• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling Stock - masses of stock coming off lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
And when you have to start paying rent, or saving for a mortgage, good luck with that attitude!
Let him have his fun! I remember going first class down to London and back over many a long weekend when my now-wife lived down there and I was stuck up in Manchester.

Safe to say that now I'm between railcards and with a mortgage to pay first class is but a dream!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Er - I like how you have all decided that I won’t be able to afford first class when I buy a house! Or rather, I don’t...

I can assure you that first class travel is an enjoyable experience that I will maintain to enjoy regularly for as long as I wish - and mortgages won’t get in the way. (Rent won’t apply as I definitely plan to buy straight out)

Moving on - are many GWR HSTs going to be gone by December? That isn’t irrelevant because this is a thread about rolling stock coming off lease.

Because I plan to get a 7day first class season ticket between Reading and Didcot, hitting up to 14 HSTs/IETs per day. (although I’d only be travelling on 4 or 5 of the 7 days valid)

Clansman

Established Member
Er - I like how you have all decided that I won’t be able to afford first class when I buy a house! Or rather, I don’t...

I can assure you that first class travel is an enjoyable experience that I will maintain to enjoy regularly for as long as I wish - and mortgages won’t get in the way. (Rent won’t apply as I definitely plan to buy straight out)
Unless your parents are minted or you reap travel benefits off them (if they work in the railway), good luck living with them until you're married if you think you are gonna travel first class and own a house right from the offing my friend. In the kindest way possible - enjoy your fun while it lasts.

Moving on - are many GWR HSTs going to be gone by December?
There are a few sets that will be off lease come December, most if not all of them being split and going to Loughborough and Doncaster as part of ScotRail's HST refurbishment program.
In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't say that's many in comparison to how many GWR have currently in service.

superalbs

Established Member
Unless your parents are minted or you reap travel benefits off them (if they work in the railway), good luck living with them until you're married if you think you are gonna travel first class and own a house right from the offing my friend. In the kindest way possible - enjoy your fun while it lasts.

The brutal reality of 'adult fares' will soon kick in. Wish I took more advantage of child fares whilst I was still 15. :/

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Haha! Chiltern is generally held in high regard by members because it has part funded the Aylesbury Parkway and Oxford projects, introduced some loco hauled services and put in good seating and tables on its DMUs. It is not perfect but it is certainly a contender for the best ToC.
But they are also part of Arriva, which in some eyes disqualifies them from winning anything.
Also remember Chiltern (and XC) have been propped up by profits from Arriva Train Wales in the past.

mic505

8 HST GWR sets are planned for withdrawal from the December timetable change. So far 3 sets have been withdrawn.

Class 170101

Established Member
Safe to say that now I'm between railcards and with a mortgage to pay first class is but a dream!

Some deals to be had in First Class if you can book in advance and if you are lucky they will be cheaper than standard class fares too.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
8 HST GWR sets are planned for withdrawal from the December timetable change. So far 3 sets have been withdrawn.

Let’s get this right. 2 sets were due to come off lease on 31/08/17. One went, the other was postponed until 31/01/18 as Wabtec weren’t ready for it. Two sets went off lease on 20/10/17, two sets are due to go on 30/11/17 and two more on 31/12/17.

The December timetable change only takes out two HST diagrams, these effectively being the units that go on 31/12/17.

bonzawe

Let’s get this right. 2 sets were due to come off lease on 31/08/17. One went, the other was postponed until 31/01/18 as Wabtec weren’t ready for it. Two sets went off lease on 20/10/17, two sets are due to go on 30/11/17 and two more on 31/12/17.

The December timetable change only takes out two HST diagrams, these effectively being the units that go on 31/12/17.
They also lose their 180's in the December TT change.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
This is good news! Decent stock is actually becoming available to cascade at last... I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen. Mind you I have now seen a 4-car EMU at Wigan, and not a TPE one bound for Scotland either.

CosherB

Established Member

I can assure you that first class travel is an enjoyable experience that I will maintain to enjoy regularly for as long as I wish - and mortgages won’t get in the way.

Oh yes they will.

xc170

When he does get a mortgage, he'll also need a job to go with it, meaning very little time for these first class jollys...

Enjoy it while it lasts, kid.

Clansman

Established Member
Could always work as a first class host for Virgin, then he'll get to lounge about in Coach K to his heart's content.

Can't blame him for enjoying himself though, while he still can!

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any plans for newer units to replace those 319s that are staying after the 331s arrive? Would most likely be a political nightmare if the DfT (even if they don’t mess with rolling stock) avoided doing its usual micro management.

Personally, I’d like to see bi-modes operating a 1tph service between Manchester Airport - Barrow and Windermere, splitting/joining at Lancaster. Which units which would meet the Connect standards would most likely be the easiest to convert?

Established Member
Maybe you’ll even become the new announcer of choice...

Getting back on topic, is anyone aware of any plans for newer units to replace those 319s that are staying after the 331s arrive? Would most likely be a political nightmare if the DfT (even if they don’t mess with rolling stock) avoided doing its usual micro management.

Personally, I’d like to see bi-modes operating a 1tph service between Manchester Airport - Barrow and Windermere, splitting/joining at Lancaster. Which units which would meet the Connect standards would most likely be the easiest to convert?

Well you might like to see it but I doubt it will happening, converting EMU's to Bi-mode isn't exactly going to cheap and some EMU designs may not be suitable. Northern will have 195's for Barrow and some alternate tech for Windermere. As for the 319 EMU's I can only see them being replaced in the current franchise if either Porterbrook experience really strong demand for the 769's and make Northern a good offer or Dft become too embarrassed by the number of newer EMU's sat in sidings

sd0733

Established Member
They usually get withdrawn as they come due for any exams or heavy maintenance. Any serious faults will cause the odd change but mostly it's exam based.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Within the next few weeks and months we'll be getting to the point where if a 14x (on Northern at least) decides to turn the heating system up to 11 as they tend to do from time to time, it might well be the end...

Wouldn't surprise me if 144012 is one of the first to go, due to being non-standard.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well you might like to see it but I doubt it will happening, converting EMU's to Bi-mode isn't exactly going to cheap and some EMU designs may not be suitable. Northern will have 195's for Barrow and some alternate tech for Windermere. As for the 319 EMU's I can only see them being replaced in the current franchise if either Porterbrook experience really strong demand for the 769's and make Northern a good offer or Dft become too embarrassed by the number of newer EMU's sat in sidings

I do agree with the OP there. A self-contained service group using 769s on an hourly clockface Manchester Airport to Barrow/Windermere service splitting/joining at Lancaster would be a real improvement and would certainly drive growth as well as providing capacity to take it by way of 8-car running on the busiest section. Put in some second hand 2+2 Chapman seats taken out of refurbed 156s in the Brighton Express layout (or just use those 319s as donors) and people will like them. LM's sole Brighton Express 319 is very popular - excellent legroom. And add a large bicycle area for Windermere too. Might have to split the Coast service at Barrow if they can't go round the Coast (I think only narrower 23m stock fits there) but that's no massive thing if the connections are planned well.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I do agree with the OP there. A self-contained service group using 769s on an hourly clockface Manchester Airport to Barrow/Windermere service splitting/joining at Lancaster would be a real improvement and would certainly drive growth as well as providing capacity to take it by way of 8-car running on the busiest section. Put in some second hand 2+2 Chapman seats taken out of refurbed 156s in the Brighton Express layout (or just use those 319s as donors) and people will like them. LM's sole Brighton Express 319 is very popular - excellent legroom. And add a large bicycle area for Windermere too. Might have to split the Coast service at Barrow if they can't go round the Coast (I think only narrower 23m stock fits there) but that's no massive thing if the connections are planned well.

Battery powered 379s would also be good for the route - there’s nearly no chance 769s would be suggested, as they don’t have Connect level specification and the money doesn’t appear to be anywhere to fund it.

For Windermere, they are perfect - but for Barrow, it would be tight with the 60 mile range they had during the trial. However, I’m sure battery technology has come some ways since then, and I’m sure the DfT would be happy to consider some short electrification in two very marginal seats.

D365

Veteran Member
I’m really not confident about the feasibility of a squadron 379 battery conversion. Don’t forget that they had to remove the toilet tanks from 013 to make space for the battery packs and associated cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.