• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock through Pewsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi,

Am I right in thinking Pewsey is only served by Class 43 + Mk 3 HST sets?

Because it seems a little odd for a station only to receive HSTs, although lucky locals!

Thanks, and if you know of any others please tell me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, I like them much, I just don't think they are as amazing as people say. (Except the VTEC ones)

Correct on which, the fact that it is odd, the fact that the locals are lucky, or the fact that they only have HSTs?

Sprinter153

Correct on which, the fact that it is odd, the fact that the locals are lucky, or the fact that they only have HSTs?

All of the above!! Though I did work a Turbo stopping at Pewsey a few years back during one of the Reading blocks when they were running Reading-Westbury.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Wow. I’d love for there to be a station solely served by VTEC. I’d move house next door!

NSE

Established Member
Am I right in thinking there used to be two morning Turbos that started from there? They may well still exist if they did

Kite159

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking there used to be two morning Turbos that started from there? They may well still exist if they did

Don't think there is anymore.
----
You might think it's great having a station only served by HSTs, however if you look at the timetable you will find the station hasn't got the best service off-peak. Busy in the peaks due to Pewsey being a railhead for several other places for commuters heading to London/Reading

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/PEW/2017/10/18/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=call&order=wtt

TheWalrus

Established Member
I lived in the area for many years and don’t think there were any turbos starting there, the only times turbos have called at Pewsey is during the blokade as already mentioned.

You are correct that for now it is only usually served by HSTs. I wouldn’t say the locals are lucky as the service is so infrequent. I lived near both Pewsey and Bedwyn and used both stations probably twice in 6 years. I always caught the train from Swindon as it had a regular service.

However Pewsey used to have regular calls by 180s up to around 2008/2009? I think?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Newark NG might be a better one. Whilst it gets EMT services to Lincoln and beyond, for north/south journeys the only realistic way to make a journey is via VTEC. Retford is a little more connected.

Unless you are at Retford and want to travel to Newark :lol:

(Although that is better than being at Pewsey and wanting to travel to Bedwyn, as only a tiny handful of services call at both)

TheWalrus

Established Member
Unless you are at Retford and want to travel to Newark :lol:

(Although that is better than being at Pewsey and wanting to travel to Bedwyn, as only a tiny handful of services call at both)
There’s never been many services calling at Bedwyn and Pewsey and there’s even less now than there were.

kieron

Established Member
There’s never been many services calling at Bedwyn and Pewsey and there’s even less now than there were.
There are more trains than there are buses, though (the best you can manage is a roughly hourly service with a change in Marlborough). As Pewsey and Great Bedwyn had a combined population below 5000 in 2011, there probably isn't that much demand for travel between them anyway.

Thinking about it, if either (or both) had closed in the '60s (like Corsham and Wootton Bassett did on the line through Chippenham), I don't suppose there would be much interest in the idea of reopening it now.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Three currently on weekdays

1A72 0605 Frome - Paddington
1J93 1805 Paddington - Frome
1C94 1835 Paddington - Exeter St Davids

Status
Not open for further replies.