• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Strike Action - Virgin West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having read this thread, I am not surprised to see the reaction from the usual suspects on here. ...
Yep, the usual suspects are defending the RMT as usual.
I am going to personally message the Mods on here and invite them to withdraw that statement about the RMT being bonkers,
The RMT are bonkers!
Agreed.

I think the fact that she has previous “form” with both Virgin and Northern should start the alarm bells ringing but it seems not. I can’t help thinking that this kind of person goes looking for issues.....after all it makes good viewing for her vlog........

As I have said in a previous career I worked with children who were severely on the autistic spectrum so understand the condition quite well. Autistic people DO tend to see things in a very black and white way and I suspect that includes people on this forum.
I refer you to this post: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...stance-incident-at-crewe.182919/#post-4011431
I managed to find the video. It's quite a frustrating watch, with endless histrionics and weeping, as well as some very put-upon station staff. The TM doesn't make too much of an appearance, but more on her later:
A number of things spring to mind:

1) I've come across this woman before - likely on this site, from a previous incident?
2) It seems the only issue was that the TM was someone that "Agony Autie" complained about before and this is the reason she was denied travel. The TM seems to suggest that the complainant has been abusive to her in the past. In the video, the complainant asserts that the TM "was disciplined". I used to work for Virgin in their complaints team and can categorically say that at no point would the internal outcome or any disciplinary following any complaint be made known to a complainant. This does not happen.
3) The complainant is a very difficult and unpleasant person who cannot manage conflict. The complainant does literally nothing to assist in any de-escalation, becomes needlessly hysterical, etc etc. This is likely at least in part due to her autism.
4) I feel sorry for the station staff who were put in a very awkward position.
5) Regardless of whether the complainant is or is not a difficult person, I feel sure she has been treated less fairly than someone without a disability. None of us can say whether or not she has been abusive in the past. This notwithstanding, had she been able-bodied, she would have simply got on the train without fuss and the TM likely unaware of their presence.
6) I feel this incident raises issues surrounding the concept "it's the guard's train, whatever they say goes" - yes, but up to a point.
7) I don't get why the TM felt so unable to convey the complainant one stop to Chester, a journey of what, 20-25 minutes?
8) The whole situation seems to stem mostly from the TM exercising unnecessary power over the complainant, when it would seem easier to just let them travel.
9) I believe this is the train: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y81538/2019/05/17/advanced - it accrued a 22 minute delay at Crewe solely due to this incident, and ended 28 late at destination. That's disruption for hundreds of people on the train and failed PPM with associated performance penalty for the TOC.
10) The TM was allegedly calling the police on the complainant at the time the video was shot. It is not clear exactly why, but it cannot have been for something terribly serious as other staff intervened and treated her with quite a lot of respect given the circumstances.

The TM should have just let the complainant travel. Nobody comes out of this looking good, but I wouldn't like to be Virgin defending a discrimination claim here!
There are ways to deal with challenging situations, and there are ways not to deal with them. The video clearly shows the vast majority of Virgin Trains staff dealing with the issue in a professional manner, and offering to take the (difficult) customer to their home in a taxi.

I'm sure you will have dealt with extremely challenging people in your previous job, as I have had to do myself, but you and I both know that we can't go acting in a manner that is not consistent with how your employers want you to behave. If anyone wants to act contrary to that then they are in the wrong job.

Just because you are facing a challenging individual does not mean you should not do your job properly. All the other Virgin staff at the station did act in a fit and proper manner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazzaa2

Virgin has lots of staff in jobs they have been promoted to from lower roles, many have had no training and are under pressure to perform. Lots of managers looking out for each other.

Give a verbal warning and send them off to customer service training would have been a sufficient response at most. Surely there must have been previous misdemeanous or it's extremely harsh.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Move on.

Such threads have no chance of being discussed sensibly on this forum.

Digest that however you want.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A brief update on this matter. It would appear to be resolved Virgin have announced that the strike action has been called off and the RMT have released the following statement:

ALL ACTION SUSPENDED!

DISMISSAL, REBECCA HUGHES, TRAIN MANAGER, HOLYHEAD - VIRGIN WEST COAST

I write to advise you that talks were held at ACAS this week to try to resolve this dispute over the case of your fellow Train Manager colleague Rebecca Hughes. At the meeting attended by the lead officer and your company council reps agreement was reached which was unanimously recommended to your NEC for approval. The details of this agreement are confidential and cannot be divulged.

Having considered the recommendation of our reps the NEC has decided to suspend the strike action called for 19th November 2019 and members are therefore instructed to work normally. I would like to play tribute to the solidarity and support shown by you and your colleagues for Rebecca. The company had no doubt you were united and determined to see Rebecca treated fairly and were prepared to take strike action if necessary. Without this support this agreement would not have been possible I would like to thank you on behalf of Rebecca and the union.

Additionally, as part of our discussions in relation to Rebecca’s case, an agreement has been reached to set up a working group to review current practices and procedures in order to improve the way similar cases are dealt with. Your Train Manager Company Council reps will be meeting with the company on 18th November to map out the range of issues to be discussed as part of the review. The intention is to a develop a framework approach drawing on good industry practice and introduce this across the network.

Once again I want to thank you all for your sterling support for your colleague which has seen her case brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

Link

If anyone is aware of a similar statement from Virgin Trains or of any other information in relation to this that is in or could be put into the public domain then please do bring this to our attention. However the thread will remain locked as it would appear that there isn't much to discuss as the meat of the agreement is not publicly known.

Status
Not open for further replies.