• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rickmansworth to Brighton departing after 0930 17/02/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

Considering a day trip to Brighton on Friday I have a senior rail card, am I correct in thinking a paper one day zones I-9 travel card rather than using an Oyster card with a discount loaded and a boundary zone 6 day return is the best option? Can a boundary ticket be ordered online so I can collect from a TVM?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Considering a day trip to Brighton on Friday I have a senior rail card, am I correct in thinking a paper one day zones I-9 travel card rather than using an Oyster card with a discount loaded and a boundary zone 6 day return is the best option?
How is the best option defined, and how does one go about determining it? ;)

Rickmansworth to London Zones 1-6 (AAA: Zones 7-9) is £8.60 with Senior Railcard discount.

Boundary Zone 6 to Brighton is £13.15 with discount.

You can use any train, including the lightly loaded services which the company brands "Express" (but, despite the name, are 1 minute slower than their "Southern" branded trains from Brighton to Victoria), which at off-peak times you can generally get a carriage to yourself (but at peak times are uncomfortably wedged).

If you prefer to use Oyster, it's £3.55 each way (if you can travel off peak both ways, and ignoring the slow option of changing at Northwick Park, Kenton, Willesden Jn & Clapham Jn, which I doubt is the "best" option by any definition) between Rickmansworth & East Croydon, but then you have to go to the gateline and tap out to continue on a paper fare.

The lowest priced paper fare from East Croydon to Brighton is a "Thameslink Only" Off Peak Day Return at £10.10. According to the terms of the Ticketing Settlement Agreement, this is valid on the train company of that name, but in the event of a ticket check on one of the trains operated by Govia Thameslink which is branded "Southern", the on-board staff might disagree and attempt to charge you more money.

For £13.15 you can get an "Any Permitted" fare which Govia Thameslink staff won't falsely claim is not valid on all trains they operate.
Can a boundary ticket be ordered online so I can collect from a TVM?
No. You can purchase one at almost any GTR operated TVM though, using the alternative origins option.

paul1609

Established Member
A Cheap Day Return from Rickmansworth Und to Brighton Route + Any Permitted with a Seniors railcard is £21.60
According to the evil Govias multi franchised websites its available on the 09.35 chiltern service to Marylebone and then your choice of routes across London..
Id splash out on the Brighton Area Plusbus for an extra £2.40 which will take you down to the seafront or anywhere along the coast from Steyning to Seaford by bus.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
If the OP has a senior railcard, he/she presumably also has a national bus pass, which removes the need for a plus-bus ticket.

urbophile

Established Member
I forgot that. I think some authorities issue passes to 60 year olds but of course they only have local validity.

njr001

I'll reluctantly admit to being the holder of Bus Pass! :(I've opted for a cheap day return from Ricky as partner travelling into London today and can collect ticket, if only LU POM's could issue tickets ordered online.

paul1609

Established Member
I'll reluctantly admit to being the holder of Bus Pass! :(I've opted for a cheap day return from Ricky as partner travelling into London today and can collect ticket, if only LU POM's could issue tickets ordered online.

Interesting I hadn't realised that Rickmansworth didn't have a ticket office. Can the LU machines not sell tickets to National Rail stations in the Southeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.