• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Robertsbridge Junction (for Tenterden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Its still some years away however firm progress is still happening on the planning process for the Northbridge Street to Junction Road section.

Am i correct in thinking that (3?) new Level Crossings have to be built? If so are these going to be the normal modern types or will these be the old manually operated gates?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Forgive me for asking what might seem to be a daft question, but what are we looking at here, please?

I'm assuming that the main line is on the right, with the Rother Valley Railway (Kent and East Sussex Railway) coming in from the bottom left - am I right?

Thank you.

davetheguard

Established Member
Forgive me for asking what might seem to be a daft question, but what are we looking at here, please?

I'm assuming that the main line is on the right, with the Rother Valley Railway (Kent and East Sussex Railway) coming in from the bottom left - am I right?

Thank you.

I don't live in the area, but yes you're right. Network Rail coming in from the right from London, and continuing through the station and on towards the coast. And Colonel Stephen's former railway curving in from the bottom.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I don't live in the area, but yes you're right. Network Rail coming in from the right from London, and continuing through the station and on towards the coast. And Colonel Stephen's former railway curving in from the bottom.

Ah, thank you.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's great to see the progress being made on this.
Looking at the layout of the new connection, would it be mainly for bringing in stock/light engines etc? How long is the line behind the Network Rail platform? Is it long enough to accommodate a full length railtour?
It looks quite long when you zoom in on it.
Are there long term plans to bring railtours to the line? I'd imagine it would be a popular destination but maybe the line would be too light for heavy locomotives. Just curious as I've not visited yet. :)

paul1609

Established Member
Am i correct in thinking that (3?) new Level Crossings have to be built? If so are these going to be the normal modern types or will these be the old manually operated gates?
Modern Crossings with full barriers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thank you.

From left to Right:
1. Unfinished Spur to future carriage shed
2. KESR/RVR run round loop
3. KESR/RVR Main Line to new platform 4 (ramp visible in top left of photo)
4. KESR/RVR connector to old bay platform
5. NR PW siding access from trailing points to 6.
6. Charing X to Hastings Main Down Line
7. Up Main Line
It's great to see the progress being made on this.
Looking at the layout of the new connection, would it be mainly for bringing in stock/light engines etc? How long is the line behind the Network Rail platform? Is it long enough to accommodate a full length railtour?
It looks quite long when you zoom in on it.
Are there long term plans to bring railtours to the line? I'd imagine it would be a popular destination but maybe the line would be too light for heavy locomotives. Just curious as I've not visited yet. :)

Initially for stock/ light engine movements. The limiting factor presently is the NR headshunt which has temporary stop blocks because of subsidence.
It would never be able to accomodate say a 13 carriage train but say a 6 car Hastings DEMU would certainly be possible.
The KESR PW has been completely relaid in preservation so there is no real physical restriction on what engines we could bring in. I understand that 9Fs would be banned because of the check rail in to Robertsbridge itself.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for that Paul. The work that's been done looks really good.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
From left to Right:
1. Unfinished Spur to future carriage shed
2. KESR/RVR run round loop
3. KESR/RVR Main Line to new platform 4 (ramp visible in top left of photo)
4. KESR/RVR connector to old bay platform
5. NR PW siding access from trailing points to 6.
6. Charing X to Hastings Main Down Line
7. Up Main Line

Thank you.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It will be great when it is all connected again, so much easier to get to.

Am I correct in thinking that many years there was an ITV programme, Challenge Anneka, perhaps, that help extend the line towards Bodiam? perhaps they should ask her to help complete the line to Robertsbridge :)

Last edited:

Waldgrun

Am I correct in thinking that many years there was an ITV programme, Challenge Anneka, perhaps, that help extend the line towards Bodiam? perhaps they should ask her to help complete the line to Robertsbridge :)

You are indeed correct about the program although at that time it was screened on the B.B.C. Also, it was the reopening of Northiam station that featured, however, I believe that it upset the Railway Inspectorate, because certain details were overlooked, such as having the Line inspected before carrying passengers! :oops:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's a good photo, it definitely helps makes more sense of the map and layout etc. Thanks for that

paul1609

Established Member
That's a good photo, it definitely helps makes more sense of the map and layout etc. Thanks for that
Things are beginning to gather pace, the point operating mechanism has since been installed on the point which was built by a combination of K&ESR, NR and LUL volunteers. Look out for some more news in the next few weeks.

trainmania100

Established Member
I stopped off at Roberts bridge the other day because the 03 shunter caught my eye.
It looks like an interested railway I'd like to see it connected to the KESR

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the connecting line (points and signals) be interlocked with whatever NR signal box covers there and the K&ES box so that both have to release their respective points before a route from K&ES metals to NR metals can be set?

paul1609

Established Member
Will the connecting line (points and signals) be interlocked with whatever NR signal box covers there and the K&ES box so that both have to release their respective points before a route from K&ES metals to NR metals can be set?
Robertsbridge currently has a traditional signal box that controls a length of the Hastings Line and the entrance in to the NR PW siding but the connection between NR and KESR is hand controlled (picture shows the new point lever). Its intended that Robertsbridge Junction will have a lever frame but there will be a signal box that will control the full barrier crossings at Northbridge St (old A21), Robertsbridge Bypass (A21) and Junction Rd (BXXXX). https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207914943364583&set=gm.1127909357317155&type=3&theater

trainmania100

Established Member
The connection was brought in to use today with the first ever Class 66 on the K&ESR shown standing adjacent to the site of the future Northbridge St (Old A21) level crossing https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...34653387.1073741825.646508386&type=3&theater

Great photo
Locos on 0H02 to Robertsbridge were 73965/66718/73951
So is this it then? Robersbridge is now connected to KESR?
I would visit more often but last time I went I had an hour wait for my train to hastings

simonw

Great photo
I would visit more often but last time I went I had an hour wait for my train to hastings
Nope, planning permission needed and then still a fair bit of p/w to rebuild and a few road crossings to reach agreement on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd seen the remnants of the water tower in an article I read somewhere. What a great photo.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was a main line steam charter yesterday afternoon that went through Robertsbridge Station and could see quite a lot of the work being done there. I think there were some volunteers there too as one of them waved to our train.

paul1609

Established Member
I was a main line steam charter yesterday afternoon that went through Robertsbridge Station and could see quite a lot of the work being done there. I think there were some volunteers there too as one of them waved to our train.
It was the official opening of our mainline connection yesterday by Sir Peter Hendy chairman of Network Rail there had been around a 100 guests to see him flag the 66 and 73s across the boundaries. Its a shame the charter couldn't have passed earlier, 2 black fives passing at speed would have been a brilliant background. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208002667517632&set=pcb.1143930292381728&type=3&theater
Nope, planning permission needed and then still a fair bit of p/w to rebuild and a few road crossings to reach agreement on.
Watch this space ;)
I'd seen the remnants of the water tower in an article I read somewhere. What a great photo.

The water tower is famous in our railways history we were basically so broke (nothing changes) that we couldn't afford to pay the mainline companies for water at Robertsbridge. Our locos came here and filled up from a tank filled with river water by a wind pump. We stilll have a water extraction licence from the Newmill Channel next to Rolvenden station but we don't use it anymore as we now have a state of the art Reverse Osmosis plant to extend boiler life. Another will be put to feed the recently erected water tower at Robertsbridge Junction when services start.
Great photo
Its hoped that when the line is opened it will generate sufficient extra rail passengers for the Fast Hastings service to call when the line is operating. It was tried on the saturday of a gala a couple of years ago but on the Sunday there is insufficient slack in the timetable because of the single track sections through the tunnels.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It was the official opening of our mainline connection yesterday by Sir Peter Hendy chairman of Network Rail there had been around a 100 guests to see him flag the 66 and 73s across the boundaries. Its a shame the charter couldn't have passed earlier, 2 black fives passing at speed would have been a brilliant background. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208002667517632&set=pcb.1143930292381728&type=3&theater

Yes the black fives performed very well on our railtour, it was lucky it ran at all, as the train was delayed for a considerable period, owing to the fact that it was damaged in the early morning after hitting some debris on the line in the west of London, that damaged a steam pipe so we were told. A big thanks to the crew who were able to repair the problem and allow the train to run as planned with the two steam locos.

Although we left London about an hour late, we were only about 20 mins late arriving in Eastbourne and arrived back into London in the evening about 3 minutes early I think

It will be really good when it is possible to run through trains from Robertsbride to Tenterden again. Fingers crossed for a speedy connection.
How long is your line from Robertsbridge and is there a regular passenger service planned soon on that section? I think a 2nd cousin of mine used to work on the KESR, not sure if he still does, his name is Paul.

paul1609

Established Member
It will be really good when it is possible to run through trains from Robertsbride to Tenterden again. Fingers crossed for a speedy connection.
How long is your line from Robertsbridge and is there a regular passenger service planned soon on that section? I think a 2nd cousin of mine used to work on the KESR, not sure if he still does, his name is Paul.

Stevieboy, theres a bit more effort than just crossing our fingers going on! The line from Robertsbridge Junction currently extends to Northbridge Street the Old A21. Its about 1/2 mile in total.
Theres no regular passenger service planned until the connection to junction Rd is completed. We have around 500 registered volunteers, more are wanted. There's quite a few Pauls amongst them.

Status
Not open for further replies.