• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rochester station roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
This is a pretty new station, why didn't they build the roof to cover the whole platform length? Run out of money?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
This is a pretty new station, why didn't they build the roof to cover the whole platform length? Run out of money?

Very few stations have roofs over the entire length of the platform in the UK or on the Continent this is standard and is to get a balance of cost versus shelter space.

Brush 4

Oh I see, you meant a canopy. Roof usually means the train shed or overall roof, covering the tracks as well, eg Bournemouth.

Veteran Member
The Up platform appears to have a roof for about 6 car lengths, which is quite a lot for an intermediate station. About the same as East Croydon.
London Bridge is very unusual in having almost full-length canopies, presumably to encourage people to move right down the platform!

Mikey C

Established Member
On a nice day some people might prefer to stand in the sun!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There's a few shelters as well for other passengers. But the real issue is the huge wind tunnel the new station has become...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There's a few shelters as well for other passengers. But the real issue is the huge wind tunnel the new station has become...
I knew the former station site/buildings well as a local BR manager. Rochester was always a windy spot, essentially on a viaduct or embankment next to a tidal river. The downside main buildings were demolished in the BR era even before my time so lack of shelter is nothing new.

I think that I've only been to the new station twice and can't really imagine it just now. Any chance of some pictures?

(I am struggling to understand how it can be both 'exposed' and a 'wind tunnel' at the same time. Surely a tunnel has to have sides and a roof?)

ScotGG

Established Member
Lots of new homes being built between the new station and river. This should act as a shield in future?

This shows them:

Status
Not open for further replies.