RMT vote 4 to 1 to strike over NR pay

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by The Planner, 12 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Just heard that the CEO of NR & RMTs Top Dog are Canary fans. Of course staff where going to get their way in time for Wembley :lol: On the ball City!!

2. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I wish I had a clue what this means.

3. Flamingo

Flamingo Established Member

I can just the meeting now, as both of them agree, and one as Norwich City fan to the other, they say
    "That's great, give me six!" :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: 21 May 2015
  4. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Sorry Mojo, both share a passion for Norwich city FC. In the play offs against Middlesborough On Monday.

5. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    COME ON BORO!!!!!!!!!

Serious point - i know several Boro fans who are very pleased the strike is off so the can actually get home!

6. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

I'm surprised the RMT leader didn't postpone the strike one day until Tuesday/Wednesday, but then perhaps he's hoping to be back in Norwich for the open top bus parade!

7. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Grrrrrrrrrr!!! VTEC have announced an additional 10:20 Darlington-Kings Cross & 20:05 return.

8. 313103

313103 Established Member

Actually Mick Cash is a Watford season Ticket holder, so he is a very happy man.

9. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

:lol:

10. Yabbadabba

Yabbadabba Member

The dispute is not over, it's just NR have put a different deal on the table that the union negotiators have decided to put forward to the members to see what they think about it before they decide what to do next.

11. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Just outside the TfGM empire border region.
    A point well made.

12. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There's a picture doing the rounds on Facebook that basically says the offer is:

1% consolidated backdated to 1 January 2015 (with a minimum increase for part timers)
    1.4% consolidated on 1 January 2016

No compulsory redundancies before 31 December 2016

Company and unions to hold discussions regarding "comprehensive job security package" with final details 6 Months

Discussions to be held regarding enhanced productivity within 3 Months. If successful a further 0.7% from January 2016

13. carriageline

carriageline Established Member

I (and so many others) would of been happy if they gave us RPI only (heck £500 would of done it) and extended the no compulsory redundancies, offered us a proper STANDARD retraining and relocation package, and maybe some sort of travel arrangement.

And the biggest factor was if we let them bulldoze all over us with what they offered, in a few years time when they start mass redundancies and changing our pensions
    and contracts, we will have no hope. If we show the company how unhappy we are, and how much we do for them then we may be treated a bit fairer in the future. I believe we we showed the company we are still willing to fight, and I think RMT and Mr Cash have done us proud.

Yes we was moaning about pay, but there was much bigger things at stake, both now and how we will be treated in the future.

But hey, this hasn't been said 3000 times in this thread?

Last edited: 22 May 2015
  14. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Strikes back on :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-329207...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/603923988482502657

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  15. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Hahahahahaha. No.

16. aformeruser

aformeruser Veteran Member

RMT Press Release

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms-new-strike-dates-in-network-rail-dispute/

Anyone spot the obvious mistake?

17. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Just outside the TfGM empire border region.
    Pleased that again, we have received enough notice to cancel two long-ish rail trips before we had made any bookings of tickets or reservations.. After the last "will they - won't they" strike threat, why should I bother to wait until something may happen.

I have far too many things in life to bother about to play those games of chance, so we will most probably use the 4 x 4 to visit a number of National Trust properties instead. Problem solved for us.

18. zoneking

zoneking Member

If the above statement is correct, surely it will be cheaper for Network Rail to agree to the demands of RMT?

19. RyanB

RyanB Member

This is a pain for me as I'm due to go up to Aberdeen on the 5th, do the members of the forum recommend that I cancel my ticket up to Aberdeen?

20. Kristofferson

Kristofferson Established Member

From an observer's point of view, that pay offer seems pretty poor. I don't know what RPI is at the moment, but last I checked (November 2014) it was about 1.5%? Meaning 1.4% would be a pay cut...

Cmon Network Rail, cough up and save everyone the pain.

21. ACBest

ACBest Member

Indeed. It's lovely that the RMT expect the public to be behind them, but I just don't see it.

I'm not saying I don't understand or appreciate why they're striking, and I don't disagree with the overall idea of a strike - but disrupting millions of journeys is not really a way to drum up support from the very people you're inconveniencing!

22. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

RPI is currently 0.9%

CPI is currently -0.1%

23. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

So striking is OK as long as it doesn't impact upon ME?

24. aformeruser

I hope that the dispute does get sorted but I don't agree with saying "a strike will cost you £30m while a 3% pay rise will cost less than that so give them a 3% pay rise as it's cheaper."

25. ACBest

ACBest Member

Ah, but I haven't said whether it affects me or not.
    What I meant was that in some situations, I agree with a strike - such as in support of an unfairly sacked colleague, for example.

In this situation though... I'm unsure whether I really support it or not.

26. aformeruser

Personally I would be supportive of the idea that transport workers can strike but they need to be short stoppages outside the main peak hours. So for instance you can have a daily strike between 10am and 1pm every day for a week - it'll cause disruption but won't leave people unable to make essential journeys. In Italy I believe peak trains have to run by law even during industrial action.

27. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

so you can strike if someone is going to loose their job in a manner you consider unfair but try and ensure your colleagues who are facing the chop wont be dumped in a unfair manner in a few years. odd.

So you may strike but only if it doesn't cause any inconvenience to ME.

The point with industrial action is that if you go so far as to withdraw your labour (and despite what many Tory types would have you believe that isn't something people like or want to do) is to cause maximum disruption to the employer and his customers to illustrate how vital your work is.

I love the way you seem to think everyone should troop out to protest within your narrowly defied protest window then return to work like good little boys when that window closes. Do you work for Conservative central office? ;)

28. carriageline

carriageline Established Member

I don't always agree with your posts, but that is a fantastic one!! And simply, as someone affected by this, want to thank you for your support!

29. HockeyChris

HockeyChris Member

You go on about people talking 'wibble' as you put it but I don't think I have met anyone in my life who pontificates and talks 'wibble' as much as you do. Labour lost the election, because like you they talk 'wibble'. If everyone striked because of every grievance in their workplace this country would be doomed and we would have ended up like Greece (insert any other country that has had a bailout). This country is on the right track, the unions will take us back to the dark ages if they had the chance and no before you ask I don't work for Tory central office

30. wensley

wensley Established Member

I think the words used in this office were similar to "oh dear me".

Looks like another long few days ahead to try and provide some sort of service...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.