• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT vote 4 to 1 to strike over NR pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just heard that the CEO of NR & RMTs Top Dog are Canary fans. Of course staff where going to get their way in time for Wembley :lol: On the ball City!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just heard that the CEO of NR & RMTs Top Dog are Canary fans. Of course staff where going to get their way in time for Wembley :lol: On the ball City!!
I wish I had a clue what this means.

Flamingo

Established Member

I can just the meeting now, as both of them agree, and one as Norwich City fan to the other, they say
"That's great, give me six!" :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sorry Mojo, both share a passion for Norwich city FC. In the play offs against Middlesborough On Monday.

COME ON BORO!!!!!!!!!

Serious point - i know several Boro fans who are very pleased the strike is off so the can actually get home!

Mikey C

Established Member

I'm surprised the RMT leader didn't postpone the strike one day until Tuesday/Wednesday, but then perhaps he's hoping to be back in Norwich for the open top bus parade!

dk1

Veteran Member
COME ON BORO!!!!!!!!!

Serious point - i know several Boro fans who are very pleased the strike is off so the can actually get home!

Grrrrrrrrrr!!! VTEC have announced an additional 10:20 Darlington-Kings Cross & 20:05 return.

Established Member

Actually Mick Cash is a Watford season Ticket holder, so he is a very happy man.

Yabbadabba

The dispute is not over, it's just NR have put a different deal on the table that the union negotiators have decided to put forward to the members to see what they think about it before they decide what to do next.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's a picture doing the rounds on Facebook that basically says the offer is:

1% consolidated backdated to 1 January 2015 (with a minimum increase for part timers)
1.4% consolidated on 1 January 2016

No compulsory redundancies before 31 December 2016

Company and unions to hold discussions regarding "comprehensive job security package" with final details 6 Months

Discussions to be held regarding enhanced productivity within 3 Months. If successful a further 0.7% from January 2016

carriageline

Established Member
I (and so many others) would of been happy if they gave us RPI only (heck £500 would of done it) and extended the no compulsory redundancies, offered us a proper STANDARD retraining and relocation package, and maybe some sort of travel arrangement.

And the biggest factor was if we let them bulldoze all over us with what they offered, in a few years time when they start mass redundancies and changing our pensions
and contracts, we will have no hope. If we show the company how unhappy we are, and how much we do for them then we may be treated a bit fairer in the future. I believe we we showed the company we are still willing to fight, and I think RMT and Mr Cash have done us proud.

Yes we was moaning about pay, but there was much bigger things at stake, both now and how we will be treated in the future.

But hey, this hasn't been said 3000 times in this thread?

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Strikes back on :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-329207...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

RMT union members at Network Rail are to go on strike next month after rejecting a pay offer.
They will hold a 24-hour strike from 17:00 BST on 4 June and a 48-hour strike from 17:00 BST on 9 June.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/603923988482502657

Rail workers in the RMT union to hold 24-hour and 48-hour strikes next month, after rejecting Network Rail pay offer http://bbc.in/1d1wlRG

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
RMT Press Release

RMT said:
The largest rail union, RMT, today confirmed that members will be taking 24 hours of strike action from 5pm Thursday 4th June through to 4.59pm on Friday 5th June in the current dispute over pay and jobs at Network Rail with a further 48 hours of action from 5pm On Tuesday 9th June to 4.59pm on Thursday 11th June. In addition there will be action short of a strike from 00.01 Saturday 6th June to 23.59 on Friday 12th June.

The RMT executive decision is:

We note that a meeting with our Area Council Representatives has been held and as part of a rolling campaign we instruct our members to take Industrial action as follows:

• Not to book on for any shifts that start between 17:00 Thursday 4th June 2015 until 16:59 Friday 5th June 2015
• Not to book on for any shifts that start between 17:00 Tuesday 9th June 2015 until 16:59 Thursday 11th June 2015.
Additionally,
To take action short of strike by not working any overtime or additional hours or any extended shifts and by not undertaking any call-outs duties from 0001 hours on Saturday 06 June 2015 and 2359 hours on Friday 12th June 2015

NR members voted in a ballot by 80% for strike action on a 60% turn out and by 92% for action short of strike action.

RMT has rejected the latest NR pay proposals as falling well short of what is required to maintain the living standards and the working conditions for nearly 16,000 staff across NR operations and maintenance.‎ RMT is in no doubt that a decent pay settlement for NR staff is entirely affordable.

The union has pointed out that:
• Network Rail can clearly afford to make a pay offer that maintains the standards of living of its workforce
• The company generated £1 billion of profits in the most recent financial year due to the effort and commitment of its staff
• Network Rail has is paying out £60 million in bonuses with top managers able to hit a bonus level up to 50% of their actual income.
• It has been estimated that each one day of strike action will result in compensation payments of £30 million to the private train companies
• Each additional 1% on the pay offer means an additional £7.5 million in real costs to the company – meaning that the dispute could be settled for a fraction of the nearly £100 million soaked up in bonuses and compensation.
• The union has been negotiating on the current pay round since last October – with the award being delayed from the anniversary date of the 1st January the current offer of 1% for 2105 is paltry in comparison to the real rate of inflation of 2.1% when negotiations opened towards the end of last year.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“Our representatives have today rejected the pay package offered by Network Rail and in the absence of any further movement from the company that has left us with no option but to move to a rolling programme of industrial action which will begin next Thursday.

"We have a massive mandate for action which shows the anger of safety-critical staff across the rail network at attacks on their standards of living and the blunt truth is that this dispute could be settled for a fraction of the money being handed out in senior manager bonuses and to the train operators for not running services. That is a ludicrous situation which should never have been allowed to have arisen.

“With no shortage of cash in the bonus pot and to compensate the private train companies it is no wonder that our members take the view that 1% is wholly inadequate and fails to recognise the massive pressures staff are working under to keep services running safely at a time when the company is generating profits of £1 billion. It is our members battling to keep Britain moving around the clock, often in appalling conditions, and they deserve a fair share from Network Rail for their incredible efforts.

“Our rail staff deserve a fair reward for the high-pressure, safety-critical work that they undertake day and night and the last thing that we need is a demoralised, burnt-out workforce living in fear for their livelihoods and their futures and the message has come back loud and clear that that is exactly how they feel about the current offer from Network Rail.

“RMT remains available for talks and we hope that the company will appreciate the anger amongst staff at the current offer on pay and conditions from Network Rail and that they will agree to our call to come back to the table with an improved package. We expect rock solid support for this action and will be taking a new campaign to the public under the banner "OUR JOBS - YOUR SAFETY" as we build support for the fight to stop this attack on a workforce ‎whose core role is to deliver a safe railway to the British people."

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-confirms-new-strike-dates-in-network-rail-dispute/

Anyone spot the obvious mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pleased that again, we have received enough notice to cancel two long-ish rail trips before we had made any bookings of tickets or reservations.. After the last "will they - won't they" strike threat, why should I bother to wait until something may happen.

I have far too many things in life to bother about to play those games of chance, so we will most probably use the 4 x 4 to visit a number of National Trust properties instead. Problem solved for us.

Last edited:

zoneking

If the above statement is correct, surely it will be cheaper for Network Rail to agree to the demands of RMT?

RyanB

This is a pain for me as I'm due to go up to Aberdeen on the 5th, do the members of the forum recommend that I cancel my ticket up to Aberdeen?

Kristofferson

From an observer's point of view, that pay offer seems pretty poor. I don't know what RPI is at the moment, but last I checked (November 2014) it was about 1.5%? Meaning 1.4% would be a pay cut...

Cmon Network Rail, cough up and save everyone the pain.

ACBest

Indeed. It's lovely that the RMT expect the public to be behind them, but I just don't see it.

I'm not saying I don't understand or appreciate why they're striking, and I don't disagree with the overall idea of a strike - but disrupting millions of journeys is not really a way to drum up support from the very people you're inconveniencing!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Indeed. It's lovely that the RMT expect the public to be behind them, but I just don't see it.

I'm not saying I don't understand or appreciate why they're striking, and I don't disagree with the overall idea of a strike - but disrupting millions of journeys is not really a way to drum up support from the very people you're inconveniencing!

So striking is OK as long as it doesn't impact upon ME?

pemma

Veteran Member
If the above statement is correct, surely it will be cheaper for Network Rail to agree to the demands of RMT?

Cmon Network Rail, cough up and save everyone the pain.

I hope that the dispute does get sorted but I don't agree with saying "a strike will cost you £30m while a 3% pay rise will cost less than that so give them a 3% pay rise as it's cheaper."

ACBest

So striking is OK as long as it doesn't impact upon ME?

Ah, but I haven't said whether it affects me or not.
What I meant was that in some situations, I agree with a strike - such as in support of an unfairly sacked colleague, for example.

In this situation though... I'm unsure whether I really support it or not.

pemma

Veteran Member

Personally I would be supportive of the idea that transport workers can strike but they need to be short stoppages outside the main peak hours. So for instance you can have a daily strike between 10am and 1pm every day for a week - it'll cause disruption but won't leave people unable to make essential journeys. In Italy I believe peak trains have to run by law even during industrial action.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah, but I haven't said whether it affects me or not.
What I meant was that in some situations, I agree with a strike - such as in support of an unfairly sacked colleague, for example.

In this situation though... I'm unsure whether I really support it or not.

so you can strike if someone is going to loose their job in a manner you consider unfair but try and ensure your colleagues who are facing the chop wont be dumped in a unfair manner in a few years. odd.

Personally I would be supportive of the idea that transport workers can strike but they need to be short stoppages outside the main peak hours. So for instance you can have a daily strike between 10am and 1pm every day for a week - it'll cause disruption but won't leave people unable to make essential journeys. In Italy I believe peak trains have to run by law even during industrial action.

So you may strike but only if it doesn't cause any inconvenience to ME.

The point with industrial action is that if you go so far as to withdraw your labour (and despite what many Tory types would have you believe that isn't something people like or want to do) is to cause maximum disruption to the employer and his customers to illustrate how vital your work is.

I love the way you seem to think everyone should troop out to protest within your narrowly defied protest window then return to work like good little boys when that window closes. Do you work for Conservative central office? ;)

carriageline

Established Member
so you can strike if someone is going to loose their job in a manner you consider unfair but try and ensure your colleagues who are facing the chop wont be dumped in a unfair manner in a few years. odd.

The point with industrial action is that if you go so far as to withdraw your labour (and despite what many Tory types would have you believe that isn't something people like or want to do) is to cause maximum disruption to the employer and his customers to illustrate how vital your work is.

I love the way you seem to think everyone should troop out to protest within your narrowly defied protest window then return to work like good little boys when that window closes. Do you work for Conservative central office? ;)

I don't always agree with your posts, but that is a fantastic one!! And simply, as someone affected by this, want to thank you for your support!

HockeyChris

You go on about people talking 'wibble' as you put it but I don't think I have met anyone in my life who pontificates and talks 'wibble' as much as you do. Labour lost the election, because like you they talk 'wibble'. If everyone striked because of every grievance in their workplace this country would be doomed and we would have ended up like Greece (insert any other country that has had a bailout). This country is on the right track, the unions will take us back to the dark ages if they had the chance and no before you ask I don't work for Tory central office

wensley

Established Member
I think the words used in this office were similar to "oh dear me".

Looks like another long few days ahead to try and provide some sort of service...

Status
Not open for further replies.