• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT announce strike dates across range of TOCs and Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
No doubt there will be early morning and late night cancellations either side of those dates, example I wouldn't now expect the 2317 Blackpool North > Manchester to run as it would encroach on a strike day, and there will be plenty of late evening trains covering some distance (so starting mid-evening) that end after midnight cancelled too, or cut short?
Strikes are based on crews booking on times. No one is expected to go home at midnight, having booked on the day before a strike day, and any member of staff taking such action individually could be disciplined, as their shift is not affected by a strike, and they have not been instructed by their union to take such action.

Whether or not a TOC takes a decision to cancel a late train as units may end up in the wrong place is their decision. I do expect some disruption to early trains on the days following strikes as signallers on night shifts, say working 10pm to 8am will not have booked on the previous night though.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

footprints

London Underground staff also striking in their own dispute over jobs, pay and conditions on Tuesday 21 June.

skyhigh

Established Member
No doubt there will be early morning and late night cancellations either side of those dates, example I wouldn't now expect the 2317 Blackpool North > Manchester to run as it would encroach on a strike day, and there will be plenty of late evening trains covering some distance (so starting mid-evening) that end after midnight cancelled too, or cut short?
The strike covers duties that book on from 00.01 to 23.59 on the day in question. So any trains running the previous evening shouldn't be affected (unless they need the units in particular locations that require cancellations or similar). Staff won't just walk off at 00.01.

Signal_Box

Will this make the Tories bring in legislation to deem ALL railway workers essential workers and remove the right to strike ? (such as for Police/Prison Officers)

Prison officers can, and have gone on strike.

Governor grades worked, cons under lock up as staffing dropped below minimum as you’d expect.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
No email or text for me at the moment, fantastic to get strike dates from social media than mg actual official union channels

Then they want me to strike !
Mass texts and emails can often take hours to get round everyone. I know at work Andrew Haines messages often arrive in my inbox either 2 hours before of after my colleague sitting next to me.

baz962

Established Member
Will this make the Tories bring in legislation to deem ALL railway workers essential workers and remove the right to strike ? (such as for Police/Prison Officers)
Well who knows. But without the police etc , safety and possibly loss of life could occur in extreme circumstances. Without rail staff , the above won't happen.

Howardh

Established Member
The strike covers duties that book on from 00.01 to 23.59 on the day in question. So any trains running the previous evening shouldn't be affected (unless they need the units in particular locations that require cancellations or similar). Staff won't just walk off at 00.01.
Thanks, so unless an unit is in the wrong place at the wrong time, those late evening trains should run.

scrapy

Established Member
Prison officers can, and have gone on strike.

Governor grades worked, cons under lock up as staffing dropped below minimum as you’d expect.
Since 2017, they can only take action under health and safety law (different to strike/industrial action) over safety where they are in danger and a court can (and has in the past) instruct them to go back to work. They cannot strike over pay or terms and conditions.

STINT47

I'll work from home on any days impacted by strikes, we've all done enough of it for the last two years and now use the office on selected days.

A strike on Saturday is more annoying but I'll treat myself to more time in bed and an easy day at home. Hopefully it will be sunny enough to use the garden.

james4578

Any idea if the dispute continues that the same days would be likely to be used, may all be up in the air though? I am due to travel on 6 July a Wednesday and the following days could be subject to cancellations, could possibly change plans.

Mintona

Established Member
So the government get to save three days of wages? They’ll be delighted and desperate for more of the same.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The RMT will lose any public goodwill the way they're going about this. And with a government desperate to get one over on the unions, it's unlikely they'll win.

Wonder what will happen on GTR considering they voted for action short of a strike iirc?

GB

Established Member
The RMT will lose any public goodwill the way they're going about this. And with a government desperate to get one over on the unions, it's unlikely they'll win.

Why do they need public goodwill and when have they ever had it during this type of industrial action?

gc4946

No mention on Cross Country's website about any forthcoming strikes yet.
I've booked journeys on Friday 5th August to Birmingham and return the folowing day.
My biggest concern is that strikes will take place during the Commonwealth Games in and around Birmingham.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Why do they need public goodwill and when have they ever had it during this type of industrial action?

With a populist right wing government, strong public feelings usually translate into policy decisions if Bigdog and co feel it will win them votes.

Saint66

Wonder what will happen on GTR considering they voted for action short of a strike iirc?
GTR will end up being dependent on how many NR staff and signallers are on duty… might be a minimal service, if that.

Mintona

Established Member
Staff will just work more overtime to make it back.

Many staff don’t work overtime at all, if everyone starts going for it it won’t be available.

Would not be at all surprised to see RDW agreements withdrawn by the TOCs.

bobblebob

I travel to London from Yorkshire on the 24th so wont technically be effected (although my Heathrow Express train will be the following day).

What are the chances the 24th days travel will be severely effected, with trains being out of position due to not running the previous day

Peregrine 4903

Established Member

Doesn't matter as network rail are striking.

They will be running 20% of full service.
They will

Efini92

Established Member
No mention on Cross Country's website about any forthcoming strikes yet.
I've booked journeys on Friday 5th August to Birmingham and return the folowing day.
My biggest concern is that strikes will take place during the Commonwealth Games in and around Birmingham.
I’d imagine that’s a given If this dispute carries on. The RMT will want maximum disruption.

baz962

Established Member

I'm not sure that there isn't any public goodwill. On other social media sites I have seen plenty of non railway staff commenting that good on the unions and staff. Also enough of the public were appalled at what happened with the airlines, British gas and p&o. I'm not necessarily saying they would have massive support , but it won't be zero. Not forgetting that apparently the railways are not used by 90 odd percent of the population and are irrelevant, or so we keep getting told.

Efini92

Established Member
Many staff don’t work overtime at all, if everyone starts going for it it won’t be available.

Would not be at all surprised to see RDW agreements withdrawn by the TOCs.
Do the RMT control RDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.