• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling Stock OO Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have recently regained my interest in railway modelling after a very long break. Please can someone remind me on OO carriages, what "Maunsell" & "Hawksworth" means, are they the type of carriages that came before Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 etc. What sort of dates would these be from, (post or pre ww2?)
Also were "Clerestory" coaches that seemed to run on the GWR &LMS from a much earlier era?

Many Tks & Rgds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Prior to nationalisation many carriage designs were referred to by the name of the CME who presided over the company at the time that they were introduced, which is a very useful means of identifying the time period that carriages originate from.

Hawksworth was the final CME of the Great Western Railway between 1941 and 1948, so Hawksworth coaching stock is a post-WW2 design.

Maunsell was the first CME of the Southern Railway from 1923 to 1937 (and was CME of the SECR from 1913 prior to this), so Maunsell coaches are a pre-WW2 Southern Railway design.

Carriage designs with clerestory roofs very much reached their zenith in the 1890s, but clerestory roofs on new designs of coaching stock were mostly dropped shortly before the start of WW1.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Prior to nationalisation many carriage designs were referred to by the name of the CME who presided over the company at the time that they were introduced, which is a very useful means of identifying the time period that carriages originate from.

Hawksworth was the final CME of the Great Western Railway between 1941 and 1948, so Hawksworth coaching stock is a post-WW2 design.

Maunsell was the first CME of the Southern Railway from 1923 to 1937 (and was CME of the SECR from 1913 prior to this), so Maunsell coaches are a pre-WW2 Southern Railway design.

Carriage designs with clerestory roofs very much reached their zenith in the 1890s, but clerestory roofs on new designs of coaching stock were mostly dropped shortly before the start of WW1.

That what I thought, that's great, thank you very much for this info. Rgds Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.