• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rivera Line Stations to get multimillion pound facelifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidash

Horrid Express

A £2.6MILLION plan to breath new life into Paignton railway station has been unveiled.

Torbay Council and First Great Western are drawing up the proposals which would transform the town centre station.

Torbay has made a bid for Growth Fund cash towards the scheme.

A council spokesman said the work involved a general upgrade of the station building and facilities

A spokesman said: "Exact details haven't been drawn up, but it is likely to include a redesigned ticket hall/entrance, better connectivity to the bus station, improved waiting area and other general improvements.

"We are aware the footbridge at the station is currently under refurbishment and this work is being carried out by Network Rail. A bid has been submitted to the Local Growth Fund through the Local Enterprise Partnership regarding a larger refurbishment for the station.

"The bid was for £1.5million to cover a scheme of around £2.4million. The remainder of the cost (£0.9million) will be met by private investment. We will know if this has been successful early in 2015."

A First Great Western spokesman said: "Paignton is an important station for us. It has a footfall of 590,000 passengers a year and provides connectivity to and from the wider Torbay area. We have recently enhanced services to Paignton, to provide two trains an hour during a typical weekday — an extra 300 seats a day. These services prove our commitment to the line."

Matthew Dart, Paignton town centre manager, said: "I think it's great they have decided to spend money on Paignton. The bus station has already been improved and Dartmouth Steam Railway has improved its station so it is all coming together. I think Paignton is starting to get noticed now. We have a great transport hub in the town centre with the buses, taxis, trains and steam trains all within five minutes walk of the seafront and seconds from the shops.

"Hopefully, it will encourage bigger companies to come here and open up."

Horrid Express

PASSENGERS travelling along the Riviera Line which links Exeter with Torbay are set to benefit from a more pleasant travelling experience as Network Rail and First Great Western continue their revamp of stations along this route.

And it has been announced more trains are scheduled to use the line from next month.

Since 2012, Torbay Council has been working with the companies to refurbish and aesthetically enhance stations along this line by restoring their historic infrastructure and redecorating them in the traditional Riviera colours of poppy red, holly green and honeysuckle cream.

The work includes:

Paignton station — earlier this year work started to refurbish the station's footbridge and platform canopies. This work will shortly be completed and the station will also be redecorated.

Torquay station — work has now started to refurbish the station's Grade II-listed footbridge, platform canopies and forecourt canopies. In additional to the Riviera colours, metallic gold will also feature as Torquay uses this additional embellishment. This work is due to be completed in May next year.

Torre station — in 2012 the station's Grade II-listed footbridge was refurbished as were the platform canopies in 2013. The station was also redecorated.

Torbay mayor Gordon Oliver said: "I am pleased to welcome the next stage of Network Rail's work at Torquay station which follows their excellent renovation of the road bridge last year. The partnership we have created to address long-standing challenges is now transforming this historic environment.

"This work follows the national recognition the station received when the community group ROC Aspects and First Great Western were praised for their stunning work on the station landscaping."

Simon Gyde, Network Rail's asset manager for the western route, said: "This work is not only necessary to extend the life of these footbridges and canopies, but also to improve the environment of these stations for the 1.2million people who use the line each year.

"We have worked closely with First Great Western and Torbay Council to ensure the renovation of these historic buildings is sensitively undertaken and to minimise any disruption while work is taking place."

Dan Okey, First Great Western's regional development manager for the west, said: "We have been working hard with our partners in Devon and Cornwall to invest and provide the improvements we know our passengers want to see. This investment will also see us increase services from Paignton to two an hour, providing an extra 300 seats per weekday from December this year.

"In addition, future plans will see us improve facilities at both Torre and Exeter St Thomas stations, allowing passengers to take better advantage of the full range of services we offer."

"Quick, throw something shiny at them so they won't moan when they don't get a back-up line!" :lol:

Fair amount of 'Possibles' and 'If''s in there, but I'll take what I can ;) Exmouth Station is also about to revamped as well!

Work has already started at Torquay and St Thomas - or rather, the hoardings have gone up.

Extra 300 seats per days - is that the 153 Newton Shuttles being extended to St Davids?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

civ-eng-jim

Coupled with a new station at Edginswell (on the drawing board) you're being positively spoilt down in Devon......

CC 72100

Established Member
Coupled with a new station at Edginswell (on the drawing board) you're being positively spoilt down in Devon......

Hahahaha. I take it that was most certainly in jest? Overcrowding, a nice bunch of pacers, some 150/1s that could rival some of Northern's - yep, we're spoilt rotten.

(I think actually that the network works very well with what it's got, but I think spoilt is far from the case!)

civ-eng-jim

Hahahaha. I take it that was most certainly in jest?

Yes....well, mostly....although thinking about it there's the Bere Alston to Tavistock line, nearly at a stage where it's ready for planning, South West Mainline improvements near Exeter, Marsh Barton and Newcourt stations, Newton Abbot to Exeter resilience....and probably other schemes. It's getting some attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.