• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT dispute on Merseyrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Speed limits have also reduced due to drive-on-sight.

Of course the FLIRTs will solve that a different way - level no-gap boarding is provided by a moving step rather than the platforms being very close to the trains. Only the height needs to be adjusted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Speed limits have also reduced due to drive-on-sight.

Trams switch between line of sight and NR signalling at Timperley. Southbound trams are pretty much always stopped at a red signal in the Timperley area due to having to wait for a northbound tram to clear the single track section.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
No probs. It's interesting to compare the speedo reading with an accurate value via GPS.

Even those electronic speed indicator signs you get sometimes, usually at the start of a 30mph limit, will confirm that your actual speed is probably about 2-3mph lower than your speedo suggests.

Chester1

Established Member
Probably the wrong thread to debate the merits of trams vs trains etc. The relevance to Merseyrail is level boarding allows people with disabilities to board the train without needing help from the guard.

Level crossings on Southport and West Kirby lines are a concern for Merseyrail DOO. Some money saved through opperating DOO could be spent on closing the user opperated crossings. The ones on the West Kirby line could be closed by building several hundred metres of gravel track to connect the small number (probably a dozen) dwellings cut off. Probably a footbridge would be needed too for the foot paths. There is sufficient space to close both automatic crossings if necessary. I don't know the area well but the user opperated crossings on the Southport line must be able to be closed too, there are so many automatic level crossings any diversions required would be relatively short!

robertclark125

Established Member
But what you have to remember is, building a gravel path of several hundred metres isn't straightforward. You need to apply to the relevant authority to divert a public right of way. They might object, and refuse permission.

pemma

Veteran Member
According to Liverpool Echo the guards have the support of the public.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyrail-strikes-working-echo-readers-13809943
Sam

The question they seem to have been asked is do they want just a driver on the train or a driver and guard on the train. I wonder what people would say if they are asked would they pay extra to keep a guard, or would they accept CSAs on board instead of guards if it meant fares don't rise as much.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The question they seem to have been asked is do they want just a driver on the train or a driver and guard on the train. I wonder what people would say if they are asked would they pay extra to keep a guard, or would they accept CSAs on board instead of guards if it meant fares don't rise as much.

I think they mostly want a second member of staff, I don't think they genuinely care who does the doors.

pemma

Veteran Member
I think they mostly want a second member of staff, I don't think they genuinely care who does the doors.

Indeed. Some of the local news reports show that some passengers think Northern already operate services without guards, so those passengers are clearly under the impression that no staff member walking through the train means it's driver only. About 15 years ago when I was catching some early services I used to think that - people in TOC uniforms were often travelling on the train as passengers and I could be on the train for 20 or more minutes before I saw the guard so I was sometimes under the impression that the first part of the service had been operated without a guard, with a guard boarding part way along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Kirkby-South Parkway? Are they expecting people to cross the picket lines or reduced services elsewhere?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Labour would scrap any further doo
I thought mersey was labour led

You are correct, Merseytravel is controlled by the Labour council.

(Labour can promise many things when are not in power, it is carrying out those promises once into power is the thing which matters).

Established Member
You are correct, Merseytravel is controlled by the Labour council.

(Labour can promise many things when are not in power, it is carrying out those promises once into power is the thing which matters).

Applies to anyone when not in power, take London Underground ticket offices when in opposition Boris Johnson said he would make sure NO ticket offices would close if he was elected (which to many is a vote winner). What happened when he was in power he CLOSED every single London Underground ticket office. So even tories go back on promises, as we know only to well.

Merseytravel is not entirely run by Labour, i think you will find it is a consortium of people from across the political spectrum: This Link lists every one of them 28 in total http://moderngov.merseytravel.uk.net/mgMemberIndex.aspx?VW=TABLE&PIC=1&FN=

Moving Merseyside Forward

Home

Home > Authority and Democracy > Your Councillors

Calendar
Your Councillors
26 Councillors from the six Districts of the Liverpool City Region are appointed to the Transport Committee of the Combined Authority to represent their Districts and take a strategic approach to transport.

Local Councillors are elected by the community to decide how councils should carry out their various activities. They represent public interest as well as individuals living within the ward in which he or she has been elected to serve a term of office.

They have regular contact with the general public through council meetings, telephone calls or surgeries. Surgeries provide an opportunity for any ward resident to go and talk their councillor face to face and these take place on a regular basis.

Councillors are not paid a salary for their work, but they do receive allowances. By law, all members of the Authority are required to complete a declaration of interest form, the details of which are held as a public record.

To find your councillor please use the below links:

Councillor
Photograph
Councillor
Political party
District

Councillor Ron Abbey

Lead Member Bus

45 Cameron Road, Leasowe, Wirral, Merseyside, CH46 1PH

Home: 0151 638 9601

Work: [email protected]

Labour Wirral

Councillor John Bradshaw

54 Clifton Road, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 4SZ

Home: 01928 561813

Conservative Halton

Councillor Anthony Carr

10 Birchtree Drive, Melling, Liverpool, Merseyside, L31 1DE

Labour Sefton

Councillor Tom Crone

c/o Minority Group Office, 6th Floor, Cunard Building, Liverpool, L3 1QB

Work: 0151 233 0428

Green Party Liverpool

Councillor Gareth Cross

Home: 01744 675589

Labour St. Helens

Councillor Keith Deakin

Home: 01744 678962

Labour St. Helens

Councillor John Dodd

43 Lime Street, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 6BZ

Home: 01704 510134

Merseytravel Alliance Sefton

Councillor Gillian Flatley

10 Beech Meadows, Prescot, Knowsley, Merseyside, L34 1PS

Home: 07713 818 795

Home mobile: 0755 784 9406

Home: [email protected]

Labour Knowsley

Councillor Steve Foulkes

Lead Member Finance and Organisational Development

12 Buckingham Avenue, Prenton, Wirral, CH43 8TD

Labour Wirral

Councillor Gordon Friel

Lead Member Rail and Freight

6 Wasdale Avenue, Maghull, Liverpool, Merseyside, L31 9DN

Home: 0151 476 1644

Labour Sefton

Councillor Harry Howard

3 Priory Close, Halton Village, Runcorn, WA7 2BN

Home: 01928 560951

Labour Halton

Councillor Allan Jones

Home: 01744 893367

Home mobile: 07715254692

Conservative St. Helens

Councillor Ken McGlashan

Lead Member Ferries and Visitor Economy

67 Fairclough Road, Huyton, Liverpool, Merseyside, L36 3UP

Home: 0151 489 7209

Labour Knowsley

Councillor Patrick McKinley

4 Ripley Close, Maghull, Liverpool, Merseyside, L31 6BD

Home: 0151 526 2339

Home mobile: 0784 308 5872

Labour Sefton

Councillor Veronica McNeill

1 Glencroft Close, Huyton, Knowsley, L36 3XT

Home: 0151 292 6710

Labour Co-operative Knowsley

Councillor Nathalie Nicholas

c/o Labour Group Office, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1QB

Home: [email protected]

Labour Liverpool

Councillor Ged Philbin

146 Barrows Green Lane, Widnes, WA8 3JJ

Home: 0151 4951625

Labour Halton

Councillor Mary Rasmussen

Lead Member Tunnels, Highways and the Key Route Network

30 Gerneth Road, Liverpool, Merseyside, L24 1UN

Work: 0151 225 2366

Labour Liverpool

Councillor Keith Roberts

6 Sycamore Avenue, Haydock, St Helens, Merseyside, WA11 0JP

Work: 01744 678931

Home mobile: 0774 042 2757

Labour St. Helens

Councillor Liam Robinson

Chair

54 Swan Crescent, Liverpool, Merseyside, L15 8AL

Work: 0151 330 1095

Labour Liverpool

Councillor Les Rowlands

63 Sandham Grove, Heswall Hills, Wirral, Merseyside, CH60 1XN

Home: 0151 342 2454

Merseytravel Alliance Wirral

Councillor John Stockton

Lead Member Customer Care and Smart Ticketing

61 Walsingham Drive, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 1XB

Labour Halton

Councillor Pam Thomas

Labour Group Office, Cunard Buildings, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1QB

Work: 0151 233 0420

Labour Liverpool

Councillor Jerry Williams

49 Parkhill Road, Prenton, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH42 9JD

Home: 0151 608 3769

Labour Wirral

Councillor Jeremy Wolfson

c/o Labour Group Office, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1QB

Work: 01512330420

Labour Liverpool

Councillor Mike Wynn

3 Hope Street, Prescot, Knowsley, L34 6HB

Home: 0151 493 0834

Home mobile: 07557004125

Liberal Democrats Knowsley

Merseytravel, PO Box 1976, Liverpool, L69 3HN
Tel: 0151 227 5181 | Fax: 0151 330 1234
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree that the majority are Labour but i bet the minority parties have as much say as the main party.

I have deleted the pictures of the individuals as they are more then can be allowed to be posted.

kw12

I agree that the majority are Labour but i bet the minority parties have as much say as the main party.

Really?

Is that for all decisions or just those decisions where you do not agree with the decision made?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Labour would scrap any further doo
I thought mersey was labour led
Corbyn has said his government would (and by implication micro manage the railways to a degree never seen before in this country, except perhaps with the current government). Merseyrail is controlled by the local authority, not the government. It wouldn't be the first time that local and national government of the same political party disagree.

M28361M

The Labour Mayor of Liverpool has this morning criticised the RMT strike while at the same time supporting the separate strike by Arriva bus drivers. The Liverpool Echo has quotes from him:

Mayor Anderson said that compromise is needed - but said to argue that the new trains will be less safe than the current fleet is “a nonsense.”

He said: “The issue for me is that these new trains are not unsafe - they don’t have locked carriages.

“The issues about people being on the trains and what goes on are a society issue, not a transport issue.

“The reality is it is anti-social behaviour and it is a people problem and we do need to be policing this stuff.

“I am not saying that you wouldn’t want a guard on a train going from Liverpool to Southport after 8pm on a Friday night.

“But I don’t believe that coming from Wirral at 8am in the morning to Liverpool, when the train is packed with people, needs a guard on it - there are occasions when it simply isn’t needed.”

He said: “I am not anti-RMT, but there needs to be a compromise - they are losing the good will of the people.

“Merseyrail have said there will be no compulsory redundancies, there will be negotiations - I think there is a compromise to be had.

“If the public want guards but also want modern trains then there could have to be fare increases, people want modern trains.”

“The RMT demand - which is for everything to stay as it is - is unreasonable.”

“To argue that the new trains are not as safe as the old ones is nonsense.”

Worth nothing that Joe Anderson is generally not thought to be from the "Corbynista" wing of the party, so he may disagree with the official party line on guards.

fowler9

Established Member
The Labour Mayor of Liverpool has this morning criticised the RMT strike while at the same time supporting the separate strike by Arriva bus drivers. The Liverpool Echo has quotes from him:

Worth nothing that Joe Anderson is generally not thought to be from the "Corbynista" wing of the party, so he may disagree with the official party line on guards.
Joe Anderson is a clown.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Unless I'm getting confused with all the RMT - DOO arguments going on over the country, isn't this one on Merseyside the most difficult of all of them to justify ? - new trains, clear statement of objectives from the outset, Labour-controlled authority etc etc ?

pemma

Veteran Member
Unless I'm getting confused with all the RMT - DOO arguments going on over the country, isn't this one on Merseyside the most difficult of all of them to justify ? - new trains, clear statement of objectives from the outset, Labour-controlled authority etc etc ?

Labour MPs are trying to mislead the public. MP Dan Carden has been protesting outside Dutch Embassy: https://twitter.com/DanCardenMP I hope the Dutch Embassy put in an official complaint about his disgraceful behaviour.

Established Member
Joe Anderson is a clown.
That article is a disgrace to the hardworking rail workers-he's basically saying 'bus drivers work hard (which is true) and deserve to fight for better pay to match the work they do (which is also true) but f*** the guards, they should just take whatever Merseytravel throw at them' I note he makes no mention of the drivers who also refuse to cross the picket line in solidarity with their guards...

pemma

Veteran Member
That article is a disgrace to the hardworking rail workers-he's basically saying 'bus drivers work hard (which is true) and deserve to fight for better pay to match the work they do (which is also true) but f*** the guards, they should just take whatever Merseytravel throw at them' I note he makes no mention of the drivers who also refuse to cross the picket line in solidarity with their guards...

Joe Anderson is probably being more honest than other Labour politicians who say they are anti-DOO and try to point the blame at Dutch owned Abellio, when it's Labour controlled Merseytravel who are to blame. If Anderson said he was 100% behind the strikes he would be a hypocrite.

fowler9

Established Member
Joe Anderson is probably being more honest than other Labour politicians who say they are anti-DOO and try to point the blame at Dutch owned Abellio, when it's Labour controlled Merseytravel who are to blame. If Anderson said he was 100% behind the strikes he would be a hypocrite.
He is still a clown.

Moonshot

Established Member
He is still a clown.

You could apply for his role if you wish......and if you happen to be successful, I daresay ( no offence intended ) some forumite would call you a clown......because that is the nature of politics.

6Gman

Established Member
I know this will change nobody's mind, but ...

I was at Liverpool Central a few days ago. A six-car train was awaiting departure. The Guard (who looked about 19, but that's me getting old :) ) was at her door looking along the train, finger on the controls. As the doors started to close somebody ran close to the train. "Move away from the train" she called, but the guy jumped - just - through the closing door. She looked carefully to check he had boarded safely and then pressed two buzzes and away.

There was a member of platform staff present, but he was talking to a passenger with his back to the train. The driver ... was driving.

To me it made the case for Guards to close doors ...

Status
Not open for further replies.