• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rights on this refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
As a member of Northern Rail staff, I would love to comment on Northern's plan in regards to refunds and alternative travel arrangements for the potential strike action, however, for many reasons (the main one being that I quite like my job thank you very much), I can't at this time.

What I will say, though, is that if it had been me that was approached, I would have done my best to get it sorted there and then, rather than direct someone to Customer Services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
In fairness to the staff at the booking office, I think they just felt their hands were tied because I paid with a RTV. I think in their own way they were trying to hl I saw him go into the back room and speak to another employee, who I saw make a phone call, then explain to his co-worker what he had been told on the phone. That is when he came back and explained to me that I would need to send the form in to CS so they can issue one of their [Northern] vouchers as the ones I paid with had been sent off already.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting. So if you'd paid with, say, cash they would have refunded you without quibble there and then?

button_boxer

Established Member
You say you bought the original tickets with your travelling companion's Disabled Person's Railcard - remember that if the railcard holder is no longer travelling then your own discounted tickets will not be valid either.

Is it possible to excess Advance tickets to remove the railcard discount or are they simply wastepaper if the railcard holder is not present?

island

Veteran Member
You say you bought the original tickets with your travelling companion's Disabled Person's Railcard - remember that if the railcard holder is no longer travelling then your own discounted tickets will not be valid either.

Is it possible to excess Advance tickets to remove the railcard discount or are they simply wastepaper if the railcard holder is not present?

It is not meant to be done but is often done nevertheless.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no good reason why it can't be done. It's the policy of some Train Companies to do it as a matter of course. However as it's not documented in the iKB, some Companies choose not to. So you may need to "shop around". East Coast do it, and I know a TPE Guard who is happy to do it, to give just two examples.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my view, certainly with the Two Together Railcard but also with any other one allowing multiple passengers to travel together, or GroupSave, or whatever, I don't entirely see why one person shouldn't travel with both sets of tickets if the other can't travel. They have after all paid over the odds.

The one exception would be the Family Railcard because they wouldn't necessarily have paid over the odds because of the heavy child discount.

gray1404

Established Member
Update
Received a letter from Northern Customer Relations dated 20 May 2015: -
"Thank you for your refund application. All refunds must be processed in line with the guidelines published by ATOC. You application ha been passed to our Passenger Accounts department for processing. Although we endeavour to refund you as soon as possible, please allow up to 28 days for the refund to be completed. Thank you again for taking the trouble to contact Northern."

I am not sure if this is a good for a bad thing? One of the reasons I said I would be happy to received a RTV (which is what I also paid with) was because I thought it might just be easier for Customer Relations to send out a RTV by return as refund. I wonder if there is a chance I will be paid by cheque now. Will just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it will be a good outcome! :)

Actually getting worried about it now that they might not pay up.... my mate asked "have you got that train ticket money back for me yet?".... shoot! (at least they've received the tickets safely I thought lol) Stress from him now.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You would be far better off asking them to reimburse you via RTV. Northern took two months to sort me out a cheque earlier this year (granted it was for a large amount). Hassling them or ringing for updates may be necessary if the 28 day window passes.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for advise. On the comments form I requested the refund on I stated "I would be happy to receive a refund by Rail Travel Voucher." They will also see that I used RTVs to pay for all of the tickets concerned. It was therefore my hope that Customer Relations would simply issue RTVs by return. I am hoping I hear back from them fast with a full reply!

However, now its with Passenger Accounts (which I believe in is Manchester, not Leeds) I wonder if they can issue RTVs or will just default to a cheque... time will tell.

I could, in theory, ask for my case to be reviewed by a Manager or go to Passenger Focus if I don't hear back within 28 days from the date of their letter. HOWEVER, given I've requested refunds for 2 single tickets that were on the Friday before the Tuesday proposed strike on the basis they related to the same journey (i.e. the outward bit) to the coming back singles on the Tuesday I also enclosed, I want to leave those options up my sleeve in case I need them later. This would be in the event they say no to my request.

Also, in case they have a problem paying up for the Tuesday tickets - despite the advice posted on NRE - I could imagine Northern not knowing how to implement the enhanced refund rights with no administration fee that was stated on NRE. I'll just be glad when I hear back and this is all sorted!

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
UPDATE: cheque received today for all tickets (despite it was for 2 different dates and paid for by voucher.) I'm a happy customer. Off to the bank now to pay it in! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.