• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT dispute on Merseyrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&I

Established Member
Why do Northern guards have more cause for concern? Northern plan to have 2 members of staff on all services and will introduce many additional services, so worse case scanerio is they continue being paid a guard's salary but don't do door and dispatch duties on every service they work.

On the other hand Merseyrail guards need to be found 'alternative employment' which might be trainee driver for some but it could be station cleaner for the unlucky ones.

It seems the underlying reason for the Arriva bus dispute is harmonisation of different contracts with staff at former MTL depots getting paid less.

Have Northern given the same 'no redundancy' promise as Merseyrail? And who will be providing this second member of staff, given Northern's enthusiasm for minimum wage contractor staff at stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
^ The second member of staff has to be an employee of the franchise as per the franchise agreement. Northern offered a no redundancy agreement to the RMT but the RMT haven't accepted anything.

nuneatonmark

More strikes. Two possible main outcomes from these. Either Labour get in at the next election, then, bullied by the unions either stick to the status quo or give train drivers a massive pay rise and suddenly the union 'forgets' the 'safety' issues OR some people realise that this is the future under Jeremy Corbyn and elect a majority Tory government, god help us! Talk about between a rock and hard place! In a sensible world, the unions and management would sort out a settlement that addresses any real safety concerns without going on strike, but then again for both parties it's never been about safety really has it, it's all about money!

pemma

Veteran Member
More strikes. Two possible main outcomes from these. Either Labour get in at the next election, then, bullied by the unions either stick to the status quo or give train drivers a massive pay rise and suddenly the union 'forgets' the 'safety' issues OR some people realise that this is the future under Jeremy Corbyn and elect a majority Tory government, god help us! Talk about between a rock and hard place! In a sensible world, the unions and management would sort out a settlement that addresses any real safety concerns without going on strike, but then again for both parties it's never been about safety really has it, it's all about money!

The RMT, as usual, have lumped all the DOO disputes together and blamed them on the Tories, despite the fact they know that it's the local Labour politicians who want DOO on Merseyrail.

RMT said:
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:

“Every single effort that RMT has made to reach negotiated settlements in these separate disputes with the different train operating companies over safe operation and safe staffing has been kicked back in our faces and we are left with no option but to confirm a further phase of industrial action in the New Year. No one should be in any doubt, these disputes are about putting the safety of the travelling public before the profits of the private train companies

“It is frankly ludicrous that we have been able to negotiate long-term arrangements in Scotland and Wales that protect the guards and passenger safety but we are being denied the same opportunities with rail companies in England. This suspension of normal industrial relations by the employers has to end if we are to make progress towards a solution that guarantees safe rail travel for all.

“RMT is in no doubt that it is the dead hand of the minority Tory Government that is interfering in these disputes and that their influence is a factor in preventing the union from reaching negotiated settlements. With fare increases kicking in on the 2nd January it is outrageous that Theresa May and Chris Grayling are happy to stand aside and cheer on overseas rail companies that rip-off the British passenger with eye-watering far increases to subsidise their domestic transport operations while throwing the guards off our trains.

“RMT is demanding today that the blockade on talks is lifted in these separate disputes to allow us to negotiate freely with the companies and give us the opportunity to pursue the objective of a guard guarantee that puts British passenger safety before the rank exploitation of our rail network by fare-jacking private companies who are laughing all the way to the bank. If it’s good enough for Wales and Scotland to put safety first then it’s good enough for the rest of the UK.

“RMT stands ready for talks in each of these separate disputes.”

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-announces-doo-strike-action-in-new-year/

Goldfish62

Established Member
The RMT, as usual, have lumped all the DOO disputes together and blamed them on the Tories, despite the fact they know that it's the local Labour politicians who want DOO on Merseyrail.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-announces-doo-strike-action-in-new-year/
While with Brexit being on the same side as the extreme Brexiters in the Tory party, who would wish to see workers rights removed. What a strange world we live in. I simply don't know who is on my side any more.

Established Member
Merseyrail'a propoganda team have sunk to a new level and took out 4 full pages in today's Metro newspaper in Merseyside (front and back pages, both sides of the actual sheet of newspaper) with the propoganda they've put up at all the stations.

Remember when GTR Southern did this...? They were rightfully slated for it and the 'strike back' campaign was pulled very quickly!

I dread to think how much money Merseyrail have wasted on this very public attack on the guards, deliberately timed to go out just 2 days before the next strike-and on the same day the RMT would announce 3 more strike days. It makes me genuinely livid that this is what Merseyrail/Merseytravel have chosen to spend presumably an awful lot of good money which could be put to FAR better use!

387star

On Moderation
I find an attack on unions and the want to turn the public against frontline staff very depressing

Established Member
I find an attack on unions and the want to turn the public against frontline staff very depressing
Couldn't agree more. It's also had the (I'm sure) desired effect that the propoganda is spread throughout the trains and buses all across Merseyside!

I've found about 5 papers with "KEEP TRAIN GUARDS" or similar scrawled across the front cover. Seems I wasn't the only person doing that whenever I found a copy of the Metro today!

387star

On Moderation
From.the Merseyrail website ...

SWR really do Cover a large area No Wonder Franchises Are Being Looked At

'Three 24-hour strikes will take place on Monday 8, Wednesday 10 and Friday 12 January 2018, and will coincide with industrial action by members on Northern, Greater Anglia, South Western and Island Line (Isle of Man).'

6Gman

Established Member
Merseyrail'a propoganda team have sunk to a new level and took out 4 full pages in today's Metro newspaper in Merseyside (front and back pages, both sides of the actual sheet of newspaper) with the propoganda they've put up at all the stations.

Remember when GTR Southern did this...? They were rightfully slated for it and the 'strike back' campaign was pulled very quickly!

I dread to think how much money Merseyrail have wasted on this very public attack on the guards, deliberately timed to go out just 2 days before the next strike-and on the same day the RMT would announce 3 more strike days. It makes me genuinely livid that this is what Merseyrail/Merseytravel have chosen to spend presumably an awful lot of good money which could be put to FAR better use!

A relative of mine was on the Southport - Hunts Cross train which struck (and killed) someone this morning. Not going into detail, but the presence of two members of staff was invaluable.

Unfortunate timing by Merseyrail in the circumstances.

pemma

Veteran Member

More likely the RMT have timed their annoucement to coincide with the newspaper spread than the other way around. It's unusual for the RMT to announce strike days more than 14 days in advance of the first date or before the previous strike has taken place.

Established Member
Are you serious ?

He's right. According to Merseyrail website, SWR's Island Line is somewhere near Laxey. They're a militant lot them kipper eating Manxmen, you know.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-21 at 07.34.50.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-21 at 07.34.50.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 30

Carlisle

Established Member
He's right. According to Merseyrail website, SWR's Island Line is somewhere near Laxey. They're a militant lot them kipper eating Manxmen, you know.
Cheers sometime clearly needs to get out a wee bit more

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Exactly. 'They coped with it' and 'the prescence of two staff members was invaluable' are VERY different statements!

For LU the presence of dispatchers with hand held devices connected to the platform's PA system is probably more effective than a guard.

Class83

Interestingly today Merseyrail today managed an extra diagram, used in the morning from Southport-Liverpool Central and the afternoon from Liverpool Central-Maguhull, I recon that leaves them only 1 more driver away from being able to run half hourly Southport-Liverpool South Parkway on strike days, or possibly allows the extra time to extend the Hooton runs to Chester.

Are they currently relying on managers who used to be drivers, non ASLEF members or are some ASLEF members crossing (as they are not in the same group, allowed/supposed to) the RMT picket line?

Foxcote

I know from a chat I had with a very high up manager of Merseyrail some years ago that they have gone full circle on what they preached at that time. I'm not saying any more about this though due to confidentiality. However, much has happened on Merseyrail since then. One idiot getting five years for negligence didn't help.

Sent in error, see next post

Last edited:

Foxcote

Wings overyorks posted: “I know from a chat I had with a very high up manager of Merseyrail some years ago that they have gone full circle on what they preached at that time. I'm not saying any more about this though due to confidentiality.”

I believe that I know the Manager concerned and that the thinking at the time was that all trains running on the underground section would continue to have guards. Guards would be in place on the Wirral line between Birkenhead Park and Birkenhead Central. This made sense, as many incidents on the underground section could be better dealt with by two qualified staff.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Glad I didn't have to travel from Piccadilly, Oxford Road or Warrington to Liverpool today.

pemma

Veteran Member
RMT are to storm Liverpool Town Hall tomorrow afternoon as they claim local councillors aren't taking any notice of them, even though a couple of weeks ago they were making the dubious claim that Liverpool City Council opposed DOO.

Chester1

Established Member
RMT are to storm Liverpool Town Hall tomorrow afternoon as they claim local councillors aren't taking any notice of them, even though a couple of weeks ago they were making the dubious claim that Liverpool City Council opposed DOO.

I am surprised they are taking action that will draw attention to it not being a union vs evil tories issue!

Robertj21a

On Moderation

There's probably a very good reason for the councillors not taking any notice of them !

On past experience, the RMT will probably come over to others as outdated and disorganised, but intent on conveying their views about FatCats, foreign ownership, Thatcher etc etc......

pemma

Veteran Member
I am surprised they are taking action that will draw attention to it not being a union vs evil tories issue!

They shot themselves in the foot when they put out a press release calling for Steve Rotheram (probably the most left wing politician in Merseyside) to back their campaign to keep guards on Merseyrail trains, with Rotheram ignoring them and backing Merseytravel instead.

However, they are trying to make it sound like it's evil Dutch Abellio wanting to make the changes with local councillors not having the backbone to stand up to them, opposed to Abellio (jointly with Serco) doing what the local councillors want them to do in accordance with their contract with Merseytravel. I'm surprised Abellio haven't tried to sue the RMT for libel, especially John Tilley's claim that Abellio want to trial an unsafe system here before they trial it in their homeland.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Union leaders who earn that much money need to be careful about strikes stopping ordinary workers who earn a ninth of that from getting to their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.