• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RIDE A LEGEND

Do you want the flying scotsman to be painted into BR green again

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno2055

Anyone been on the flying scotsman scarborough special yet? Its brill got up to 95mph when i went, leaning out of the window. Free admission to the NRM aswell good day out especially after a four hour drive to get up their!! :lol: :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
Anyone been on the flying scotsman scarborough special yet? Its brill got up to 95mph when i went, leaning out of the window. Free admission to the NRM aswell good day out especially after a four hour drive to get up their!! :lol: :lol:

I think it's a bit daft for a rail enthusiast to drive all that way to travel on a train. Why not take the train? :?

Nick

4472 isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I'm not sure why people like it so much. Gresley's A4's or the LNER B1's are far more better for the jobs imho. For example, 4472 is air braked, when the standard system used Vaccum braking (well on MK1 anyhoo).

So why do people like The Flying Jock?
I prefer Butler-Henderson (GCR D11 'Improved Director' @ Barrow atm)

Jonno2055

Well i went with a friend so they went by car, i wanted to goby train but apparently gner service to york are expensive

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
Well i went with a friend so they went by car, i wanted to goby train but apparently gner service to york are expensive
Is £19 return really that expensive?

The car will cost a lot. Wear and tear, fuel, etc.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
LNER A3 Pacific No. 4472 'Flying Scotsman' is only permitted up to 60mph, like all Steam Locomotives IIRC.

And I didnt think the Scarborough Line was permitted at anything above 90mph.

Jonno2055

I have been lied to, i was told it would cost 400 pounds for a family of four, is that price for apex?
I was told it reached 95mph by one of the staff, if it did then it broke the speed limit!!

T

Tom

...lol.

No, GNER, London to York - £19 rtn APEX 1 person.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
I have been lied to, i was told it would cost 400 pounds for a family of four, is that price for apex?
Please clarify: how many adults/children? That's definitely not an Apex. Where are you travelling from?

Depending on the numbers, that could well be the Standard Open Return price (ie. full peak fare)!

Jonno2055

Yes but their are limitations which restrict travel. You have to get on that service otherwise if you miss it you have to pay out again. I'm not sure i want to travel on GNER after what has been happening with air conditioning and brokenm down trains.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonno2055 said:
Yes but their are limitations which restrict travel. You have to get on that service otherwise if you miss it you have to pay out again. I'm not sure i want to travel on GNER after what has been happening with air conditioning and brokenm down trains.
Are you serious? :shock: :roll:

1. GNER have said they've learnt from that.
2. That was a one-off, out of thousands of journeys.
3. If you are still not assured by the above, get an HST then you can guarantee openable windows.

Jonno2055

yeh, i would travel on gner really. I just cant remember the last time i did. Prices have gone up alot though apparently. Hopefully i will be going on one next year to go on holiday to scarborough, nice seaside resort.

T

Tom

Jonno2055, APEX fares are considerably cheap unless its on a route which fares don't really change on. ;)

Jonno2055

Well with that in hand, i wuld still like to have no restrictions on my fares. Im going to cornwall next week, so im going first calss with my family, its costing us 210 pounds for weekend firts. In the past few years prices for weekend first upgrades have gone from 5 pounds to 10 pounds, but on a five hour journey, in first you get air con lights pillow curtains and more leg room it is worth it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think he means he wants a walk-up fare. But for off-peak travel a Saver will do the trick.

if you phone up NRES and ask for the price of 4 people to York on a fully unrestricted ticket, then you're going to be quoted the full fare that only business people pay!

Jonno2055

Ahh i see that is exactly what my friend did, but he went through colchester signal box when he visited for a day.

Jonno2055

I have had an idea, what if we have a special area where we upload photographs of the stations where we live and turn it into a uk station directory where people can come and view stations from across the uk. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit of we could do that and have a railway reasources area where things are actagorised into stations trains signalboxes etc swo that people can come in and find picture to use in projects of for designing simulation routes and for people that just want to look at trains and see what different stations look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.