare is £9.80 Anytime Return (and Anytime Single is £4.90).

Hence the £3.75 East Croydon to Gatwick (with railcard) referred to further up is also out of date - it is now £3.25.

So I think someone can travel between Gatwick and Richmond off-peak with railcard (if railcard also loaded on Oyster) for £4.65, ie £1.40 on Oystercard and £3.25 on paper ticket. Seems like very good value to me.

tannedfrog

Except that since the May fares change this FCC only fare (£10 Anytime return without railcard) has become meaningless as the "ANY PERMITTED" fare is £9.80 Anytime Return (and Anytime Single is £4.90).

Hence the £3.75 East Croydon to Gatwick (with railcard) referred to further up is also out of date - it is now £3.25.
I seem to remember that this is cheaper than it was one year ago for this route - there used to only be an "any permitted" single of about £3.50 with Railcard

pkkelly

I seem to remember that this is cheaper than it was one year ago for this route - there used to only be an "any permitted" single of about £3.50 with Railcard

Correct. There have been strange goings on with fares for this journey.

From January 2010 until January 2011, the "Any Permitted" was £4.75 with railcard, and the "FCC only" was £3.65 (sensibly it was the cheaper fare). This was a slight increase on the fares for the previous year.

In January 2011 the "Any Permitted" came down sharply to £3.50 with railcard. There was a more expensive (and hence daft) "FCC only" fare of £3.95.

In January 2012, the "Any Permitted" went from £3.50 to £3.75 and the "FCC only" went down to £3.30. So there was a saving to be had with "FCC only".

In May 2012, the "Any Permitted" went down to £3.25 and the "FCC only" stayed unchanged at £3.30 so it became daft again.

(These railcard fare changes are just reflecting changes in the full price fares, of course.)

But let's not complain too much as passengers are getting Gatwick to/from East Croydon "Any Permitted" journeys for less than was possible on any ticket three years ago.

johnnycache

I work for Southern...

This is just the result of a dog fight between FCC and Southern (who decide the inter-available fare). It won't happen when the franchises are merged!

Oscar

Fares Advisor
WebTIS also offers a £9.80 / £6.45 Railcard Any Permitted Anytime Return (SOR) between Croydon Stations and Gatwick Airport. This is cheaper than the £10.00 / £6.60 Railcard FCC Only Anytime Return (SOR).

Status
Not open for further replies.