• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock companies building replacements for rolling stock they built

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
An example of this is the Class 458 on SWR, built by Alstom, which will be replaced by Alstom Aventras.

A couple more examples:
The Class 710s replaced the Class 172s which were both by Bombardier, that’s the only other example I could think of.
720s replacing 379s on non Stansted services. Anyway this could be a new thread if anymore examples are thought of.

Any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Alstom Aventras

All of their design, and probably all of their manufacturing will have been done by Bombardier before the acquisition.

We don't call Class 91s Alstom just because GEC was later purchased by them.

Energy

Established Member
All of their design, and probably all of their manufacturing will have been done by Bombardier before the acquisition.

The first 168s were built under Adtranz but they are commonly regarded as being all built by Bombardier.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Aventras are Bombardier products.
Not anymore. Alstom has acquired the rail division of Bombardier

py_megapixel

Established Member

Maybe not, but the technical services and suchlike will be provided by Alstom for the entirety of their service life. It wouldn't surprise me if they get Alstom nameplates. And any follow on orders once the acquisition is complete will unequivocally be Alstom units.

rebmcr

Established Member
Not anymore. Alstom has acquired the rail division of Bombardier

If you're going to cite an article, I would advise reading it.

The work is not over yet. There still needs to be a few more regulatory approvals and conditions. The process is expected to be finalised in the first half of 2021.

py_megapixel

Established Member
If you're going to cite an article, I would advise reading it.
I know, and I *did* read it... however, Aventras are ultimately going to be supported by Alstom for the entire of their service life, and Alstom will almost certainly build any follow-on orders after 2021. Therefore, I think it's reasonable to suggest that the Aventra is shortly to become an Alstom product.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Nevertheless, the company that built the IC225 was GEC Alsthom (from 1989).
In the reverse direction, you can find TGV clones running around in Spain also emblazoned with a GEC Alsthom manufacturer's plate, which GEC had little to do with.
It was a 50-50 joint venture until GEC sold out to Alstom in 1998.

On the topic of class 458 and Aventra, they are completely different designs, whoever's name is on the outside.
While we can anticipate Alstom taking control of Derby, it won't happen until next year with all the bureaucracy and due diligence of the transaction still to come.
So Bombardier continues with its product line for the time being.

Taunton

Established Member
Swindon works built locomotive and rolling stock replacements for what Swindon had built previously, for over 100 years, which applied pretty much to other major railway works as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.