• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Right Away Whistle in BVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

At major stations, some of which have been coded in BVE, trains are usual dispatched by the whistle from a dispatcher, now is there anyway at major stations we could make the door close occur only after the RA has been given, any ideas on this folks?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
This used to be done in BVE2 as part of the doors closing sounds. Nowadays, it can be done as an extra klaxon which would offer you to do it anywhere. The 'This train is now ready to depart' message in the '95ts is done through Klaxon1. Could it be done in the same way that announements are?

Nick

Coxster said:
This used to be done in BVE2 as part of the doors closing sounds. Nowadays, it can be done as an extra klaxon which would offer you to do it anywhere. The 'This train is now ready to depart' message in the '95ts is done through Klaxon1. Could it be done in the same way that announements are?

Interesting point, but the problem is at smaller unstaffed stations where a RA is not given- the conductor has to close the doors when ready. Using .announce is interesting but is it able to be sounded at a certain time ratehr then as u pass a piece of track otherwise I can't see it working....

Tom B

Established Member
The second station sound plays 5 seconds before the doors start to close.

Nick

Cockfosters said:
The second station sound plays 5 seconds before the doors start to close.

Thanks Tom, exactly what I was looking for :D

wumpty

The problem is that you need two whistles for despatch. One to let the guard know you're ready for him/her to close the doors, and a second one to say the train is ready to start.

Using the second sound in the .Sta command the sound will *finish* playing before the doors start to close, so a wav file with two whistles will have played both whistles before the guard wakes up from reading his paper and hits the close button.

We need a new beacon type <D

Nick

wumpty said:
The problem is that you need two whistles for despatch. One to let the guard know you're ready for him/her to close the doors, and a second one to say the train is ready to start.

Not so on modern units, a dispatcher gives the conductor the tip, and the conductor closes the door and gives his "whistle" by two buzzs of the buzzer I thought?

Tom B

Established Member
wumpty said:

That could be acheived, presumably, by having leave.wav as a whistle *AND* having a despatch whistle in the .sta command?

wumpty

Nick said:
wumpty said:

Not so on modern units, a dispatcher gives the conductor the tip, and the conductor closes the door and gives his "whistle" by two buzzs of the buzzer I thought?

You still get the second station work complete whistle before Guard can bell the driver, as Guard can't always see all of the train. On trains without a buzzer, the RTS is given directly to the driver. Saying that, the whistle is only a supplement to the handsignal - there is no requirement for a whistle. Some staff will only give a whistle for the the first instruction to the guard, and just a handsignal for the second, so I'm guessing thats what you mean.

Cockfosters said:
That could be acheived, presumably, by having leave.wav as a whistle *AND* having a despatch whistle in the .sta command?

Indeed, but then you'd get that 'second' leave.wav whistle at all stations, including ones without the despatch staff.

One whistle it is then ;)

Nick

wumpty said:
Nick said:
wumpty said:

You still get the second station work complete whistle before Guard can bell the driver, as Guard can't always see all of the train. On trains without a buzzer, the RTS is given directly to the driver. Saying that, the whistle is only a supplement to the handsignal - there is no requirement for a whistle. Some staff will only give a whistle for the the first instruction to the guard, and just a handsignal for the second, so I'm guessing thats what you mean.

Thats what I meant yes, on a HST do the guards have buzzers or is it described as you have suggested to dispatch one?

Derek Kaye

Does the doorcls.wav sound start after the second station sound has finished or does it just start 5 seconds after the second station sound?

If that is the case, you could have a long (i.e. about 15 second) station2 sound where there is a silent part in the middle between the two whistles.

wumpty

Derek Kaye said:
Does the doorcls.wav sound start after the second station sound has finished or does it just start 5 seconds after the second station sound?

If that is the case, you could have a long (i.e. about 15 second) station2 sound where there is a silent part in the middle between the two whistles.

The doorcls.wav sound starts 5 seconds after the second station sound has finished. I tried generating 10 seconds of silence between two whistles, but the second whistle still comes 5 seconds before the doors start to close.

Nick

Talking of whistles does anyone have a whistle wave file that I could use?

Nick

nutter said:
Try looking in the simsig forum. I have a despatchers whistle telling me when TRTS has been requested. Hope this helps and good luck

You mean on the old simsig forum which is now offline so I can't download it? ;)

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The proceedure for dispatching a sliding door or central locking fitted train from a manned station is as follows. Firstly the dispath staff give a hand signal or show a white light, usually suplimented by a whistle, to the guard to tell him to shut or lock the doors. Once the doors are shut or locked, the dispatch the dispatch staff will repeate the signal to the guard to tell him that station duties are compleate. Both of these signals will often be passed along own the platform where the station is curved and the front of the train is not visable from the rear. The guard will then give the right away signal to the driver. With all units, HSTs, and some push pull trains, this is done with 2 rings of a bell or a buzzer (interestingly, 2 bells is the starting signal for mainline trains and buses, but when London Underground had guards they only used one bell). On loco hauled trains the guard will show a green flag or light to the driver, and this might be reinforced with a whistle. This signal also might be passed down the platform by dispatch staff, with a hand signal during the day or a green light at night. In some situations, RA (right away) can be displayed below the signal by a member of station staff after recieving the right away from the guard, and this is the prefered method if provided, since the RA display is interlocked with the signal so it cannot show when the signal is at red, and prevents the risk of "ding ding and away" SPADs where a driver recieves the starting signal and moves whilst the signal is still at danger (both station staff and the guard should check that the signal is clear before giving the right away to the driver, and "OFF" indicators are provided to help them with this, but ultimatly it is the drivers responsibility to check the signal is clear before moving). On slam door trains without door locks, only the right away signal is givern, not close doors, and at unmanned stations it is up to the guard to check the doors are close or locked before giving the starting signal. Where the train is OPO, the close doors and RA signals would be given directly to the driver, and these can also be done through displays under the signal (CD or RA) or at unmanned stations the driver will use a mirror or CCTV to see when it is safe to shut the doors and that the doors are shut before moving off.
Interestingly, driver-guard buzzers arn't always used when proveded. The push pull sets on the WCML were fitted with driver-guard buzzers, as were Cross Country sets when hauled by a 86, but these were never used. Most major stations were fitted with RA indicators, but at other stations a green flag was used. This was alright when driving from a 86 or 87, but when driving from a 90 or DVT, which don't have opening windows next to the driver, the driver had to get up and lean out of the door to see the guards signal. Very odd. Now that the Mk3s and 90s are moving to 'one', they use the buzzers, as they have always done with the 86s an Mk2s.

Nick

ChrisCooper said:
Once the doors are shut or locked, the dispatch the dispatch staff will repeate the signal to the guard to tell him that station duties are complete.

Surely this can be done with a hand signal after the doors are closed? (ie. once the doors are closed a batton is rased and the Driver to Guard buzzer is pressed twice by the guard). I can now see the problem in BVE....but we shall have to rely on a hand signal for the latter part ;) unless you want to do a new beacon anyone....!

darkavenger38

for HST's the close doors wistle and tip is given, the train manager locks the doors. then a another whistle and another tip is given once the doors have been securly locked, the train manager then gives the bells

Regards
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.