• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riviera/Hosking and Mk2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankyline

Isn't that the definition for a charter company? :lol:

Wrong choice of words on my part :lol: I can't find the original quote in Rail magazine but as far as I can remember they're not going the whole hog and setting up promoting tours........as yet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

colchesterken

I got myself thinking oops
Would it be viable for a heritage line to convert the mk2d s as at Southall to mk2a
They are a good modem design good bogies
Un plug air con, fit vac brakes, fit top light windows say about 1/2 window size so that enthusiasts can hang out of them. Good for 20 yrs service
Mk 1 s must be getting in short supply for the preservation movement

CosherB

Established Member
Would it be viable for a heritage line to convert the mk2d s as at Southall to mk2a
Un plug air con, fit vac brakes, fit top light windows say about 1/2 window size so that enthusiasts can hang out of them. Good for 20 yrs service

Nice idea, but economics of the madhouse. You'll also have the purists up in arms so the idea will upset everyone! :roll:

fgwrich

Established Member

Nice idea, but economics of the madhouse. You'll also have the purists up in arms so the idea will upset everyone! :roll:

Exactly. A Non Starter not least down to the fact you'd have to cut out and rebuild all the window frames as the earlier Mk2s were a different size and length. Ultimately, what would the point be?

alexl92

Established Member
How many Mk2A/B/Cs (ie pre-aircons?) still exist? I know Wensleydale have some and WCRC have too but I can't recall seeing many in photos etc. Or are they just not used much?

Also, I thought the MK2 aircons needed ETS for the air con... so how can they operate in a rake of Steam-hauled MK1s? I didn't see a Generator van in the CPFC charter the other day?

Tempest3K

How many Mk2A/B/Cs (ie pre-aircons?) still exist? I know Wensleydale have some and WCRC have too but I can't recall seeing many in photos etc. Or are they just not used much?

GCR(N) have a few MK2A's & a MK2B, not currently in traffic for various reasons

dubscottie

RPSI did it.. the windows on the 2d's stayed the same but are now steam heat..

jopsuk

Veteran Member

If openable windows were retrofitted to any stock they would be designed so that people cannot hang out of them, that's an absolute certainty

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Also, I thought the MK2 aircons needed ETS for the air con... so how can they operate in a rake of Steam-hauled MK1s? I didn't see a Generator van in the CPFC charter the other day?

The 67 on the back provided the ETS

WestCountry

Mid-Norfolk have about a dozen in two rakes, used on almost every non-DMU service.

sd0733

Established Member

As a side point maybe its time this thread was split/renamed as its no longer really about Riviera coaches at all.

Just to bring it back in, 3356, 3364, 3390 & 3397 are the four reported as being repainted B&G at RVEL - all former Great Briton set coaches.

sd0733

Established Member
Theres been a shunt round at Crewe so the coaches that arrived recently can no longer be seen. But while at work today an old RES mk1 arrived, 94522 I think it was, fairly sure that was moved away from Crewe a year or so ago.

CosherB

Established Member
WNXX reporting that the four ex-Great Briton FO carriages (3397, 3356, 3390 and 3364) repainted into blue and grey at RVEL Derby have been moved back to Burton. The photos posted show a high quality finish has been achieved, typical of the work at Derby at the moment. Going the other way are a further four Mk2s for repainting, two VTWC TSOs and a scruffy VTWC BSO, plus and even scruffier Blue Pullman TSO. :D

Harbornite

Established Member
On a slight tangent, does anyone know why Arlington has repainted Riviera BSO 9527 in ScotRail livery (minus contrasting doors)?

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202016/Galleries%20201607/20160718ArlingtonEastleighWorks/mk2bso9527eastleighworks18thjuly2016.html

I heard it was replacing another coach which is now going to Northern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
WNXX reporting that the four ex-Great Briton FO carriages (3397, 3356, 3390 and 3364) repainted into blue and grey at RVEL Derby have been moved back to Burton. The photos posted show a high quality finish has been achieved, typical of the work at Derby at the moment. Going the other way are a further four Mk2s for repainting, two VTWC TSOs and a scruffy VTWC BSO, plus and even scruffier Blue Pullman TSO. :D

They look excellent, a nice change to maroon.

fgwrich

Established Member

randyrippley

Established Member
talking of MkII coaches.........many years ago I rode in a MkII compartment coach which had the full depth windows of a/b/c stock but completely sealed single-pane glazing units. No opening pane at all. As far as I can remember it was the only such coach in the set and I think it was on a Waterloo-Exeter run. Any idea what is was? Were any of the C-stock ever actually converted to air-conditioning?

CosherB

Established Member
Three more freshly painted Mk2s in B&G back at Nemesis - 3303, 3314 and 6067. More B&G repaints to come apparently ..... 8-)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
talking of MkII coaches.........many years ago I rode in a MkII compartment coach which had the full depth windows of a/b/c stock but completely sealed single-pane glazing units. No opening pane at all. As far as I can remember it was the only such coach in the set and I think it was on a Waterloo-Exeter run. Any idea what is was? Were any of the C-stock ever actually converted to air-conditioning?

This sounds like 13396 it was a mk2 FK built around 1964 that was experimentally fitted with full air-conditioning equipment during 1967 and trialled on the ECML, eventually finding its way into the departmental fleet numbered 975290.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This sounds like 13396 it was a mk2 FK built around 1964 that was experimentally fitted with full air-conditioning equipment during 1967 and trialled on the ECML, eventually finding its way into the departmental fleet numbered 975290.

I did a search for that as I'd not heard of it before and Google bought up a load of pictures of handbags, which I was only slightly interested in. But then I found this: A photo of 975290 at Eastleigh by Shed83a.
Have you got a photo of it in BR days Mr Bridge I wonder?

Attachments

• IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 67

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to be clear this is a: Rare Coach 13396 (I kid you not!) Bonnie Orange Leather/straw fold over shoulder bag. Only $278. :lol:
I may have gone a bit off topic here

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 19

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Three more freshly painted Mk2s in B&G back at Nemesis - 3303, 3314 and 6067. More B&G repaints to come apparently ..... 8-)

Really looking forward to seeing a full rake in B&G. That'll bring back lots of memories. The 50 tour coming our way in a few weeks will be utilising them I believe, is that correct?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I did a search for that as I'd not heard of it before and Google bought up a load of pictures of handbags, which I was only slightly interested in. But then I found this: A photo of 975290 at Eastleigh by Shed83a.
Have you got a photo of it in BR days Mr Bridge I wonder?

Just to be clear this is a: Rare Coach 13396 (I kid you not!) Bonnie Orange Leather/straw fold over shoulder bag. Only $278. :lol:
I may have gone a bit off topic here

Firstly, is Mrs Cowley aware of your apparent handbag fetish Mr C? ;)

Sadly I don't think I do have any shots of it, so the question is was it just the compartment windows that were sealed as the ones on the corridor side are clearly not, I wonder if the OP can remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.