• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riots in Birmingham/London/Manchester etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
We wait to see what West Midlands Police's response to this will be, BBC quoting Assistant Chief Constable Sharon Rowe saying: "We will not tolerate mindless violence and damage anywhere in the West Midlands and are working to ensure that the offenders are identified and caught as soon as possible."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately every city will have hundreds (in some cases a thousand or more) absolute scumbags, and they now realise that we can do very little to stop them causing havoc. We'd be far better off without them, but what can be done? Not very much it seems.

These anarchists do not like our way of life. It's a shame that we can't designate some desert island to simply deport them to, cut off from the outside world. They could then loot each other and leave us in peace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14452468

SS4

Established Member
In the city centre it wouldn't surprise me if they were opportunists from London intent on causing trouble

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We wait to see what West Midlands Police's response to this will be, BBC quoting Assistant Chief Constable Sharon Rowe saying: "We will not tolerate mindless violence and damage anywhere in the West Midlands and are working to ensure that the offenders are identified and caught as soon as possible."
They won't be able to name them, they will be given an ASBO saying they can't do things that are illegal anyway and they will continue to extract benefits money from us. Lovely :|

SS4

Established Member
They won't be able to name them, they will be given an ASBO saying they can't do things that are illegal anyway and they will continue to extract benefits money from us. Lovely :|

They can be banned from town but the question is of enforcement. Very unimpressed that these ****ers want to destroy this great city :/

WestCoast

Established Member

Well said. All this talk of inner-city poverty is enough now, they have to respect the law. Yes, these people aren't living in the lap of luxury but compared to the thousands upon thousands of people dying of starvation in other parts of the world they have a comparatively reasonable life.

Hydro

Established Member
In the city centre it wouldn't surprise me if they were opportunists from London intent on causing trouble

It could well be local scrotes with the attitude of "It's kicking off in London and they're getting away with it, let's have a pop here!".

Martin_1981

All services through New St appear to be running normally at present, except the odd 'normal' delays, one of which was a 20 minute delay on a Plymouth bound train. Sister is travelling from Bristol to Leicester which involved the dreaded change of train there and got through ok.

Ferret

Established Member
It could well be local scrotes with the attitude of "It's kicking off in London and they're getting away with it, let's have a pop here!".

Exactly. Considering all I hear 'the youth' go on about is 'respect', it's odd how they have none themselves for anything at all. Utter vermin.

Rugd1022

Exactly, and I doubt those who kicked it all off down in London today are living below the bread line either.... strangley, they can all afford computers and mobile phones so they can organize a ruck on twitter / facebook etc. It's just an excuse to have a go at the old Bill and do a spot of looting.

WestCoast

Established Member
Exactly. Considering all I hear 'the youth' go on about is 'respect', it's odd how they have none themselves for anything at all. Utter vermin.

Make no mistake, these people have no respect for the law, myself and other young people (and indeed the rest of society) don't approve of that. They are just thugs who can't protest in any meaningful way, they have to damage and steal. Then they have the audacity to complain about the police and how badly treated they are. No wonder they can't get jobs.

Respect is a two-way street.

They are complaining about "stop & search" as well, when the police do indeed find many things on these people. It's not "cos u iz black".

Just my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
Apparently, New Street is shut off now. Just seen on the news, kicked off in Croydon now!

Looked on Live Departure Boards and a couple of services passing through BHM (including the 2103 ex Plymouth to Leeds) are now listed as 'Delayed'. This could mean that the rioting has spread to the station concourse and platforms.

Moving back on topic, I'm surprised there has been little discussion as to what causes these riots. The official explanation is that they were a response to the shooting of Mark Duggan, but the reaction of people living in Tottenham suggests they didn't expect rioting as a consequence. I think the rioting is a reflection of increasing poverty and deprivation - I think as standards of living continue to decline there will be more riots. You cannot merely pass of the rioters as angry anarchists.

Last edited by a moderator:

the sniper

Established Member
This could mean that the rioting has spread to the station concourse and platforms.

Very unlikely. Most probably closed as a precaution.

Btw, off topic but from watching BBC news it looks like the Croydon Tramlink will be closed for some time, the rails are on fire! Presumably due to the grease that has been put on the track, as there appears to be a set of points behind the furniture store.

David

Established Member
One thing os for certain, the hooligans can't be short of a few quid if they're using petrol bombs! :shock:

londonmidland

Established Member
From National Rail website:
Civil unrest is causing disruption in various locations around London.
For safety and security reasons, the following stations have been closed - some trains may be delayed or cancelled:
c2c
Barking

Chiltern Railways
Harrow-on-the-Hill

First Capital Connect
Peckham Rye

London Overground
Barking
Hackney Central
West Croydon

Trains will not run between Sydenham and West Croydon.
National Express East Anglia
Bethnal Green

Southeastern
Peckham Rye
Woolwich Arsenal

Southern
South Bermondsey
Queens Road Peckham
West Croydon
Peckham Rye

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The problem has apparently spread to Clapham Junction. Debenhams have been ransacked and shops smashed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One thing os for certain, the hooligans can't be short of a few quid if they're using petrol bombs!

Scrotes are probably just siphoning it out of parked up cars. I doubt they're actually paying for it...

Hydro

Established Member
A great deal of the commentary from officials really does sound like "Please stop, or we'll be very angry. Please, please stop. The naughty step is beckoning."

At no point is there "We have commandeered a Tardis to retrieve the Metropolitan Police of the 1980's, the old NI Pigs are being dusted off and a cranky Infantry battalion is being recalled from Aldershots pubs . Stay outside at your peril."

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
These anarchists do not like our way of life. It's a shame that we can't designate some desert island to simply deport them to, cut off from the outside world. They could then loot each other and leave us in peace.

Unfortunately, Australia is now no longer available for penal settlements as a Crown Colony as was the case in the past, but certain islands that are south of the Falkland Islands, such as South Georgia could well be utilised as penal colonies. There is a considerable distance involved as a safety barrier between there and the United Kingdom, with the added bonus of deterring any Argentinian future incursions.

Failing this, why cannot Martial Law be imposed? I am watching the 2200 BBC News as I type this with incidents in Croydon and Birmingham featured.

newbie babs

Its just been on sky news live in Birmingham and St Phillips area is closed off and the trouble has gone to the jewellery quarter. Birmingham centre is closed and a lot of the mobile shops have been looted. Police are on the streets advising people where to go.

Metrailway

According to Facebook statuses the areas affected are:
London, Birmingham and Leeds.

In London:
Walthamstow
Leyton
Leytonstone
Hackney
Stratford
Tottenham
Enfield
Edmonton
Brixton
East ham
Peckham
Harlesden
Lewisham
Oxford circus
Shepherds bush
Ponders end
Wood green
Dalston
Islington
New Cross
Croydon
Clapham Junction
Bethnal Green
Barking
Green Street (Forest Gate)
Ilford
Plaistow
Ealing Broadway
Colliers wood
Whitechapel
Woolwich
Surrey
Hayes
Harrow
Canning Town
Camden
Wandsworth

Most of these areas are not being reported in the mainstream media

theblackwatch

Established Member
Unfortunately every city will have hundreds (in some cases a thousand or more) absolute scumbags, and they now realise that we can do very little to stop them causing havoc. We'd be far better off without them, but what can be done? Not very much it seems.

I couldn't agree more. I went to Tottenham yesterday and the place looked like a war zone - burnt out cars and vans, a mangled bus which was unrecogniseable and a huge building totally gutted (there are pics here). Strangely though, there was actually a peaceful atmosphere there.

Hydro

Established Member
According to Facebook statuses the areas affected are:
London, Birmingham and Leeds.

In London:
Walthamstow
Leyton
Leytonstone
Hackney
Stratford
Tottenham
Enfield
Edmonton
Brixton
East ham
Peckham
Harlesden
Lewisham
Oxford circus
Shepherds bush
Ponders end
Wood green
Dalston
Islington
New Cross
Croydon
Clapham Junction
Bethnal Green
Barking
Green Street (Forest Gate)
Ilford
Plaistow
Ealing Broadway
Colliers wood
Whitechapel
Woolwich
Surrey
Hayes
Harrow
Canning Town
Camden
Wandsworth

So, all of it then? I'm supposed to be on nights up in London later this week. They can stuff that for a start.

I cannot being to describe the rage I'm feeling at what is happening. It's pure opportunistic criminal hedonism. It's not boredom, it's not poverty, it's just violent thieves, carried away by the power of the mob, who believe they can absolutely get away with it.

Metroland

Established Member
I would like to think this is a political movement, and there is no question that many young people feel very annoyed a cheated with society, especially minorities. However, I sense this is a bunch of thugs using social media as a excuse to cause mayhem for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.