• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Right to bear Arms- Do you support this?

Do you support the right to bear firearms

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
I know I have made one too many threads and polls these past few days, but I feel this is a serious thing we need to discuss.

Quite recently (but not too recently) we had the Orlando shootings in the USA, with claimed 49 innocent lives. In addition to the that, we've had many police attacks as well as white vs black wars, nearly all down to the firearm and most in the USA. These are all upsetting events that many continue to mourn upon and is the subject of debate in many societies. I, for one, don't see the gun situation changing there due to the Second Amendment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
However, there are also some claimed benefits, such as protection against criminals, use as a sport, and finally armed police.

I honestly don't have an opinion on guns so I am 'don't know'.

However, what is your opinion on this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member

Do you think all police should be allowed to bear a firearm?#

All Police no, more armed police yes.

Do you think gamers should be allowed to bear a firearm?

Not sure what the point of this question is.

Do you think everyone should be allowed to bear a firearm?

Everyone no

This excludes criminals.

I'll be glad to hear all your opinions.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Do you think all police should be allowed to bear a firearm?#

All Police no, more armed police yes.

Do you think gamers should be allowed to bear a firearm?

Not sure what the point of this question is.

Do you think everyone should be allowed to bear a firearm?

Everyone no

This excludes criminals.

I'll be glad to hear all your opinions.

Your poll question does not make much sense to me either.

J-2739

Established Member
-I need a title edit-

I meant in similar to the USA where you can go out and buy a gun and police are equipped with them, as in use for self defence.

I'm already starting to regret making this thread and poll.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Under very strict terms and conditions with an annual assessment to see if you are still capable of understanding the dangers, yes i would

me123

Established Member
The question "Do you support firearms" is quite open, but on the whole I am opposed to firearms. The vast majority of people do not need to have guns in their lives, and there is little merit in the argument that guns promote safety. Citizens should not be armed, and thankfully in these isles we do not need to be armed.

I'm not entirely sure why you originally asked about gamers - certainly giving a gun to a 12 year old "Call of Duty" fanatic seems irresponsible, to say the least. Perhaps you mean genuine firearm sports like clay pigeon shooting, in which case limited firearm availability to legitimate sportspeople is reasonable subject to various stringent checks and safety measures; including but not limited to background checks, references from the sporting club that the member belongs to to confirm that it is to be used for that sport, and steps to ensure that the gun is stored safely and securely.

As for the police, yes we do need armed police. In spite of our strong firearms legislation there is an illegal market in guns, and in some situations I accept that the police may need to use a gun for the protection of public safety. One recent case was the attack in Nice, where the offender was shot to protect members of the public. I think this is a necessity.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant in similar to the USA where you can go out and buy a gun and police are equipped with them, as in use for self defence.

Absolutely not. There is no need for civilians to have guns.

GB

Established Member
I am sure that someone with legal knowledge who will give the answer to this in terms of Law currently applying.

Remember the 1999 case of Tony Martin shooting a burglar?

I'm not a lawyer but I believe you are allowed to use reasonable and justified force to defend your self. However that entirely depends on the circumstances. If you injure or kill someone then you will have to answer for it.

Tony Martin killed an unarmed intruder using a firearm while they were fleeing. He had no legal right to posses his firearm.

GB

Established Member
Does that legal terminology include the use of legally owned firearms ?

As I say, depends entirely on the circumstances. If you shoot someone who is giving a family member a vicious beating then probably yes. Or if the assailants were themselves also armed with a firearm and using it in a threatening manner then probably yes. Shooting some one with their back turned against you probably not.

Another grey area is if your legally owned firearm was already loaded with the intent to use it in such circumstances. I don't believe the courts look to kindly on that.

Far different to the USA's stand your ground laws.

Pepper spray/mace/pepper balls would be pretty good as an alternative for home defense, but these are also illegal in the UK

Last edited:

Johnnie2Sheds

I am of the opinion that, if the British were allowed to arm themselves, bodies would be in heaps on street corners.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not a particularly well worded thread, but I've voted no, because any other option is bonkers, and obviously no sane person would want to become like the USA in this respect.
-I need a title edit-.
Then click Edit on the original post, then click Go Advanced.

Harbornite

Established Member
The second amendment needs amending and there is definitely an issue with US gun culture and the relationship that Americans have with guns. Am outright ban might not be the right thing to do but introducing tighter controls would be a start.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Not far from here, a 'starting pistol' will be used to trigger a race.
A little further away, agricultural workers will use rifles to shoot rabbits on their land.
Just beyond them, there is a military rifle practice range.
And a bit further north, while the grouse season is active, there's shooting of them and other game birds.

Was any of this included in your 'poll'?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm guessing "gamers" (as mentioned originally) was meant to be "gamekeepers". There is a slight difference between the two... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer
A gamer is someone who plays interactive games, usually video games, although games can also come in other forms, such as tabletop or physical games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamekeeper
A gamekeeper (often abbreviated to keeper) is a person who manages an area of countryside to make sure there is enough game for shooting, or fish for angling, and who actively manages areas of woodland, moorland, waterway or farmland for the benefit of game birds, deer, fish and wildlife in general.
I know quite a few gamers, none of whom should be permitted to possess or bear firearms in my opinion :lol:

Seacook

I do not think that every adult should be able to buy a firearm as a right. Some adults should be permitted to hold some types of firearm, provided they meet restrictions such as complete and proper training having been taken, having no criminal record, and providing a secure place for storage.

J-2739

Established Member
eh?

I was hoping you could help with some clarification; and also that my illustrations will help you and others in how to approach some of the issues raised in the thread.
I still am hopeful.

Ok, I get you, sorry.

I meant as in self-defence and if it is right that every person employed in law enforcement to possess a firearm.

Flamingo

Established Member
I was in the US a while ago, and talking to a strong Second Amendment supporter (Retired Lt Col, PhD, thinks Trump is the answer to a nations prayer, goes nowhere without at least a pistol). He wanted to know, that in view of the risk that Terrorists posed to trains, what sidearms the train-crews in the UK were issued with. I told him I had a whistle.

Maybe we should have a poll on how many people think that traincrew should carry firearms...

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America is meaningless to anyone living in Britain and we have to abide by the laws of this country.

Of course, anyone is free to have an opinion on how matters can be or should be in another country, but an airing of that personal opinion is all that can be achieved and will have no influence whatsoever on the laws of that land. A good reverse comparison were the calls from abroad that Sharia Law be valid in Britain and we all know what short shrift that particular aspiration received in Britain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A few years ago I was talking to a police constable while waiting for an ambulance to take me to hospital after I'd been mugged, and I brought up the subject of arming the police. He looked at me in horror and replied that he'd never go along with it as he considered most PCs could not be entrusted with the responsibility. I was surprised by the way he framed his answer, but I do think the routine arming of police in this country would lead to many more deaths, both of police officers and some of those who come into contact with them.

As for the USA, there seems to be no hope that their elected representatives can unbury their heads from the sand on the subject of guns. It's a collective madness and invoking the Constitution is but a smokescreen: where there's a will there's a way, but there is no will thanks to the gun lobby.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think that the private possession of guns & other weapons should be prohibited. That includes their use for murdering defenceless birds, etc. To enable farmers to curb pests such as rabbits or foxes, there should be a facility to hire (at reasonable cost) trained soldier maksmen - these are likely to be better "shots" than amateurs, and so less likely to cause excessive suffering by the animals.

And for the grouse moor owners, etc., who say they will lose money, I say "tough" - there are better ways to earn money from that land.

Status
Not open for further replies.