• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ROG drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

4F89

I think both have their benefits. No stop/start with FOCs. No passengers to worry about. No platforms to stop at (to pick up/set down at least). Seeing more of the country from your office window. I’m glad I’m working for a TOC because of the perks and pension etc, but I can see why FOCs appeal to some. If I was offered a trainee position with a FOC I’d have taken it of course, because it’s a way in to driving, but TOC was more ideal due to the nature of the work and the better work/life balance.
See, a FOC lifestyle suits me better, no passengers, more variation, more rest, no stop start. To say one is better than the other is daft, they are different beasts. Really dont fancy passenger work in the slightest. But each to their own.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4F89

Both are certainly better than the real world. Some drivers forget this.

Stigy

Established Member
See, a FOC lifestyle suits me better, no passengers, more variation, more rest, no stop start. To say one is better than the other is daft, they are different beasts. Really dont fancy passenger work in the slightest. But each to their own.
Exactly, I agree. Certain aspects are better in both really. Obviously the travel perks are better for a TOC as there aren’t any for freight, but the lack of stop/start work again, is obviously better for a FOC because at a TOC there’s obviously just this type of work with the occasional ECS moves an added bonus.

4F89

I never travel on trains outside work, so it's no bother to me. If that had to be my sacrifice, when I get the benefit of all the rest of FOC work, I'm more than happy. Sod actually driving trains!

Red1980

Both are certainly better than the real world. Some drivers forget this.

So true. Unfortunately that "some" that you speak of has a loud voice and doesn't half make the job feel worse than it actually is sometimes.

They should probably pay attention to the building site they're passing on their train in their nice warm cab in the pi**ing down rain and take a look at the poor sod hod carrying knee deep in crap for minimum wage when they feel like whingeing next.

Status
Not open for further replies.