• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riviera 47's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Whats happened to the Riviera 47's, it might just be me but you don't seem to hear much about them these days, are they all stored and out of use or have i just not seen them about?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
You’re right that I haven’t heard reports of them doing anything noteworthy at any point in the recent past. AFAIK they can still be seen sat in the carriage sidings between Crewe diesel and Crewe station when some of the carriage rakes stabled there are elsewhere, and I presume that they see use as carriage shunters as the Riviera carriage rakes that are stabled there still see use on charters.

Last time I passed through Crewe, about a fortnight ago, I didn’t spot any of the 47s because all the sidings were full to the brim with carriages, but I should be passing through again tomorrow so I’ll have another look.

Sorry I can’t provide anything more helpful, it seems to be a case of “you’re guess is as good as mine.” :|

Rugd1022

You’re right that I haven’t heard reports of them doing anything noteworthy at any point in the recent past. AFAIK they can still be seen sat in the carriage sidings between Crewe diesel and Crewe station when some of the carriage rakes stabled there are elsewhere, and I presume that they see use as carriage shunters as the Riviera carriage rakes that are stabled there still see use on charters.

Last time I passed through Crewe, about a fortnight ago, I didn’t spot any of the 47s because all the sidings were full to the brim with carriages, but I should be passing through again tomorrow so I’ll have another look.

Sorry I can’t provide anything more helpful, it seems to be a case of “you’re guess is as good as mine.” :|

Had occasion to walk by the depot last Sunday (on the way from Basford Hall Yard after finishing a job) and noted seven 47s stabled there, including three of Riviera's. An unusual sight these days.... once upon a time I wouldn't have bothered looking!

GNERman

Established Member
it seems to be that work is left to 67's, cos their more popular :(

but seriously, they do seem to do absolutely nothing, quite a waste of a group on Main Line fitted locos...

cj_1985

im pretty sure that the Riviera class 47s are on restriction... basically from what i have read they are still used for shunting at Crewe, carraige heating at Crewe and LNWR/DB Eastleigh depots, and occasion trip working from the Riviera depot/sidings to Crewe LNWR depot..

iirc they have been restricted and removed from use on charters due to failures... personally i cant see them being allowed to work on charters again unless they get some pretty heavy mechanical work and can prove that they can work reliably before being aloud out on the mainline on a charter

sprinterguy

Established Member
I passed through Crewe last night and I could see 47769, 47853 and two of the Riviera blue liveried locos stabled in the sidings (The heritage liveried locos are much easier to identify of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.