• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT dispute on Merseyrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

74A

I hope the guard operates the doors using the monitors in the rear cab. You would get a time saving of 15-20 seconds a stop as they won't need to get in and close their local door.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
I hope the guard operates the doors using the monitors in the rear cab. You would get a time saving of 15-20 seconds a stop as they won't need to get in and close their local door.

Ha! I really don’t think the RMT would do that!

Established Member
You can get the local door closed and away in no more than 8-10 seconds on a 323 and a full dispatch in 20 seconds.

If it's 20 seconds to close a local door and away on a new commuter train, then I think that's a manufacturer issue.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it's 20 seconds to close a local door and away on a new commuter train, then I think that's a manufacturer issue.

One particular design issue that needs to be resolved here is that there is no need for the hustle alarm to sound when closing a local door (if the regs require it, they need changing). The member of staff knows they have pressed the close button, and they are there to verbally instruct people to stand back until the door is closed. This would easily save about 3-5 seconds from a passenger-door dispatch. Doesn't sound much, but 5 seconds multiplied by about 15 stops is a minute and a quarter (think the likes of the Southport line).

Similarly, a lot of time can be saved by following SWT/SWR's example of not requiring the guard to step out and do a platform check if he knows already that the train is platformed based for instance on where it is stopped in relation to a marker. That's easily another 5-7 seconds per station (and makes guard release pretty much equally quick as driver release).

hwl

Established Member
One particular design issue that needs to be resolved here is that there is no need for the hustle alarm to sound when closing a local door (if the regs require it, they need changing). The member of staff knows they have pressed the close button, and they are there to verbally instruct people to stand back until the door is closed. This would easily save about 3-5 seconds from a passenger-door dispatch. Doesn't sound much, but 5 seconds multiplied by about 15 stops is a minute and a quarter (think the likes of the Southport line).

Similarly, a lot of time can be saved by following SWT/SWR's example of not requiring the guard to step out and do a platform check if he knows already that the train is platformed based for instance on where it is stopped in relation to a marker. That's easily another 5-7 seconds per station (and makes guard release pretty much equally quick as driver release).
And shed load more time probably soon to be saved on SWR with ABDO on the 701s...
SWR door release is painfully slow.

The reality is that the size of the Merseytravel rolling stock order was predicated on the speeding up of timing due to DOO and improved rolling stock performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.