• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

? -> Rolling stock for 'Night Ferry' available in 00-gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 89

Hello and good evening,

I hope, I've chosen the right section and somebody could help me please.

While browsing some model train retailers in GB on the internet, I've spotted the superb Hornby model of the former Southern HA, after TOPS came in effect: BR class 71. E.g. wikipedia says, that class 71-locos also hauled the famous passenger trains 'Golden Arrow' and 'Night Ferry' from London to Dover v.v., which drew up my attention. As an enthusiast of night trains all over the world, the 'Night Ferry' would be very interesting to be repiclated in 00-gauge. Are currently the CIWL-/SNCF-sleeping coaches, which were in use for the 'Night Ferry', in production by any modeltrain company or were they ever offered in former years? My research wasn't succesful.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Phil from Germany

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello and good evening,

I hope, I've chosen the right section and somebody could help me please.

While browsing some model train retailers in GB on the internet, I've spotted the superb Hornby model of the former Southern HA, after TOPS came in effect: BR class 71. E.g. wikipedia says, that class 71-locos also hauled the famous passenger trains 'Golden Arrow' and 'Night Ferry' from London to Dover v.v., which drew up my attention. As an enthusiast of night trains all over the world, the 'Night Ferry' would be very interesting to be repiclated in 00-gauge. Are currently the CIWL-/SNCF-sleeping coaches, which were in use for the 'Night Ferry', in production by any modeltrain company or were they ever offered in former years? My research wasn't succesful.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Phil from Germany

Hi @89001 and welcome to the forum.
It doesn’t look like there’s an awful lot available in 00 although Lima have done the odd thing in H0.
There’s a couple of threads on rmweb that might be worth a look though including this one?

Gloster

Established Member
In the last few years of the Night Ferry the consist on the English side included one Mark 1 BCK for the guard; I think that this was the only item of standard BR stock in the train. There were two vehicles based at Clapham Junction that were swapped over once a week. They had modified gangways, at least at one end, but were otherwise standard, I believe.

Veteran Member
In the last few years of the Night Ferry the consist on the English side included one Mark 1 BCK for the guard; I think that this was the only item of standard BR stock in the train. There were two vehicles based at Clapham Junction that were swapped over once a week. They had modified gangways, at least at one end, but were otherwise standard, I believe.
Before the train was retimed in the 70s there were 4 or 5 BR(S) coaches including catering vehicles (a 1957 list has Dining Saloon, RKB, CK, BSO but I recall two separate catering cars, as the seats passengers couldn't mix with the sleeper customers for customs and immigration reasons).

Edit: I've now come across a 1968 list where the available stock (UIC compatible) stock is RUO (fitted to couple to the sleepers), RB, CK, 3TSO, BCK.
So my memory of another Buffet is incorrect, apologies.
I don't remember seeing 3TSOs in the train, but presumably if enough passengers were expected (and not too many sleepers) they would be available.

Incidentally the BCKs to the mid 60s were Maunsell coaches, the last to remain in BR service.

Last edited:

class 89

Hello and good evening,

thanks a lot for your replies including all informations.

Have a good start into the week and seasons greetings.

Regards
Phil from Germany

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello and good evening,

thanks a lot for your replies including all informations.

Have a good start into the week and seasons greetings.

Regards
Phil from Germany

Same to you Phil. Have a great Christmas!

Hi Phil,

There are some 3D printed 'Night Ferry' vehicle bodies available here in a variety of scales from 1/32 to 1/160; two versions of the Sleeping Cars and four vans. They are all body only though, so you need to come up with bogies, chassis etc.

Also, many years ago, a range of etched brass kits was produced by MARC Models for Model Rail Magazine, but these have long been unavailable and are extremely difficult to find now.

Best regards

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.