• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Romania advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham43404

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge of train travel in Romania. I have scoured the internet and found a few useful bits of information but I can't find everything I would like to.

Myself and my wife are going to Romania for a 5 night break in September and are contemplating a day out from Bucharest to Brasov. The booking site seems straightforward enough and the trains are more than plentiful. The prices are more than reasonable as well, like most things in Romania.

What I am wondering though is what train travel in Romania is like on the intercity trains and what the main difference is between 2nd class and 1st class? I'm guessing that it will basically be a bit more of an exclusive carriage rather than service based like in the UK.

Any help or advice is very welcome :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

graham43404

go first class, it's dead cheap and the seats are nicer (and largely empty)

Thanks for that :D , for what little extra it seems to be to travel first class it seems that it would be best doing that.

Also most of the trains seem to be Inter Regio trains rather than Intercity, but take roughly about the same amount of time I've noticed.

LouJ

You will find a description of the journey on the following web page

http://www.world-railways.co.uk/journeys/journey/133/

It is quite slow as the above article suggests but is very scenic. Do take refreshments and snacks with you as there is very little on train catering. I have also posted some pictures of the action at Bucuresti Nord station from where you will leave.

http://www.world-railways.co.uk/gallery/gallery.php?id=344

Note that first class is worth paying extra for. The InterRegio trains are basically intercitiy services but stop at more stations that the IC services. Time keeping was very good when I was there a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

graham43404

Very helpful and many thanks :D

I can imagine it is quite a scenic journey once up in the mountains as we have been by road around Sinaia area and enjoyed the great scenery, as well as seeing the train tracks by the side of the road.

Elwyn

I travelled 1st class from Brasov to Bucharest 2 years ago and it was fine and on time. There was even a dining car. Watch out for the taxi drivers at Bucharest station. They will try and charge you an outrageous price like 20 euros for taking you half a mile. Best to get a different company to pick you up (The usual guide books suggest various companies that are OK).

Searle

Established Member
Very very slow, that's all I can say! If you're not going first class then try and get on the train earlier and bag a standard compartment to yourself if the train has them. A really nice way to travel if no one else decides to join you in the compartment!

dutchflyer

Established Member
ALL seats on all IR+IC trains are reserved. I think for ROM its even often more expensive to book online as paying locally-they add a kind of service fee.
There are 1 or 2 NON-CFR (=the state) trains too, pay on board. This summer there are extensive works on that line, between Ploiesti and Brasov. In general trains in ROM are never known for speed-thus timekeeping is quite easy.

graham43404

Ha ha. Were you serious about first class in the UK being service based?
:lol:

In the case of East Coast I would say generally yes, in terms of Virgin well that can't possibly be serious in my experiences with them in First Class sad to say.

One thing we won't do is get into a taxi as it is a dodgy thing in Bucharest. Thankfully the Metro covers where we want and the Bus from the airport to the city is regular and very cheap.

Last edited:

LouJ

I travelled 1st class from Brasov to Bucharest 2 years ago and it was fine and on time. There was even a dining car. Watch out for the taxi drivers at Bucharest station. They will try and charge you an outrageous price like 20 euros for taking you half a mile. Best to get a different company to pick you up (The usual guide books suggest various companies that are OK).

The taxi problem in Bucuresti has been mostly solved. The official taxis outside the station are very cheap. Just check the meter is running. Wasn't overcharged at all anywhere in Romania during my stay. At nord station follow the signs to the official rank.

graham43404

A bit of a bump for this topic as this morning I've just booked the tickets for our day trip to Brasov. For the two of us in first class it has come to the grand total of £38 for the return journey :D

Add to that the pittance that you pay on the subway system and you have a very cheap day out and my first foreign train journey as well!

neilmc

I've found central European trains to be older than UK trains but perfectly comfortable and incredibly cheap. Enjoy your day!

Status
Not open for further replies.