• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riviera/Hosking and Mk2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosherB

Established Member
A couple of questions that searches on the internet have failed to answer, so here goes...

1) A couple of photos I've seen of the freshly repainted 47501 at Crewe show it alongside what look like one or two Mk2D/E/F carriages in "blood and custard" - are these part of Hosking's grand plan for his trains?

2) On a separate point (I think, but will stand corrected), the Riviera Trains website has lost the links to the Norfolkman and Great Briton carriage sets (although you can still find the pages via a Google search). Are these now been taken up by regular duties away from the railtour market or are they being refurbished? I know that the Royal Duchy Mk1 set is supposed to be getting the "blood and custard" livery to match the Royal Scot set, so I was wondering if Riviera are finally getting around to some sprucing up of their stock ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Jeremy Hosking is creating two rakes of stock, a Mk.1 set and a Mk.2 one, both of which will be blood/custard coloured.

Riviera has quite a few less vehicles than it previously had for charter use. Most of the coaches on ScotRail services are Riviera ones which are on long-term lease to DRS so obviously they can't be used on charters now.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one Mk.1 Riviera set now, which is made up of the better coaches from the previous two rakes so is a mix of chocolate/cream and blood/custard vehicles.

D1009

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, there is only one Mk.1 Riviera set now, which is made up of the better coaches from the previous two rakes so is a mix of chocolate/cream and blood/custard vehicles.
The Youtube footage of last Saturday's Devon Belle with Tornado appears to confirm that. I presume vehicles from that set will be used on this year's Torbay Express, then?

alexl92

Established Member
Jeremy Hosking is creating two rakes of stock, a Mk.1 set and a Mk.2 one, both of which will be blood/custard coloured.

Riviera has quite a few less vehicles than it previously had for charter use. Most of the coaches on ScotRail services are Riviera ones which are on long-term lease to DRS so obviously they can't be used on charters now.

Are they aircon mk2s or with windows? I seem to remember Rivieras mk2s all being the aircon (MK2D/E/F) variety.

CosherB

Established Member
Four of the Riviera "Great Briton" coaches have been moved to RVEL behind a GBRf 66 ..... Presumably for repainting?

CosherB

Established Member
WNXX reporting three ex-Great Briton Mk2 carriages being shunted around Locomotive Storage Crewe depot in "blood and custard" livery (also sighted with a debranded 47790). It would be interesting to know if Hosking is purchasing stock from Riviera or leasing it.

Reported separately is that Riviera may be in discussions over the sale of some or all five of their Class 47/8s.

Four of the Riviera "Great Briton" coaches have been moved to RVEL behind a GBRf 66 ..... Presumably for repainting?

At least 2 of these have been repainted Blue & Grey livery, but not noted confirmation which vehicles they are, apart from 3364.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A good few of the ones working for Scotrail could do with a tidy up inside but I guess with the complex arrangements between Riviera, DRS and Scotrail this is umlikeley to be easy or possible? Still the best commuter train in Scotland though lol

sd0733

Established Member
At least 3 more mk2s have appeared at crewe depot
over the last couple of days after being roaded in. Two are the blue and grey 'riviera limited' livery and one is plain red with no doors. Was having a look at one the other day on its lorry, and it looks pretty stripped, think it was 3223. The red one looks almost a derelict shell.

CosherB

Established Member
3384, 3348 and 3330 amongst the Hosking 'blood and custard' rake of Mk1s and Mk2s used for the footy charter for Crystal Palace at the weekend.

At least 3 more mk2s have appeared at crewe depot
over the last couple of days after being roaded in. Two are the blue and grey 'riviera limited' livery and one is plain red with no doors. Was having a look at one the other day on its lorry, and it looks pretty stripped, think it was 3223. The red one looks almost a derelict shell.

Railfilms owned FOs 3223 & 3240 in Riviera livery and TSO 5797 were all last noted as stored at Nemesis, Burton. Could well be those...

sd0733

Established Member
Definitely not 5797 as its a non air con coach with opening windows. The first class ones though are those 2 as just seen them again. Theyre all visible now from passing trains at crewe depot. A red mark 1 has also appeared with them too now.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks. 6412 was acquired by Statesman Rail from the MRC for spares and moved to Burton several years ago.

Defiance149

AIUI, all of the Railfilms-owned coaches will be moving to Crewe as Locomotive Services has bought them, these are the first three to arrive.

AIUI, all of the Railfilms-owned coaches will be moving to Crewe as Locomotive Services has bought them, these are the first three to arrive.

Interesting. Any ideas on possible purchase of stock from Riviera, given the ones being being repainted at Crewe (& RVEL) were owned by them? Several of the former Great Briton rake.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but who is Hosking and is he setting up charter hire business?

CosherB

Established Member

So has Hosking bought Statesman Rail? Something I've heard elsewhere online ....

colchesterken

Train spotting at Southall yesterday, Loads of mk2 air con stock dumped and rotting lots of graffiti, they need a big time refurb. or a one way trip to the recycling yard

fgwrich

Established Member
Train spotting at Southall yesterday, Loads of mk2 air con stock dumped and rotting lots of graffiti, they need a big time refurb. or a one way trip to the recycling yard

Owned and stored by West Coast Railways. Some may make a comeback eventually joining WCRC other Mk2 Air Con rake/rakes, but most were bought for spares.

So has Hosking bought Statesman Rail? Something I've heard elsewhere online ....

Doubt he's purchased Statesman Rail (although knowing Hoskings it could be a possibility!) but he's certainly purchased the RailFilms coaching rakes which, for now will remain on hire to Statesman Rail.

Hoskings certainly seems to be on a spending spree at the moment, what with the ex DRS 47s, many ex Pres and Riviera & others Mk1 and Mk2 rakes. Those ex Great Briton Mk2s were owned and stored at Burton for some time now, little bit surprising that Riviera sold them a few years back as at one time "The Great Briton" rake was supposed to be their 'pride' rake. Suppose that's finally why the remaining vehicles with Riviera are undergoing a repaint out of it?!

Hoskings certainly seems to be on a spending spree at the moment, what with the ex DRS 47s, many ex Pres and Riviera & others Mk1 and Mk2 rakes. Those ex Great Briton Mk2s were owned and stored at Burton for some time now, little bit surprising that Riviera sold them a few years back as at one time "The Great Briton" rake was supposed to be their 'pride' rake. Suppose that's finally why the remaining vehicles with Riviera are undergoing a repaint out of it?!

So are you suggesting that Hoskings has bought the trio which have been repainted Crimson & Cream, but the Blue & Grey ones at RVEL remain with Riviera?

fgwrich

Established Member
So are you suggesting that Hoskings has bought the trio which have been repainted Crimson & Cream, but the Blue & Grey ones at RVEL remain with Riviera?

That's my understanding, Yes. Riviera are painting what they have left of the "TGB" rake into Blue / Grey, with possibly a few ex VT Mk2s joining it to make a rake of it.

CosherB

Established Member
That's my understanding, Yes. Riviera are painting what they have left of the "TGB" rake into Blue / Grey, with possibly a few ex VT Mk2s joining it to make a rake of it.

Here's hoping so! The various Blue Pullman, IC, Great Western and Anglia Mk2s would look so much better in blue and grey, so that Riviera are down to 'only' two liveries!

Lankyline

Without getting into the WCRC debate, earlier this year a spokesman for Hoskins said that whilst they had no plans for setting up a charter company they would look to hire out their stock to other companies. Given WCRC's previous issues and also their indication to scale back some of their operations, it maybe that Mr Hoskins sees an opportunity here

CosherB

Established Member
..... earlier this year a spokesman for Hoskins said that whilst they had no plans for setting up a charter company they would look to hire out their stock to other companies.

Isn't that the definition for a charter company? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.