• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ROG Class 442 tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Rail Operations Group has announced details of its first passenger railtour, using a pair of Class 442 units from Waterloo to Poole on August 29th.

Details at http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/railops-tour-1/

This Charity Charter is being run by Rail Operations Group as its first Charter service. Proceed are being donated to The Railway Children – a well known and respected Charity that supports young people throughout the world.

So there you have it, the future of 442s is on charters. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
ROG are also running 442s to keep them 'warm' for future operators before they are finally withdrawn, so this sounds like a perfect excuse to 'kill two birds with one stone'! :D

Deepgreen

Established Member
Rail Operations Group has announced details of its first passenger railtour, using a pair of Class 442 units from Waterloo to Poole on August 29th.

Details at http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/railops-tour-1/

So there you have it, the future of 442s is on charters. :D

Given the recent spate of odd gauging issues on NR (mostly steam-related), there's no guarantee they will still be considered in gauge for Waterloo!

dgl

Established Member
If only NSE had had the cash to use a new traction package rather than reusing old equipment but what happened has happened.

Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

There will be a spare unit held at Eastleigh should there be issues in the final prep. Other than that there will be a travelling fitter also. Besides, why would they fail?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What will is departure and arrival times at Waterloo likely be?

I hope they also do one Poole or even Weymouth-Waterloo and back.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I'm not sure that they've got the date right. Looking at what engineering works are planned, there's a lot of engineering works planed for Clapham Junction that day with some lines closed.

Looked at RTT can't see anything mentioned yet that could be it - typically how far in advance will charters/railtours be added to TRUST?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm not sure that they've got the date right. Looking at what engineering works are planned, there's a lot of engineering works planed for Clapham Junction that day with some lines closed.

Looked at RTT can't see anything mentioned yet that could be it - typically how far in advance will charters/railtours be added to TRUST?

Varies, can be a month before or it can be up to 1 week before the tour or even later!
Sam

trainmania100

Established Member
Depends on the routing. I'd love to take a trip on it but I'm from Brighton...
If they pick up at Clapham jn I might stand a chance

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

NRE show trains running between Waterloo and Poole. Probably a diversion between Clapham and Basingstoke looking at the timings?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
From the booking form looks like it departs Waterloo at 08:00, so that rules out me going on it. Is there any locations on the SWML that have changed enough to potentially cause gauging issues? It must be over ten years ago that piggies last went to Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth

trainmania100

Established Member
From the booking form looks like it departs Waterloo at 08:00, so that rules out me going on it. Is there any locations on the SWML that have changed enough to potentially cause gauging issues? It must be over ten years ago that piggies last went to Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth
Departs WAT around 0900
Goes via woking

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Where's that damned 'Like' button ?

I second that, it was comment of the week so far for me!

Besides, shouldn't the tour be a one-way jobbie to Rotherham?

Froth and wibble will fill the form for weeks or months when the HST farewell tour lands, that's for sure...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Windsor side is closed, all trains running on the main side, i.e. through Clapham Jn P7-P11 and onwards via Wimbledon. So that in itself is a fairly normal engineering works arrangement, that happens a good few times every year.

antharro

Damn. Can't make this, I'm on a heavy night out on the Saturday, so getting up to Waterloo for 8am will not happen. Still, I'll be in Bournemouth so will go out and see it instead.

Are there any locations between Bournemouth and Poole where the line speed is particularly fast? How about going through Parksrone or Branksome stations?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Damn. Can't make this, I'm on a heavy night out on the Saturday, so getting up to Waterloo for 8am will not happen. Still, I'll be in Bournemouth so will go out and see it instead.

Are there any locations between Bournemouth and Poole where the line speed is particularly fast? How about going through Parksrone or Branksome stations?

I think it's probably 60 or 70 max west of Bournemouth, probably the best place to film it would be either Baiter or Poole Park.

The date is 29/08. 0903 from Waterloo arrive Poole 1202. Out via Guildford and Havant. 1Z42

Return depart Poole 1525 and arrive Waterloo 1734. Runs via Winchester and Surbiton. 1Z43

ECS from and returning to Eastleigh. Units will be 2 currently 'stored' 442 units.

RobShipway

Established Member
Dam, already going to another event coincidentally at Clapham, but this Clapham is in Bedfordshire!

Which happens to be where I live. Near the Fox & Hounds pub..........which was nice

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
If only NSE had had the cash to use a new traction package rather than reusing old equipment

Motors and traction gear were still in relatively new condition as was driving coaches of stock they came from (youngest mk1's built after HST production started) . Resistor grids were 1988 new but 1967 based. The trailers were shagged however being 1950's LHCS conversions and mk1's were losing favour anyway. Reuse kept costs down. 455's reuse motors and compressors from EPB and SUB while brake equipment from 442 are as old as 1920's NOL sets. Sadly that has led to decision to store 442 as bodywork is still good although not meeting modern DDA requirements but traction is now shagged.

CosherB

Established Member
Motors and traction gear were still in relatively new condition as was driving coaches of stock they came from (youngest mk1's built after HST production started) . Resistor grids were 1988 new but 1967 based. The trailers were shagged however being 1950's LHCS conversions and mk1's were losing favour anyway. Reuse kept costs down. 455's reuse motors and compressors from EPB and SUB while brake equipment from 442 are as old as 1920's NOL sets. Sadly that has led to decision to store 442 as bodywork is still good although not meeting modern DDA requirements but traction is now shagged.

Is 'shagged' a technical description?! lol

VEP3417

i remember the dodgy and poor excuse they had for bike racks in the small gurds compartment, how a bike never fell on the guard ill never know ;)

still be nice to hear the sound of them again

Status
Not open for further replies.