• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rmt look set to go to war...

Status
Not open for further replies.

syorksdeano

Are the RMT already in dispute with Avanti West Coast, or has Mick Cash already started on the Christmas brandy?

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-on-new-ownership-of-west-coast-franchise/

RMT Press Office:

‎General Secretary Mick Cash said; "However they dress it up this is the same old privatised nonsense with a fresh lick of paint and a new livery.

The only long term solution to the great rail rip off is public ownership and it is frankly disgusting that the public route wasn't even considered by the Tories when Virgin were banned from the railway.

"As ever on the private rail franchise merry-go-round this is very much "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" for RMT and we will take whatever action is required to defend our members jobs, pay and conditions."

Ends
[\quote]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mpthomson

syorksdeano

That's why I put that they are set to go to war. I'm only a passenger and whilst I agree with a majority of what the RMT are arguing about, Mick Cash is portraying himself as a bit of a prat

ComUtoR

Established Member
How is that different to Jeremy Corbyn et. al. also calling for nationalization ? The franchise system is broken and currently under review. I don't know the system well enough to specifically call it out but it kinda makes a mockery of the upcoming Williams Review.

Franchising is dead, long live the franchise.

mpthomson

That's why I put that they are set to go to war. I'm only a passenger and whilst I agree with a majority of what the RMT are arguing about, Mick Cash is portraying himself as a bit of a prat

The likely consequence of continued intransigence and hostility plus continued industrial action from the RMT is that a future Conservative government will just introduce legislation that restricts unions further. If that happens it will be an entirely self-inflicted wound by the union.

kieron

Established Member
You would have thought that a more sensible approach would be to attempt to hold constructive discussions re First’s intentions for the franchise rather than just launch into another ill-advised rant....
I believe he's already held discussions with the incoming management. The press release doesn't mention anything specific about First/Trenitalia's proposals, so I think this press release is to say that he was satisfied with what they said. There are other ways to say this, but this is his.

Does anyone know if they were in a dispute with Virgin in the run up to the handover?

You just need to see who is in charge of First Uk Rail and current industrial relations at SWR to know that there’s trouble brewing....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
He’s just started early on the Toilet Duck.
You would have thought that a more sensible approach would be to attempt to hold constructive discussions re First’s intentions for the franchise rather than just launch into another ill-advised rant....

With a sly kick at Virgin on the side.
West Coast must be one of the best franchises for his members with many benefits over the years and few disputes, none of them about DOO.

syorksdeano

I believe he's already held discussions with the incoming management. The press release doesn't mention anything specific about First/Trenitalia's proposals, so I think this press release is to say that he was satisfied with what they said. There are other ways to say this, but this is his.

I'm not to sure because of the bottom of tat statement that says this

"As ever on the private rail franchise merry-go-round this is very much "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" for RMT and we will take whatever action is required to defend our members jobs, pay and conditions."

To me that says either he's beating his chest warning them, or if talks have taken place he's not happy with them.

But then again from reading his other press releases, it would take a few pints to try and understand what he means.

Class83

Bob Crow seemed to know how to get his members a pay rise with the threat of, or possibly one day of, a strike.

Mick Cash just seems to have people out on strike more than they are in work.

mpthomson

Does anyone know if they were in a dispute with Virgin in the run up to the handover?

Sorry I don’t take that from it at all. The tone is entirely out of kilter with that having happened. It’s another ridiculous OTT press release, sorry- rant, that any competent press officer would have canned before it got out.

Journeyman

Established Member
Bob Crow seemed to know how to get his members a pay rise with the threat of, or possibly one day of, a strike.

Mick Cash just seems to have people out on strike more than they are in work.

Bob Crow's politics were a million miles from mine, but he knew which battles to fight, and was able to weigh up when to walk out with some skill. He also had a lot of respect from his opponents, who knew he could drive a hard bargain. He was an intelligent man who did a lot to advance the well-being of rail staff.

In comparison, Cash comes across as a shouty idiot, who has just about destroyed the union's credibility with the government and the public.

That said, a lot of people seem to want Avanti to fail, simply because it's not Virgin.

Raul_Duke

I say this as an ASLEF member and someone who is very supportive of trades unions:

But this d**k waving Citizen Smith bull**** caricature of a 70’s shop steward does nobody any favours.

If the political climate goes the way it’s predicted next week then he’s going to regret alienating the public in the way he is.

Journeyman

Established Member
I say this as an ASLEF member and someone who is very supportive of trades unions:

But this d**k waving Citizen Smith bull**** caricature of a 70’s shop steward does nobody any favours.

If the political climate goes the way it’s predicted next week then he’s going to regret alienating the public in the way he is.

Absolutely agree. I've been a member of several unions in my career, and have benefitted a great deal from that, but he's living in a fantasy world and completely out of touch with reality. I'm convinced he's determined to make a franchise fail, and that's pretty much his sole motivation.

greaterwest

Established Member
Looks like posturing to me, there are no specifics in that article.

tbtc

Veteran Member
It's funny when trains getting "a fresh lick of paint" has people getting their knickers in a twist so much - how many billions of pounds do the RMT think that a tin of paint costs? Did BR not re-paint trains every few years anyway? I certainly remember a lot of tinkering with liveries (how many versions of InterCity did they get through in a short space of time?)

No mention of the fact that the drivers have been opening the doors on Virgin Trains for some time though?

Established Member
it is just a press release to get a bit of air time on the back of a TOC change. Nothing to see here.
Exactly right.

The only thing that surprises me is that Manuel Cortes isn't trying to out rant him on behalf of the TSSA. Nowadays it seems to be a competition between them on who can shout loudest and most irrationally on any given subject in the industry.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
it is just a press release to get a bit of air time on the back of a TOC change. Nothing to see here.
Yes, and it is well known the RMT aren't that great with their public words at the moment.

Nothing worthy of discussion and this would only end up with bickering so locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.