• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richwell Network (Stage 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I have released my BRAND NEW Richwell Network (Stage 1 ONLY) for BVE2 & BVE4.
The route consists of smooth curves, accurate paintwork, and accurate BR signals and AWS which I coded in recently after discovering how they worked!

The route is based in early 2004, when Virgin HSTs were still running. You will depart from Richwell Central Terminus, making your way to King Edwards via Great William Park and Brentwood, then take you train to Aston Town, past Aston Depot and into Aston Market where your train will terminate. Stage 2 will consist of the same, only a continuation of the line through Aston market to Naughton Airport and it's Depot via Fairfield Road.

The main bulk of the objects were borrowed from Chris Hynds' Ramsbury Route, so a huge thanks to him! The rest of the objects (mainly trains and track objects were by a selection of authors, all of who are mentioned in the ReadMe - thanks to them! :D :D

OK, in light of recent BVE4 train releases, I have adapted the original plans and have included three routefiles in Stage 1, using the Class 170, 158 and the excellent NEW Class 66! (All these trains are available at www.trainsimcentral.co.uk)

I leave the rest for you to discover!

To download, visit my site, and click 'Routes', then 'Richwell Network'!

Thanks, and enjoy!
:D
PS: Thanks to Jordy and Harold for BETA testing - excellent work!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Very nice! But 13Mb? :shock:

EDIT: Very nice, i like it! although i did notice somethings:
Green signals give me an AWS waring sound,
Some transparency issues,
and they are very short station waiting times!

Otherwise i like it a lot! How did you make the announcements?

TAS

Good but no timetable in BVE4-that could do with fixing.

T

Tom

dvn1357 said:
Very nice! But 13Mb? :shock:

EDIT: Very nice, i like it! although i did notice somethings:
Green signals give me an AWS waring sound,
Some transparency issues,
and they are very short station waiting times!

Otherwise i like it a lot! How did you make the announcements?

I must admit that I have a few criticisms to make with the route but Richard normally takes what I have to say in a bad way so I better not...

Coxster

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
I must admit that I have a few criticisms to make with the route but Richard normally takes what I have to say in a bad way so I better not...
If richard doesn't like constructive critisism then why's he making routes etc? :D

Dave A

Right, I'm gonna be brutally honest as I actually think you've got a great route here, as soon as you fix the problems :) <D

Firstly, seeing as this is marked as "stage 1", may I suggest that you fix these problems before moving on to "stage 2"!?

2) Its extracted size is 100MB :shock: Not even Birmingham X City is that much and its a lot more detailed and bigger than yours!! Looking in the folders, this seems to be caused by sounds that are blank or not used and the fact that they average out to around 3MB each, which is way too big!!

3) The AWS/TPWS is basically rubbish. Its not working AT ALL, so I suggest fixing it (preferred), or removing it!

4) Crossovers usually have a speed of 25mph, not 70mph! :shock: I crossed over 3 times, I think it was, at well above 25mph!

5) When arriving at a terminus, trains do usually slow down, so I suggest putting a limit of 10 or 25mph, just before reaching the platforms.

6) You have a few object problems along the line, including transparency problems and 1 or 2 floating ones.

7) A few very strange looking tracks that make the trains look like the can do a complete 90 degree turn, instead of a gradual curve!

8 ) Signals are to close together.

Finally, listen to your beta testers :P <D

Llike I said, this is a great route with great potential, and there is a significant improvement compared to your old work, but don't rush it, and make sure the above problems are fixed before you release the patch! <( <D ;) :)

Pretty much a suprise to me. Not having really tried the route 100% yet i would say it is nicely put together scenery wise from the start at least anyway.

Although i am fuming at the fact despite being the person who attempted to announce transpennie express correctly, i am not even offered to beta test the route!

" Roll the boat now, Train drivers say. I am the sexiest announcer in BVE! Laughs "

Jordy

Established Member
David(LondonTube) said:
Finally, listen to your beta testers

I'm afraid I must agree there, although this is a nice route, I did say that the crossover speeds, AWS and a few other things needed sorting before the release, still - that'll be stage two eh ;)

Jordy

The Snap

Established Member
Thanks for all your comments guys, OK, here is my response:

1.) I will sort the signals, and might remove the AWS if I can't get it fixed.

2.) I do listen to my BETA testers, and I wasn't advised to change all the crossover, but Jordy and Harold still did an excellent job!

3.) All bugs I will fix tonight (if I can), and will release it again tommorrow, or later this week!

And finally, George, sorry about that! I shall send you the Stage 2 for deffinate nearer the release date!

Thanks again!

PS: Can you post these object problems: ie, floating objects???? :? :?: :!: :)

Jordy

Established Member
Rich said:
I do listen to my BETA testers, and I wasn't advised to change all the crossover

Honestly, I did tell you about that crossover - can't you remember the derailing screenies? ;)

Jordy

T

Tom

OK... seeing as Rich took those fine...here goes:
  1. The stopping time is far too short
  2. Where you diverge from the straight ahead route into that tunnel (the 158?)... all you see is brown wall, not the rest of the track.
  3. The 158s are a bit iffy on the light clusters - do a photorealistic.
  4. The major stations look the same IMO
  5. Speed limits are a major issue
  6. AWS / TPWS doesn't work
  7. On the last station, the doors have a habit of opening, closing, opening, closing.
  8. The S car stop signs are too big! No way would you get them that big normally, I believe they are 25cm x 25cm normally.

Coxster

Established Member
With a bit of help and listening to critisism, you really could go a long way Richard. This route is a great start but certain things do let it down. Some mistakes aren't that bad though such as the ground objects have accidently made a nice, even cess path :lol: I really hope you will take on board what has been said above.

Harold said:
Don't start trouble Coxster! As soon as Rich reads your post, I'm sure he will take it offensive!
I'm sorry but no-one should say something is perfect when it's not. It's called constructive critisism, in the hope to help Richard in making good routes as I'm sure (judging by this one) it could be done. I'm guessing you didn't want to speak up when you saw errors when you were testing, through fear of being told to 'eff off'.

GreaterGlasgowBve said:
... I am the sexiest...
Whatever you say, George! ;)

The Snap

Established Member
Right, OK guys, all your comments have been taken on board, and I think the main prlems are AWS and speed limits.
I have decided to remove the AWS temporarily, and I will put it in Stage 2 instead. I will also recify speed limts (however, I'll need some help from you guys), and will relase a newer version later this week (say, v1.5) :D

devon_metro

Established Member
I also think you should make the sounds smaller as in totral they add up to 83.6Mb of the extracted download! Also on the 66 route could there not be warning of the siding, so when branching off the mainline the train would have flipped over, Screenshot of me plouging through tstaion on request :lol:
On a positive note some of the AWS works on the 66 route!

Harold

Coxster said:
Harold said:
Don't start trouble Coxster! As soon as Rich reads your post, I'm sure he will take it offensive!
I'm guessing you didn't want to speak up when you saw errors when you were testing, through fear of being told to 'eff off'.

ok................ :?

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
I will sort out something to warn you of that siding! ;) Also, I'll try and compress the sounds, otherwise I'm affraid I'll have to remove them - sorry George, but thanks a lot anyway! :D

Ben

Well im not even going to try the Route as it sounds like the Author cannot take Constructive Critism

Met Driver

Established Member
158 said:
Well im not even going to try the Route as it sounds like the Author cannot take Constructive Critism

I think that's very harsh Ben. Rich has made every effort to take people's comments on board on this occassion. I suggest you read through the thread thoroughly and then consider making an apology.

Tom B

Established Member
Woaaaah!

I've not driven the route myself because I have no time - BUT if there are problems it seems Richard is taking comments on board. If you have comments it is usually good to post them, but politely - otherwise there will be no chance for the route to improve.

Coxster

Established Member
Agreed. It was on his first projects when he was new that the problems occured. Like all of us, he has learnt from his mistakes and certainly took me by surprise when I drove this route - despite it having some errors. I really do think Rich has great potential!

devon_metro

Established Member
158 said:

Bit harsh, Never judge a book by its cover. You never know you might enjoy the route! I know i did!

Tom B

Established Member
If you want a self depracating example, see the Picc.

bloogrape

i like the route! bottom line is its playable. i do agree that maybe the curves seem little to sharp and there is a hill just after the first station using the 170 that would make me worried of derailment. however...
i couldnt do anybetter in BVE as i have no idea how to make routes for it.
thumbs up, keep the good work up!

(i am making a MSTS route from Reading to Newbury!)

T

Tom

Aaah! So that's who you are! Thought I recognised the name!!

The Snap

Established Member
158 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, however, I think if you read through my posts in reply to the guys' comments, you'll find I am doing something about it!
Infact, I have sorted the speed limits and as I said earlier, AWS has been temporarily removed until Stage 2 when I hope to get the han of it! ;) Please reconsider! :D Thanks for your support, BTW, guys!

Coxster

Established Member
Rich said:
AWS has been temporarily removed until Stage 2 when I hope to get the han of it!
Try the forum over at Train-Sim.com. That's where a lot of the big names hang out so could help you fairly quickly.

bloogrape

tubechallenger said:

You recognise me huh... guees you looked into the route :lol: ? if your interested il post progress in this forum also? so far its going good

Coxster

Established Member
bloogrape said:
tubechallenger said:

You recognise me huh... guees you looked into the route :lol: ? if your interested il post progress in this forum also? so far its going good

Most certainly! Our MSTS section isn't the 'most busiest'. Your poll on UKTS came out in my favour :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.