• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rip Cig1805 & 1866

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

The two CIG's that did the honours on the slam-door farewell tour have unceremoniously been sent from Shoeburyness to Newport on their final journey. So it looks like the last (proper) mainline working CIGs (other than the Lymington 3CIGs) are going to be cut. I imagine the last VEP's will have the same fate as well? Also, on does anyone know where the units end up once they arrive at Newport... (Im assuming they dont get scrapped there) Do they go to MOD Caerwent for instance, and get broken by J.T.Lanscape there? (like where my 101 cab came from).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
People will be kicking themselves in years to come for not preserving enough of these.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Hmm interesting question to which I will forward on to one of the local EWS shunters when he is online next.... as far as I am aware there is a scrapyard in Newport near the docks but I'm not postive, so don't bank on them not being scrapped here but I will definetly find out!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If they were to be scrapped at Caerwent, they'd have gone there direct.

IIRC, there is definately a scrapyard near the docks in Newport.

Thanks for letting us know which ones were on it. An FGW 57/6 was hauling them down there, saw them just outside Newport at around 1738 as I was being taken to Hereford and onto having tea and going home. Gutted I didn't know about the move, I'd have arranged to go home later and photted it. Still, I got a new bash on 175111, first time I've seen it in South Wales too. Plus I was bored and tired of ATW by now.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sims Metals has a scrapyard at Newport Docks - a large number of slammers have already met their fate their, along with at least one Class 86.

AlexS

Established Member
Why would they kick themselves over these 2 slammers? Plenty of them have been preserved now, where people arrrre going to end up kicking themselves is that a grand total of less than 5 AC EMUs have been preserved.

metrocammel

AlexS said:
Why would they kick themselves over these 2 slammers? Plenty of them have been preserved now, where people arrrre going to end up kicking themselves is that a grand total of less than 5 AC EMUs have been preserved.

Well, Historical signifacance, not particularly these two (but these were on the last tour), but it would be nice to see at least one set out of the 12VEP that did the last run to Brighton saved - as out of well over 150 years of "(no CDL)slam-door" on the Network in passenger service, that was the final train, so I think is very significant really.

The amount of AC EMU's preserved, is also a disgrace really. It is really sad that, despite many organisations trying to save various classes, preserved railways with a narrow-minded "steam only, or the odd diesel if its in green" view is pathetic - what would be so bad about putting say a 305 on a preserved line as hauled stock?- but no - the "kettle brigade" say its not authentic, and dissaprove. So an EMU class bites the dust. Its sad, yet very avoidable.- But soon many classes will be extinct without help of people. For example back in the 1980's, according to an EMU / DMU stockbook (1981 Motive Power - Combined Vol.) there were(3car units) 45 class 304's (now extinct), 74 class 305's (now possibly extinct, though some may linger at Shoeburynes) 90 306's (withdrawn during 80's - 1949 stock, conv. AC 1960's, one remains, 306017 at Ilford depot, was used on special occasions until TPWS compusary- future unknown now?) , literally 100's of 308 units- (now one is in preservation - at Walthamstow Pump House museum- again rest believed extinct, though some may be at Shoeburyness still. There were about 24 (4car) Clacton units (309), now I think one or two remain, hanging on by a thread, a group are endeavouring to save it though...
Then we go onto the mk2 AC units, which is the same sad story...
310, there were many of these around in the 80's, but now the survivors are lingering at Shoeburyness, waiting to be moved for scrap... the only working "survivor" is part of the Hitachi test train.
312, same story as above, it is a crime that the 312 are all waiting scrapping, most of these are younger than class 313's, but due to the "slam-doors", and our health & safety conscious country, they have all been stored, the last AC slam-door EMU in Britain departing Liverpool Street for Witton in July 2004.

I hope some more of the AC EMU's do get preserved, and not neglected like they have been so far. As OK, although they dont "clag" and what-not, they are just as important as the huge amount of steam & diesel loco's that have preserved - and in a sense more useful, as they could be converted (at relative ease- into "DVT" style units - The ELR did this to it's 504 in the 1990's to work with a class 25- but then they stopped using it for some reason- and now the 504 is full of graffiti with smashed windows.

Nitro

I agree but you have to remember that preserving a diesel is one thing and preserving an EMU is totally different as you need 3rd or rail or OHLE. Where's the money going to come from and lets not forget Health & Safety which would mean the juice been turned on and off all the time just so people can see the unit (unless its OHLE) which would be even more expensive to put up!

Met Driver

Established Member
Nitro said:
I agree but you have to remember that preserving a diesel is one thing and preserving an EMU is totally different as you need 3rd or rail or OHLE.

Not at all - stick a diesel loco on the front of a 1st generation EMU, and hey presto - you have traction! There's no need for a juice rail or OHLE.

Nitro

What if you want to drive the train by itself with no MU/Loco and plus where are you going to get a MU/Loco?

AlexS

Established Member
One would imagine you would use a locomotive you already have, with an EMU you just purchased - vide the Great Central when they whack the 33/1 on to the CIG set.

Met Driver

Established Member
Nitro said:
What if you want to drive the train by itself with no MU/Loco and plus where are you going to get a MU/Loco?

Well obviously if a railway wanted to run an EMU off traction current then they'd need a huge sum of money to install the appropriate equipment (we're talking waaaay more money than any preserved railway would have). It's also not as simple as putting the rail down and running the trains - there are other things to sort out too, like the electricity supplier and so forth.

Nitro

Thats precisely my point! Maybe thats why there arent alot EMU's preserved as if you dont something to haul it with you would need to be a millionare (or pretty close)!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That last 312 you mention metcam, I'm sure they did Witham all-stations in their last days. I seriously regret not having done the 312 when I saw them the week before they finished. But then I didn't know so much about things as I do now. If it were to happen this summer, I'd make sure I got down there to try them out before they went. Still, that's an unfortunate thing now.

As for preserving EMUs, as a diesel fan I really can't comment much on the EMU preservation movement, but there is surprisingly little first-gen EMUs preserved, as posted. Pity this won't change really, unless most of this forum's members became rich overnight.

Met Driver

Established Member
Nitro said:
Thats precisely my point! Maybe thats why there arent alot EMU's preserved as if you dont something to haul it with you would need to be a millionare (or pretty close)!

It would be far cheaper and more sensible to purchase a loco in order to haul the MU if the line didn't have a loco already (although most of them do!).

Established Member
They were the last two cigs i did heads out on and they were on my first forum meet. if i get bored ill go up the lymington branch

TheSlash

Established Member
Just like to direct you to www.emus.co.uk where you can find detailed plans on Coventry railway centre's work to become the first 3rd rail electrified preservation railway
As for preserving units
3 CEP 1198
4 CEP 2311
4 CEP 2315
4 BEP/CEP 2325
3 CIG 1499
4 CIG 1399
4 CIG 1393
4 TC 417

I think the Dean Forest railway took another SWT 4 CIG
Members of the 33/1 group based at the Swanage railway have purchased a 4TC and hope to unite it with 33108 at Swanage in the future
The Bideford and Instow railway took a VEP DTC formerly ued by Southern
Several BIG buffet cars are preserved around the country

Coventry railway centre's stock include a 4 SUB, 2 HAP, 2 EPB

There is a 2 BIL on display at Shildon

The Southern Electric group own a 4 COR and have been loaned a spare driving coach, bring the total to 5 vehicles. A 6th COR coach is on display at York museum

The EPB group have a 2 EPB, 2 MLV's at the East Kent and a further 2 at the Coventry railway centre

2 MLV's are preserved at the Eden Valley railway

South West trains have at least 3 class 73 locos, capable of working with some of the above units
GBRf have... 4 73's?
FM Rail have a 33/1 and 73 at least

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
The EPB group have a 2 EPB, 2 MLV's at the East Kent and a further 2 at the Coventry railway centre
The EPBPG also have the BEP 2325 ;) Is it true that preservation railways aren't allowed to do the push-pull workings with 33/1s or 73s with EMUs/4-TCs?

Coxster

Established Member
AlexS said:
Don't think so - isn't that what the GCR were doing with the CIG?
I thought it was being top 'n' tailed with D6535 and E6003.

TheSlash

Established Member
Coxster said:
The EPBPG also have the BEP 2325 ;) Is it true that preservation railways aren't allowed to do the push-pull workings with 33/1s or 73s with EMUs/4-TCs?
Nope. The rumor did the rounds but there's nothing saying that it's not allowed

metrocammel

Chris said:
Can I suggest y'all have a look at this thread, I think we've been here before

http://forums.railuk.org/showthread.php?t=4536

:faroah:

Yeh, I think thats exactly the same as what the ELR did with their 504 unit. At least two of the 1st gen "sliding door" EMU's are saved (a 303 and a 311) but it really is a shame more of the "Wolverton-style raked back" front AC EMU's arent saved (ie 304 - 305 - 308) - so far only one coach... a class 308 (and of course the 504- though that was run on the very unusual voltage of 1,200v dc 3rd rail - it was unique to the Vic to Bury line, and had been since about 1903 or somthing...

Anyway.. it's good to see some units preserved, but it is amazing (when you look into it) really the amount of DC 3rd rail units that survive, when with the AC units theres almost nothing - especially slam-door AC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.